Author Topic: Smoking age should rise from 18, by one year every year - Sunak  (Read 296 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Smoking age should rise from 18, by one year every year - Sunak
« on: October 04, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »
And yet as is covered in the article this would be a free vote, so not govt policy, not a Tory policy in a GE. So what's the point in Sunak putting it in a Tory conference speech?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67008051
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 11:08:31 PM by Nearly Sane »

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Smoking age should rise from 18, by one year every year - Sunak
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 10:10:31 AM »
Maybe to influence the never smoked votes ?

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-021-12304-4#Sec15
But in party terms, it's irrelevant. It's Sunak, the brand. It has nothing to do with the Tories, and announcing it in a speech at the Tory conference is lying by obfuscation.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 12:42:10 PM »
But in party terms, it's irrelevant. It's Sunak, the brand. It has nothing to do with the Tories, and announcing it in a speech at the Tory conference is lying by obfuscation.
I agree but some won't see that, hence why they've done it. They make it seem great to MPs cos they are offering a free vote and some in the electorate will think 'wow what a great idea put forward by the Tories'
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 12:48:42 PM »
I agree but some won't see that, hence why they've done it. They make it seem great to MPs cos they are offering a free vote and some in the electorate will think 'wow what a great idea put forward by the Tories'
The Tories though aren't doing it. Sunak is. And he risks pissing off a number of Tory members, and  usual Tory voters for a policy that I doubt is a major issue for a significant number of voters.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 02:13:17 PM »

When has that ever stopped them?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 09:43:34 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.