Author Topic: Many cancer waiting time targets set to be dropped in England  (Read 317 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Many cancer waiting time targets set to be dropped in England
« on: August 14, 2023, 10:13:12 AM »
I can see the logic of this but given the current issue with the waiting lists, it's going to look as if it's an attempt to fudge the figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66494983

ProfessorDavey

Re: Many cancer waiting time targets set to be dropped in England
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 12:40:13 PM »
I can see the logic of this but given the current issue with the waiting lists, it's going to look as if it's an attempt to fudge the figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66494983
The Government is using the summer to focus on its five priorities in weekly chunks, providing focus on progress and initiatives.

It's the NHS for the Government this week.

Last week was Small Boats week - that went well, didn't it!!!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 12:54:39 PM »
The Government is using the summer to focus on its five priorities in weekly chunks, providing focus on progress and initiatives.

It's the NHS for the Government this week.

Last week was Small Boats week - that went well, didn't it!!!

Having read the BBC report, it looks like they are making the changes in good faith, for once.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 02:22:27 PM »
Having read the BBC report, it looks like they are making the changes in good faith, for once.
Colour me sceptical, but the diagnosis and treatment of all cancers seems rather more complex than something that can be boiled down to just three targets.

Also I be very interested to know whether the three they've kept have been selected as they are the ones with the greatest chance of being hit. And of course if you want to 'chase the target' it is easier to do with three rather than nine. And the 'chase the target' mentality can have unintended detrimental effects as something that may be really important in terms of patients may be deprioritised if not associated with a target in favour of focussing on just a tiny number of outcome measures.

And of course monkeying with the targets means it becomes impossible to compare the past with the future as you will be comparing apples with cabbages.

Notable too that the threshold seems to have been downgraded for the new diagnostic target - previously thresholds were set at 85%, now this one will be 75% - Cancer Research think this should actually be 95%, not 85%, let alone 75%.