Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 2013 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Destiny
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2023, 04:35:44 PM »

Of course....I am not going to stop writing anything that I believe in! According to me they are valid ideas.  You can call it woo or whatever....that's your problem.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2023, 04:50:32 PM »
Sriram,

Of course....I am not going to stop writing anything that I believe in! According to me they are valid ideas.  You can call it woo or whatever....that's your problem.

You are of course free to post whatever nonsense you wish to post. Your reliance on terrible arguments for support and your refusal to engage with that problem when it's explained to you just makes you look cowardly and dishonest as well as foolish though.

It's your choice though.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2023, 05:02:03 PM »

You are free to have your opinion.  According to me they are just reactions to apparent threats to your fondly held views....

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2023, 05:10:17 PM »
Sriram,

You are free to have your opinion.  According to me they are just reactions to apparent threats to your fondly held views....

Wrong again. Competing opinions would be, say, one person saying tea is better than coffee and someone else saying the opposite. What happens here though is that logically sound arguments are meeting logically not sound arguments, which is a very different matter.

"According to me" is actually just your avoidance of the logically sound arguments and your repetition of the logically not sound ones. If you weren't so cowardly and/or dishonest and actually addressed that problem perhaps you'd see that it's actually your "fondly held views" that you're terrified of having challenged.     

Again, your poor reasoning is letting you down here.

God

Outrider

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2023, 11:20:45 PM »
Of course....I am not going to stop writing anything that I believe in! According to me they are valid ideas.

We know you believe it, what you're failing to convey is why, or at least why anyone else should.

You can call it woo or whatever....that's your problem.

Is it, really? You're coming here to try to convey ideas, to explain some deeper understanding of reality that you think you have that us 'teen-minded rebels' don't share. If you're failing in that mission, is that really our problem, or is it yours?

You're not connecting with your message, you are not giving anyone an adequate basis to accept your claims. That's your problem, given that it's apparently what you're here for.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 06:15:46 AM »

Communication involves two sides Outrider. One is conveying an idea. The other is the understanding of it.

BTW...I am not forcing any of you to read or respond to my posts. You feel threatened every time I link something about a scientist saying something different from what you think.....and you go into a frenzy.

As they have said in the above link....it will take another generation to open up to new ideas. You guys cannot do it. 

But I am not going to stop writing what I think...as long as they are within board rules. You guys are so taken in by your own beliefs that you seem to forget that this is not a science board...  It is a R&E board with sections on philosophy and others.   

« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:18:57 AM by Sriram »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 10:19:55 AM »
Sriram,

Communication involves two sides Outrider. One is conveying an idea. The other is the understanding of it.

We “understand” your ideas, just as you understand my ideas about leprechauns. What we also understand though is that the reasoning you attempt to justify your ideas are as absent or hopeless as my justifications for leprechauns.   

BTW...I am not forcing any of you to read or respond to my posts. You feel threatened every time I link something about a scientist saying something different from what you think.....and you go into a frenzy.

No-one feels “threatened” or ‘goes into a frenzy”, and your links have never been to findings that reach even the basic threshold of scientific veracity. At best they're speculations or conjectures, but that’s all they are. 

As they have said in the above link....it will take another generation to open up to new ideas. You guys cannot do it.

No it won’t. No-one possessed of a functioning intellect will “open up to new ideas” until and unless they have sound reasoning to justify them. You’re just assuming that your woo claims are true here (yet another of your fallacies by way, called begging the question), and then complaining that the rest of us haven’t caught up with you. Woo claims remain just woo claims though until you (finally) provide some justifying arguments for them that aren’t hopeless.     

But I am not going to stop writing what I think...

No-one cares what you think, any more than they care about what I think about leprechauns. What people actually care about is just whether you have sound arguments for why you think them. And so far at least, the answer to that is a resounding “no”.

…as long as they are within board rules. You guys are so taken in by your own beliefs that you seem to forget that this is not a science board...

The only beliefs that people here are “taken by” is that reason- and evidence-based conclusions are likely to be epistemically more robust than blind guessing, fallacious reasoning and avoidance of challenges. That’s your problem remember?

It is a R&E board with sections on philosophy and others.

