Author Topic: Floo's Farm  (Read 2297 times)

Enki

Floo's Farm
« on: August 24, 2023, 11:37:03 AM »
Some people on this forum will remember Floo(later she came back as 'Roses' I believe.) They might also remember how she talked about a farm she lived on in North Wales which had a field where a vision of the Virgin Mary had been claimed.

Yesterday evening I came back from dancing and was idly flicking through various TV channels when I happened to see the last part of a BBC1 programme called 'Paranormal:The Girl, The Ghost and the Gravestones'. As I watched the last ten minutes I slowly realised I was probably watching our friend Floo talking about the ghostly happenings at her Penyffordd Farm.

As all of the four episodes are on BBC IPlayer, this morning I watched the first one and, sure enough, It was all about this 'ghostly' farm and there was Floo in all her glory.

I am not going to comment on the quality of the programmes, but, for those who remember Floo(Roses), you might well find it interesting, especially as we have some considerable background knowledge of her many posts on this forum.

If you want to watch the four episodes, IPlayer has them all. Just use search and put in the word 'Paranormal'
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Floo's Farm
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
I made a post yesterday in 'What are you watching?' in 'Literature, Music etc.' on the same subject. Here's a link to the first programme (of four): Roses herself appears in the last programme.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0g31444/paranormal-the-girl-the-ghost-and-the-gravestone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:45:06 AM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 01:07:58 PM »

Floo's experiences were discussed here some years back.

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=10788.0

In case anyone is interested.

Here is something more..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/northeastwales/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8359000/8359261.stm
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:19:26 PM by Sriram »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
The programmes could have done with a lot of editing, but with some fast forwarding there is an interesting story there. One of the questions posed is why would any person or persons carry out the acts, or lie about them, and yet no one ever asks why any 'spirit' would act like that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 02:22:05 PM by Nearly Sane »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »

What do we know about the compulsions and motivations of another level or form of life altogether?  We can only observe that they are there....

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 03:20:45 PM »

What do we know about the compulsions and motivations of another level or form of life altogether?  We can only observe that they are there....

....or we can quite reasonably suggest that someone is having us on.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 03:37:41 PM »

Only habitual skeptics would do that. There are too many cases around the world and across generations, for it to be dismissed so casually.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »

Only habitual skeptics would do that. There are too many cases around the world and across generations, for it to be dismissed so casually.

Who you calling habitual? I'm only sceptical when any day in a week has a "y" in it.

There are lots of unexplained phenomena for sure. I don't happen to believe they have a supernatural element. I don't believe in ghosts because the evidence is lacking. Whenever people have told me they have seen a ghost the descriptions and the circumstances lead me to believe they were dreaming/hallucinating/misinterpreting matters.

You seem to be oblivious to the fact that human beings have always been great story tellers. I apply that in the literal sense of story telling or in the more pejorative sense of telling untruths.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »

How?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 06:14:34 AM »
How?

What do you mean 'how?'   The same way Rose and others observed it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 08:14:36 AM »

What do you mean 'how?'   The same way Rose and others observed it.
How do you get to your idea that it was some non human entity?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 08:21:50 AM »

There is no reason to believe otherwise....unless you are a sworn materialist....!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 08:29:01 AM »

There is no reason to believe otherwise....unless you are a sworn materialist....!
So when people saw the 'Miracle of the Sun', the sun really was swinging around in the sky?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 08:39:08 AM »

Yes, because in the whole of human history no-one has been mistaken, no-one has misunderstood, no-one has tried to mislead, no-one has tried to mystify others. Ever.

Crop Circles. Cottingley Fairies. Amityville Horror. All absolutely true. There is no reason to believe otherwise. Oh wait....

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »

Bearing in mind that the claim is 'ghost' and taking into account the provenance of the claim, and the key claimant, I reckon we can just dismiss this claim and this plodding TV programme.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 01:31:17 PM »

Philosophical ideas  of a soul and spirit are well known. NDE's are well known.  Based on these...there is no reason not to accept ghosts and spirits. Such experiences are very common world over for thousands of years. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
Philosophical ideas  of a soul and spirit are well known. NDE's are well known.  Based on these...there is no reason not to accept ghosts and spirits. Such experiences are very common world over for thousands of years.
Harry Potter is well known.

Maeght

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 07:56:46 PM »

Ideas and unexplained experiences aren't a reason to accept that ghosts exist.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 05:54:32 AM »

We should accept only your inane 'explanations' of hoax, shadows, wind, imagination etc. etc. ?!   :D

Maeght

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 07:54:54 AM »

We should accept only your inane 'explanations' of hoax, shadows, wind, imagination etc. etc. ?!   :D

You never will I know. You are to far gone and too certain about your beliefs to actually consider alternative explanations. Try actually addressing the points being made rather than labelling things as inane or talking about 'you people' or even worse posting links to your blog. Ideas and unexplained experiences - whatever they are - aren't a reason to accept any claim. Discuss.

torridon

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2023, 08:04:18 AM »

Most people do not think scientifically or logically about such things.  Many people find it easier to go along with popular superstitious claims rather than putting in the hard yards to eliminate the legacy of culturally induced irrational thinking.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2023, 08:04:43 AM »

Maeght

If such complex and abstract matters could be resolved through mere discussions and opinions....we wouldn't have such fundamental differences, would we?!!

Maeght

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »

Maeght

If such complex and abstract matters could be resolved through mere discussions and opinions....we wouldn't have such fundamental differences, would we?!!

Things can be resolved through discussion of facts if people are willing to do so and are able to accept that their opinions are not facts or evidence.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2023, 07:02:19 AM »
Things can be resolved through discussion of facts if people are willing to do so and are able to accept that their opinions are not facts or evidence.

To be able to notice and understand the evidence, people should have the necessary faculty and insight.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 07:11:08 AM »

To be able to notice and understand the evidence, people should have the necessary faculty and insight.

That sounds like a recipe for confirmation bias.

One of the oddities in this whole pantomime is how an avowed and strident atheist found themselves able to also believe in 'ghosts'.