Author Topic: Super By Election Thursday  (Read 711 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Super By Election Thursday
« on: July 19, 2023, 01:23:16 PM »
Tories making real efforts to play down expectations. On this basis, keeping their deposits will be played as a triumph.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66231722

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Super By Election Thursday
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »
Tory-triple-wipe-out day tomorrow - can't wait! ;D ;D ;D
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 05:36:30 PM »
In two of the seats, the previous Conservative majority was around 20,000. Are we saying those majorities are going to be wiped out?

I won't stop laughing until Sunday week if it happens, but I am a bit sceptical. In fact, I am a bit concerned that a Tory victory in either seat will be used as a stick to beat Labour.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 05:39:25 PM »
In two of the seats, the previous Conservative majority was around 20,000. Are we saying those majorities are going to be wiped out?

I won't stop laughing until Sunday week if it happens, but I am a bit sceptical. In fact, I am a bit concerned that a Tory victory in either seat will be used as a stick to beat Labour.

I agree with your assessment. Deliberately downplaying their chances so that they can claim some kind of victory. Plus, ULEZ is making Uxbridge unpredictable.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »

Yes, it seems as if Mason is happy to do the Tories work in playing down expectations, an age old ruse, for them.

We should, of course, have had 4 by elections but Nad's idea of immediate is flexible.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 05:46:01 PM »
I agree with your assessment. Deliberately downplaying their chances so that they can claim some kind of victory. Plus, ULEZ is making Uxbridge unpredictable.

Do you think people are basically for or against? I know opposing CAZ where I live (Bristol) is probably a vote winner.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 06:03:13 PM »
Do you think people are basically for or against? I know opposing CAZ where I live (Bristol) is probably a vote winner.

Against.

I was quite taken aback recently when talking to some friends who live in one of the areas affected by the expansion of ULEZ and the vitriol that they expressed towards the mayor. There has been some serious work undertaken on social media to whip this up into some kind of deciding issue in London.

So taken aback I might add that I'm re-evaluating the friendship!
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 06:08:44 PM »
Against.

I was quite taken aback recently when talking to some friends who live in one of the areas affected by the expansion of ULEZ and the vitriol that they expressed towards the mayor. There has been some serious work undertaken on social media to whip this up into some kind of deciding issue in London.

We've recently had an LEZ implemented in Glasgow. In principle, I'm not opposed but it's been badly done. It makes me question the competence of those implementing it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 06:09:15 PM »
Against.

Don't be too harsh on them. If ULEZ is implemented in a similar way to our CAZ, it will be easy to get angry about if you can't afford to buy a compliant car.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »
Don't be too harsh on them. If ULEZ is implemented in a similar way to our CAZ, it will be easy to get angry about if you can't afford to buy a compliant car.

They are not affected personally. They change their new cars every couple of year. My way of saying they are not poor!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 06:17:54 PM »
They are not affected personally. They change their new cars every couple of year. My way of saying they are not poor!

I'm not affected personally by CAZ since my nine year old 295 horsepower Audi S3 is compliant. However, the way it has been implemented places the burden heavily on poorer people and the method of collection of charges is virtually a scam. Additionally, it part of the reason why Bristol's town centre is dying.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 06:31:11 PM »
I'm not affected personally by CAZ since my nine year old 295 horsepower Audi S3 is compliant. However, the way it has been implemented places the burden heavily on poorer people and the method of collection of charges is virtually a scam. Additionally, it part of the reason why Bristol's town centre is dying.

I understand that, but my friends have never shown the slightest concern for the poorer sections of our society before, and their motivation seems much less driven by concern and much more driven by rage.

I mean I've stayed friends with them throughout Brexit even though we hold opposing views, throughout their (still ongoing) love and admiration for all things BJ, because despite all that I liked them, but what they said shook me and it sounded all too much like the sort of stupid hatred you see on Twitter. Precise words were "He (Khan) needs to be taken out". This is why I'm reevaluating my relationship with two people who I thought were simply misguided, and who now turn out to be the sort of people I avoid on social media, or to put it bluntly, who are twats.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 06:33:19 PM »
I understand that, but my friends have never shown the slightest concern for the poorer sections of our society before, and their motivation seems much less driven by concern and much more driven by rage.

I mean I've stayed friends with them throughout Brexit even though we hold opposing views, throughout their (still ongoing) love and admiration for all things BJ, because despite all that I liked them, but what they said shook me and it sounded all too much like the sort of stupid hatred you see on Twitter. Precise words were "He (Khan) needs to be taken out". This is why I'm reevaluating my relationship with two people who I thought were simply misguided, and who now turn out to be the sort of people I avoid on social media, or to put it bluntly, who are twats.
Presumably climate change is a conspiracy for them?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 06:36:21 PM »
Presumably climate change is a conspiracy for them?

Yes. And covid.*

I've known them for 30+ years but this has only come about in the last 4 or 5 years, and they've just become feral. One of them used to vote Labour but she's full of the fervour of a convert now.

* As in Covid was/is being used to control the population.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:38:59 PM by Aruntraveller »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 06:40:18 PM »
Yes. And covid.

I've known them for 30+ years but this has only come about in the last 4 or 5 years, and they've just become feral. One of them used to vote Labour but she's full of the fervour of a convert now.
The selling of Johnson and Co as anti-establishment against 'The Blob', similar to Trump in the US, is a fascinating case study.

ETA: In many ways the selling of Trump as an outsider was a much easier proposition, Johnson was sold as that despite being an elected politician for many years.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:33:23 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 11:40:16 PM »

At the very least, their majorities are likely to be hugely reduced, so Labour will still be able to make political capital out of the results.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 06:20:05 AM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2023, 06:30:57 AM »
They held the seat that had the smallest Tory majority of the three!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2023, 08:28:33 AM »
They held the seat that had the smallest Tory majority of the three!

As NS said: the curse of ULEZ.