Yes, but philosophy requires sound arguments – which is where your efforts fall apart.

Yet again, your poor reasoning has let you down here.   

God

Outrider

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2023, 11:25:07 PM »

I could be trite and point out that the burden in an attempt to communicate is on the communicator, but the problem we have here isn't that we don't understand what you're saying, it's that we have a higher threshold for accepting claims than you do. Which is to say, we have a threshold.

And again with the attempted ad hominems. No-one is afraid your woo - we might be afraid of what happens if a considerable number of people start to accept such a low threshold for accepting claims, so we do the world a favour and try to highlight some basic standards of academic rigour. No-one is in a frenzy, we're composing logical, coherent, targetted rebuttals to your woo that you continue to fail to address. Just like here where, instead of having an argument and making it, you attempt to denigrate your opposition in the hope that it will appear like you've made a point because you don't appear to have the capacity to actually make a point.

As they have said in the above link....it will take another generation to open up to new ideas.

These aren't new ideas. Souls, afterlives, magic interconnectedness.... these are not new ideas.

You guys cannot do it.

We can. We won't on the basis of what you've provided, which is basically nothing more than a claim in search of supporting evidence and a sense that you somehow know more that the combined wisdom of all of conventional science because, umm.... hang on....

But I am not going to stop writing what I think...as long as they are within board rules.

And you have that right. I'm simply pointing out that unless you start to improve your reasoning you're going to continue to get the same sort of responses. If you continue to peddle woo, people are going to continue to point out that you're peddling woo.

You guys are so taken in by your own beliefs that you seem to forget that this is not a science board...  It is a R&E board with sections on philosophy and others.

You are making claims about the real world, about supposedly testable phenomena. You are suggesting that the conventional science is invalid, but you have no basis for your claims. It's not just that you don't have scientific evidence, it's not that your claims are not material, it's that you have nothing. You have the Emperor's New Clothes of arguments, but you're surrounded by people pointing out that your naked and you continue to wander around the public sphere waving your woo in the face of anyone that happens to wander by.

We aren't taken by our own beliefs, we're waiting for you to put a jacket on your claims so it can go out in public.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2023, 07:08:34 AM »

Well....many of you obviously prefer the usual bible bashing sessions again and again....because you are sure of your ground.  But when it comes to subjects like consciousness, panpsychism, randomness, emergence, NDE's and such others....it gets a bit uncomfortable. 

I understand!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:10 AM »

Well....many of you obviously prefer the usual bible bashing sessions again and again....because you are sure of your ground.  But when it comes to subjects like consciousness, panpsychism, randomness, emergence, NDE's and such others....it gets a bit uncomfortable. 

I understand!

I don't think you do, Sriram: that's the problem.

Outrider

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2023, 09:19:26 AM »
Well....many of you obviously prefer the usual bible bashing sessions again and again....because you are sure of your ground.

Mischaracterisation of the argument, and no actual point.

But when it comes to subjects like consciousness, panpsychism, randomness, emergence, NDE's and such others....it gets a bit uncomfortable.

It doesn't, it gets a bit vague. You have assertions, not arguments. You're not making a case, you're making a wish-list. You hope that your claim is correct, you believe it is, but you have nothing to offer to explain why.

I understand!

You don't appear to be offering any evidence of that, either.

O.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2023, 02:05:44 PM »
Sriram,

Well....many of you obviously prefer the usual bible bashing sessions again and again....

Identifying and explaining to you patiently why your arguments (when you occasionally bother to attempt some) are wrong isn’t “bible bashing”. Not that you care, but what you've done here is called the straw man fallacy.

…because you are sure of your ground.

“We” are only as sure as the supporting logic justifies us to be. That’s enough though to know when and why you go wrong.

But when it comes to subjects like consciousness, panpsychism, randomness, emergence, NDE's and such others....it gets a bit uncomfortable.

No it doesn’t. There’s nothing uncomfortable about finding you overreach to conclusions you can’t justify. You on the other hand really should be uncomfortable about that, except that you’re too dishonest ever to address the problem.   

I understand!

Thus far you’ve provided no sound reasons to suggest you understand anything. It’s never too late to start though…

Once again, your poor reasoning has let you down here.

God