Author Topic: Amazon Prime  (Read 270 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Amazon Prime
« on: September 22, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »
Looks like I have good reason for unsubscribing from Amazon Prime

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66887717

They want to start showing me adverts.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 03:16:01 PM »
Hmm.. Will have to balance it against the free one day delivery which I often use.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 04:25:49 PM »
Hmm.. Will have to balance it against the free one day delivery which I often use.

I also use the free one day delivery, but only because it's there. If I have to wait a few days for free delivery, or even pay occasionally, I would just do that.

The main reason I keep Prime is for the free TV and films.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »

The main reason I keep Prime is for the free TV and films.
(Un)fortunately the other half has it. So (un)fortunately, I get to watch some bits and bobs.
I mean, I wouldn't  want to hear them called that, but they're excellent in Good Omens (1 & 2).
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 03:38:28 PM »
Looks like I have good reason for unsubscribing from Amazon Prime

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66887717

They want to start showing me adverts.

Humm. Haven't watched TV ads since the early availability of domestic video recorders so I'm damned if I'm going to start now. Looks like there''ll be a small add-on fee to get rid of them.

Not sure about cancelling prime. On the one hand, they trashed the limited music available without an extra fee. It used to be that it was just a limited subset of the full catalogue but now you get more music but are forced to listen to 'related tracks' so it's basically useless.

On the other, there is not only free delivery but 'first reads' (get a selection of free ebooks each month) and the ability to borrow selected ebooks for free. I've use both to try new authors and enjoyed quite a few. There's been some crap but if you didn't pay anything, it doesn't matter.

Either way, I think I'll use the video much like I use other streaming services. Wait until there's a few things you want to watch, pay for one month (or take up an offer, if you're lucky), binge and cancel again.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))