Author Topic: Why is there something instead of nothing?  (Read 1090 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Why is there something instead of nothing?
« on: August 23, 2023, 09:10:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

Here is a nice conversation between people of different beliefs, including your patron saint Richard Dawkins.... on 'why is there something instead of nothing?'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcellKvotyI

Cheers.

Sriram

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Why is there something instead of nothing?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 10:42:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

Here is a nice conversation between people of different beliefs, including your patron saint Richard Dawkins.... on 'why is there something instead of nothing?'.

Cheers.

Sriram

When you say "your patron saint Richard Dawkins", I assume you are talking about Vlad. He isn't anybody else's patron saint.

Anyway, interesting looking discussion.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »
I think the guy in the white suit is interesting. He's pretty eloquent but his ideas are so simplistic he'd get torn to shreds on this forum consisting of fairly ordinary people.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 11:34:25 AM »
Looking at the comments I am amazed at how many people are taken in by Dawkins' blinkered arguments, cherry picking those which support his desired objective.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
Looking at the comments I am amazed at how many people are taken in by Dawkins' blinkered arguments, cherry picking those which support his desired objective.

Excuse me - I just have to clear up the mess caused by my irony meter exploding.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 01:16:30 PM »
Watched it - if Swinburne is typical of 'Christian thought', which is an oxymoron based on his contribution in this discussion, then Christianity is truly fucked. He maybe needs to grow up and move on from fairy stories.

He gave me laugh though, so I'll give him credit for that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 05:00:12 PM by Gordon »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 01:45:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Cheers.

Sriram
I'm not sure that it a relevant (or at least an appropriate) question as it biases towards the notion of there being some kind of purpose, begged in the use of 'why'. It also succumbs to confirmation bias on the basis that the very notion that there is something rather than nothing creates an imbalance between the two options - effectively we couldn't be having the discussion were there to have been nothing rather than something.

The relevant question is 'how' is there something instead of nothing.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 02:01:47 PM »
Hi everyone,

Cheers.

Sriram
Started watching this, but from its outset it is achingly biased. So a discussion about cosmic existence involves four people - three are there to represent three major religions ... everything else is represented by a biologist. Where are the astronomers, the theoretical physicists etc etc.

And actually is seems more to be a discussion about biological life, not about something vs nothing at all (here is the clue - not living things are just as much 'something' as living things).

Now imagine were there to be the same discussion (if that were possible) amongst some living things in a distant part of the universe, or amongst living things on earth millions of years ago. Would the discussion of biology remain relevant - likely it would. Would a discussion around theoretical physics/cosmology remain relevant - absolutely it would. Would the discussion around human-based religions that have been around on one planet for a few thousand years remain relevant - absolutely not.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:07:08 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 03:45:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

Cheers.

Sriram
Watched more now and this just drifts into a discussion of human morality - of good vs evil. This is a peculiarly narrow aspect of 'something v nothing'. One that has no relevance to non living existence, no relevance to most living entities and is really (as discussed in the piece) merely something about the development and nature of human societies and cultures. Now I don't deny this to be important to one species, on one planet and in the blink of an eye in cosmic terms - but is is effectively completely irrelevant to an actual discussion of 'something v nothing' outside the narrowest of narrow anthropocentric thinking.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 03:47:17 PM »
Why do birds suddenly appear everytime he is near. Just like Vlad, they long to be close to Dick.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:51:08 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2023, 04:25:51 PM »
Prof,

Where are the astronomers, the theoretical physicists etc etc.

Actually a logician would be fine. As Prof Brian Cox says in response to this question: "Why assume that nothing is less likely than something?"
"Don't make me come down there."

God

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 04:51:22 PM »
RD is a brilliant expositor of zoology and evolution, on which he is a first-rank expert, but annoyingly blinkered and rigid on philosophy and theology, on which he is no more authoritative than any intelligent layman.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 05:25:16 PM »
AB,

Presumably you'll be back soon with an example of one such RD's "blinkered arguments" then right? 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 05:27:17 PM »
Hi SteveH,

...annoyingly blinkered and rigid on philosophy and theology...

Just out of interest, where do you think he's "annoyingly blinkered and rigid on philosophy and theology"?

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 07:51:52 AM »

Watched the opening statements from all the participants but they were grindingly dull.

Why is there something rather than nothing? Perhaps more to the point, why is nobody talking about that question?

Dawkins didn't really say anything new, just that evolution explained the complexity and apparent design of life but at least he had the sense to recognise that he wasn't really qualified to talk about physics or cosmology which might be more relevant. He mentioned a multiverse but that doesn't answer the question either.

