Author Topic: Brain and Mind  (Read 566 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Brain and Mind
« on: September 21, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »

Hi everyone,

Here is a very interesting video about the mind and brain, consciousness, NDE's, the golden rule, time and so on. Dr.Bruce Greyson being interviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDXbXhRlEn0

I could have included this in the 'what happens when we die' thread....but I felt it deserved a separate thread. 

Cheers.

Sriram

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Brain and Mind
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 07:29:42 AM »

For those who haven't seen the video here are some highlights of what Greyson says.

1. Wishful thinking, lack of oxygen, effect of drugs are not valid reasons for NDE's. They have been disproven to have any effect.

2. Mind is not the brain though they work in combination. Brain has evolved to help us in everyday life of survival, mating etc. It filters out higher level consciousness to focus on normal life and what is needed for survival.

3. Mind and brain combine in many ways to help us survive, interact emotionally and do our normal work.

4. Mind and awareness become sharper as the brain shuts down.

5. Psychedelic drugs merely shut down the basic functions of the brain which then allows mystical experiences to happen. Elaborate mystical experiences are associated with a decrease in brain activity not an increase.

6. When brain is shutting down consciousness seems to flower. Similar to yogis and people who meditate.

7. During NDE's people can describe accurately what was going on around them at that time.

8. People understand the importance of the golden rule during NDE's. Learn empathy and see the other person's point of view. When we harm others we harm ourselves. It is a natural law not just a religious guideline.

9. Time as we know it is not the same. Though things happen in a sequence they also seem to happen at the same time. Difficult to explain in normal terms.

10. People seem to live multiple lives at the same time (like in a multiverse).

11. We all are interconnected.

Just certain points I managed to remember from the video. Please do watch the video fully. Very insightful.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:13:32 AM »

For those who haven't seen the video here are some highlights of what Greyson says.

1. Wishful thinking, lack of oxygen, effect of drugs are not valid reasons for NDE's. They have been disproven to have any effect.

2. Mind is not the brain though they work in combination. Brain has evolved to help us in everyday life of survival, mating etc. It filters out higher level consciousness to focus on normal life and what is needed for survival.

3. Mind and brain combine in many ways to help us survive, interact emotionally and do our normal work.

4. Mind and awareness become sharper as the brain shuts down.

5. Psychedelic drugs merely shut down the basic functions of the brain which then allows mystical experiences to happen. Elaborate mystical experiences are associated with a decrease in brain activity not an increase.

6. When brain is shutting down consciousness seems to flower. Similar to yogis and people who meditate.

7. During NDE's people can describe accurately what was going on around them at that time.

8. People understand the importance of the golden rule during NDE's. Learn empathy and see the other person's point of view. When we harm others we harm ourselves. It is a natural law not just a religious guideline.

9. Time as we know it is not the same. Though things happen in a sequence they also seem to happen at the same time. Difficult to explain in normal terms.

10. People seem to live multiple lives at the same time (like in a multiverse).

11. We all are interconnected.

Just certain points I managed to remember from the video. Please do watch the video fully. Very insightful.

Any evidence?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Enki

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 01:27:37 PM »
For those who have had enough interest to watch Sriram's youtube link, you might also like to watch this, which expresses a totally different point of view, based upon recent science research.  Even more recent scientific research tends to lend support to at least some of the points she is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM1IEobgw0Y

Incidentally the evidence that Bruce Greyson conveys is essentially anecdotal. As far as I am aware , for instance, there is no veridical confirmation of OBEs up to this point in time.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 10:10:05 PM »
For those who have had enough interest to watch Sriram's youtube link, you might also like to watch this, which expresses a totally different point of view, based upon recent science research.  Even more recent scientific research tends to lend support to at least some of the points she is making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM1IEobgw0Y

Incidentally the evidence that Bruce Greyson conveys is essentially anecdotal. As far as I am aware , for instance, there is no veridical confirmation of OBEs up to this point in time.

People have OBEs. Richard Wiseman describes how you can train yourself to do it. But the thing is, you aren't really out of your body. It's just a psychological state of being.

The other day, I had a vivid dream I was on the Titanic. Was I actually on the Titanic? Of course not. There's no reason why an OBE should be any different.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Enki

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »
People have OBEs. Richard Wiseman describes how you can train yourself to do it. But the thing is, you aren't really out of your body. It's just a psychological state of being.

The other day, I had a vivid dream I was on the Titanic. Was I actually on the Titanic? Of course not. There's no reason why an OBE should be any different.

Indeed.

I  find that neuroscience gives a much more convincing explanation for OBEs and NDEs than the rather mystical idea of some sort of dualism.

This article in Medical News Today is pretty sound in giving fairly up to date information and is good at dispelling some of the myths which have grown up surrounding NDE and OBE experiences.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318464
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 02:01:38 PM »

Here is a podcast interview with Dr. Jim Tucker of University of Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruL65FHeAv4