Author Topic: Mhairi Black to step down as SNP MP at next election  (Read 243 times)

Sebastian Toe

Mhairi Black to step down as SNP MP at next election
« on: July 04, 2023, 05:21:30 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66101123

Westminster needs more of her, not less!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Outrider

Re: Mhairi Black to step down as SNP MP at next election
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 08:09:47 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66101123

Westminster needs more of her, not less!

From what little I've seen of her explanation, she needs less of Westminster though, and I find it hard to blame her.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 09:51:45 PM »
I don't have that high opinion of Black but agree that the HoC needs a thorough reinvention. The clubbish nature with its many subsidised bars, and ludicrous hours seems entirely unprofessional.

One of my friends was elected , having made it clear she would only serve 2 terms because it was too weird an environment and job. As it happened, after winning her seat for a second time, there was then an early election - May's - and she lost her seat but she's never been upset by that. Rather she was relieved.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 09:54:57 PM by Nearly Sane »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 08:22:58 AM »
The physical layout of the House of Commons does it no service. After it was bombed in WW2 Churchill was determined that it should be rebuilt exactly as it had been.  The layour is a reference to the church choir stalls in which the first parliament met in the early middle ages.

The HoC layout is complemented in its inadequacy by the FPTP electoral system which encourages voting according to tribal loyalty rather than an examination of political philosophy. The concept "Opposition" is considered to be paramount in all aspects of HoC behaviour.  And why should votes require a physical head count? Why cannot MPs be given a a hand-help wireless device on which they could record their votes merely by pressing a button? The result could be announced within a matter of seconds.

Members should sit at individual work desks in a chamber which could be designed to accomodate a variety of political opinions, and co-operation should be as likely a response to any particular situation as opposition.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?