Was Richard Swinburne trying to be a dim and dull as he could? Droned on and on for ten minutes, making assumption after assumption and assertion after assertions. Didn't seem to get that a god would be something so doesn't answer the question.

Silvia Jonas wasn't much better. She doesn't seem to understand that mathematics isn't a science and apparently thought assuming a purpose for existence might answer the question. What!!? You can't have a purpose without something existing, so there is obviously no answer there. Didn't even seem to get that a purpose for existence was a religious idea either.

Jessica Frazier probably get closest to addressing the question but it's "who knows?", which is actually quite accurate. Unfortunately then collapsed into the daftness of the argument from contingency.

All of them seem stuck in the pre 20th century view of time and causality, which really isn't great when you're supposed to be thinking about deep questions.

Don't think I'll waste another hour on it.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Stranger

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2023, 07:54:33 AM »
...including your patron saint Richard Dawkins....

Why on earth is it that so many theists think that Dawkins is somebody special for atheists/atheism? It's bizarre.

Stranger

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2023, 07:59:39 AM »

Wow. From the guy who endlessly spouts illogical, unevidenced drivel, refuses engage with any counterarguments, and basically ignores every fact and logical argument that undermines him.

How you can post something like this (apparently) in all seriousness, is quite beyond me. Talk about pots and kettles.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 03:16:13 PM »

Richard Dawkins interviewed by Piers Morgan.... on evolution, gender, feminism etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=505UazMNgLg

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2023, 09:56:06 PM »
AB,

Presumably you'll be back soon with an example of one such RD's "blinkered arguments" then right?
Dawkins says he only accepts evidence which can be physically measured.
Can you measure a thought, or a belief?
He needs to come to terms with a reality which goes far beyond what we can perceive with our physical senses.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 11:10:01 PM »
He needs to come to terms with a reality which goes far beyond what we can perceive with our physical senses.

If you can't perceive it with your physical senses then on what basis can you demonstrate this other 'reality'?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2023, 07:00:00 AM »
If you can't perceive it with your physical senses then on what basis can you demonstrate this other 'reality'?

Remember the stubborn blind man problem?! It is the same here. The other reality cannot be demonstrated. It has to be experienced and understood through insight. 

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »
AB,

I'm not sure that he does (do you have a citation?) but in any case having some method to distinguish a claim of evidence from dumb guessing seems sensible to me. Doesn't it to you?

No idea, but it's irrelevant. A thought or a belief is subjective. If you want to make a claim of evidence, then you need a method to demonstrate the objective.

That's your problem – you cannot just assert a subjective belief to be an objective fact.   

He no doubt has already "come to terms with" the likelihood that there's a lot more to reality than we can perceive. Your mistake though is to claim to know more about what that reality is without any method of verification. What you actually have is dumb guessing, but nothing more.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
Sriram,

Remember the stubborn blind man problem?!

It's not a problem - it's just bad reasoning. Your blind man doesn't know that light exists - he's just made a dumb guess and got lucky. You could equally have posited a blind man who thought there were fairies dancing at the end of his garden.

I've corrected you on this mistake several times before, but because you always run away rather than address the reasoning that falsifies you you've learnt nothing.

It is the same here. The other reality cannot be demonstrated.

Then how do you know it's real and not imagined?

It has to be experienced and understood through insight.

It's not "understood" at all though - "it" is just a subjective belief with no path to objective fact.

Once again your poor reasoning and refusal to address your mistakes when they're explained to you has let you down here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:45:16 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm not sure that it a relevant (or at least an appropriate) question as it biases towards the notion of there being some kind of purpose, begged in the use of 'why'. It also succumbs to confirmation bias on the basis that the very notion that there is something rather than nothing creates an imbalance between the two options - effectively we couldn't be having the discussion were there to have been nothing rather than something.

The relevant question is 'how' is there something instead of nothing.

"why" can be used in several ways. It doesn't have to imply purpose.

"Why did my car break down?"

"Why does the Sun appear to move across the sky?"

"Why do metals conduct electricity?"

"Why is there such a diverse range of living things in the World?"

None of these questions imply purpose.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
RD is a brilliant expositor of zoology and evolution, on which he is a first-rank expert, but annoyingly blinkered and rigid on philosophy and theology, on which he is no more authoritative than any intelligent layman.

Since theology is built on an assumption that has not been shown to be true, we can dismiss it.

The philosophy guy they did have was rubbish. You don't need to be a philosopher to tear his arguments to shreds.