Author Topic: Floo's Farm  (Read 2303 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Floo's Farm
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2023, 07:27:03 AM »
That sounds like a recipe for confirmation bias.

One of the oddities in this whole pantomime is how an avowed and strident atheist found themselves able to also believe in 'ghosts'.

When 'eyes' open and the inner faculty awakens....the other reality can be 'seen' and understood.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2023, 07:35:47 AM »

When 'eyes' open and the inner faculty awakens....the other reality can be 'seen' and understood.

We're straight back to confirmation bias again.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2023, 07:39:01 AM »

Confirmation bias could be on either side.  Even people who see evidence for such paranormal phenomena but refuse to accept it ...do have confirmation bias.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 07:49:06 AM »
Confirmation bias could be on either side.  Even people who see evidence for such paranormal phenomena but refuse to accept it ...do have confirmation bias.

I'd suggest that may be because this 'evidence' isn't really evidence at all: the gist of this story, iirc, is to do with the ghost of a deceased child: before worrying about the alleged identity of said child I'd like to see evidence (not woo or pseudoscience) that the some form of essence from a once living person has survived their death and can interact in the physical realm.

It the absence of any credible evidence I'm inclined to dismiss 'ghosts' as superstitious nonsense that is only taken seriously by the highly credulous, which takes us back the one-time occupant of the property featured in this programme.

Maeght

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2023, 07:50:51 AM »

To be able to notice and understand the evidence, people should have the necessary faculty and insight.

Or the necessary pre-existing beliefs and a vivid imagination. The necessary faculty of being credulous.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 07:59:38 AM by Maeght »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2023, 07:57:10 AM »

See....how your confirmation bias makes you people think...?!

Enki

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2023, 10:18:49 AM »

To be able to notice and understand the evidence, people should have the necessary faculty and insight.

And there's your problem right there. Other people can have alternative experiences and consequentially different insights and understanding. Me, for instance. So, how do we differentiate between them? I suppose you could say that your experiences are much more valid than mine, or that my experiences don't really count, and I could say exactly the same about yours. So where does that get us? Precisely nowhere.

My response is to discount my experiences as subjective, and rely much more on as objective evidence as I can find. What's yours?
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2023, 11:20:11 AM »

See....how your confirmation bias makes you people think...?!
...and your confirmation bias, doesn't!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2023, 12:18:46 PM »
And there's your problem right there. Other people can have alternative experiences and consequentially different insights and understanding. Me, for instance. So, how do we differentiate between them? I suppose you could say that your experiences are much more valid than mine, or that my experiences don't really count, and I could say exactly the same about yours. So where does that get us? Precisely nowhere.

My response is to discount my experiences as subjective, and rely much more on as objective evidence as I can find. What's yours?

Floo's ghost sightings are objective... except that you people don't want to accept due to your confirmation bias. You would rather explain it away as a hoax or some other inane reason.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2023, 12:38:36 PM »
Floo's ghost sightings are objective... except that you people don't want to accept due to your confirmation bias. You would rather explain it away as a hoax or some other inane reason.

And again

So when people saw the 'Miracle of the Sun', the sun really was swinging around in the sky?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2023, 01:18:18 PM »
Talking of confirmation bias...remember this one Sriram?

https://youtu.be/cOEv6UcFFHA?si=UjuOFxVcNYZXnNR1

Who's confirmation bias kicked in quickly when it was first posted  here?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2023, 04:10:44 PM »

'Floo' and 'objective' are terms that don't really belong in the same sentence.

Outrider

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2023, 04:33:22 PM »

That Floo believes she saw something is, probably, an objective fact. Given that we can't be sure she actually saw anything, let alone that she can correctly identify what she saw, to suggest that the entire claim is 'objective' is nonsense.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Enki

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2023, 04:35:10 PM »

To the post that you replied to here I never mentioned Floo's ghost experiences at all, and the only other post on this thread that I made was the opening post where I did not pass any opinion whatsoever. So, you're response smacks of misdirected bias...not that I'm surprised. I have not looked at the evidence in any depth to form a concrete opinion of what really happened. I do know that any 'ghostly' stories that I have looked at, the so called evidence has either been lacking or very suspect. So, next time, Sriram, I suggest you try to contain your prejudices rather than attempt to smear all and sundry.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2023, 04:39:52 PM »

I understood that Floo accepted the evidence of what her senses seemed to be telling her, but was extremely unwilling to admit to any supernatural explanation of the phenomena in question. She expected there to be a scientific explanation, but so far none has been forthcoming. None that would give a full explanation for the phenomena that people claim to have seen. Buildings containing 'memory traces' imprinted on them has been one attempt at a 'scientific' explanation, but I'm not aware of any branch of science that deals with matters like this. That all sounds a bit like the garbage trotted out by practitioners of homeopathy, who claim that their phials of virtually pure water contain 'memory traces' of the substances once dissolved in them.
As NS has suggested, I suspect the origin of these phenomena lies in the psychology of the people experiencing them, whether they are believers in the supernatural or not.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science

Enki

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2023, 10:18:02 AM »
Remember it well. I also watched the Michael Parkinson mockumentary based on this subject at the time. You may well be interested in this article on the subject by a skeptic, Deborah Hyde, from the Guardian, May 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/may/01/the-enfield-poltergeist-a-skeptic-speaks
Steven Wright

ekim

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »
Has anybody been watching the BBC 2 series 'Uncanny' ..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001rcl0/uncanny

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2023, 03:41:16 PM »
Has anybody been watching the BBC 2 series 'Uncanny' ..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001rcl0/uncanny
Yep, mentioned it a couple of times on the What Are You Watching thread.