Author Topic: The end of the phone network  (Read 567 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
The end of the phone network
« on: September 07, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
I found out today that the public phone network is to be switched off by the end of 2025.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-transition-from-analogue-to-digital-landlines

Am I alone or does this come as a surprise to other people too?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Outrider

Re: The end of the phone network
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 12:25:42 PM »
I found out today that the public phone network is to be switched off by the end of 2025.

'Turned off' is something of an overstatement - upgraded, perhaps.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 03:16:56 PM »
'Turned off' is something of an overstatement - upgraded, perhaps.

O.

No. Analogue phone sets will no longer work. The phone system will be carried entirely by broadband digital.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 05:02:35 PM »
I haven't had a landline for 20-odd years. I think lots of people gave them up years ago, and rely on moobiles*.
*As used by cows. (Typo.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 08:29:10 PM by SteveH »
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 07:24:43 PM »
We had a power cut recently, when I realised that our modern rechargeable landline phones would not work. I guess I could keep some spare batteries but it would be nice to be able to plug a phone with a simple cable into the socket to use the landline.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 01:33:57 PM by Spud »

torridon

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 08:52:34 PM »
No. Analogue phone sets will no longer work. The phone system will be carried entirely by broadband digital.

This is bad news for people who don't have internet, often elderly people.  VOIP is not going to work in a power cut when you most need to call someone.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Maeght

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 10:08:50 PM »

Not a surprise to me.

Outrider

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 09:35:13 AM »

Yes. So there will still be a phone network, there will just be some redundant technology that's no longer used in it. It just doesn't seem like much of anything to shout about really. It's like suggesting that the rail network was being shut down when we switched from steam to diesel/electric...

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 10:24:31 AM »

This is already being rolled out. Out analogue phone stopped working some months back.

In one respect it is a very minor change - everyone will be on IP telephony which will be installed for those that don't have internet and the you either just use the phone you already have (with a little adapter) or occasionally a phone may need to be replaced.

But I think the biggest issue is that if your network goes down, including a due to a power cut, you lose everything, including your ability to phone. Previously the most basic plug in phones continued to work even during a power cut. That could be a significant safety risk.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 01:18:18 PM »
This is bad news for people who don't have internet, often elderly people.
If you've got a phone line, you potentially have Internet.
VOIP is not going to work in a power cut when you most need to call someone.

That's true. There are digital phones sets and routers with battery backup, but they will only work in a power cut if you've actually bought one.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »
Yes. So there will still be a phone network, there will just be some redundant technology that's no longer used in it. It just doesn't seem like much of anything to shout about really. It's like suggesting that the rail network was being shut down when we switched from steam to diesel/electric...

O.

Do you understand that analogue handsets like those for current landlines will no longer work? The whole analogue system is going to be switched off.

Outrider

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »
Do you understand that analogue handsets like those for current landlines will no longer work? The whole analogue system is going to be switched off.

Yes, just like the old steam trains no longer run without coal at the yards. Yet we still have trains. It's a change, but I don't see that it's the drama it's being pitched as.

O.