Author Topic: Max Hastings on the Tories  (Read 371 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Max Hastings on the Tories
« on: October 12, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/the-era-of-flat-earth-conservatism-max-hastings/

I think this is quite a good summary of the state of the Conservative Party and how it got there
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Max Hastings on the Tories
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »
Comes to something when someone like him abandons the Tories. I wish there was less time to go before the GE has to be called - anything can happen in somewhat more than a year.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 10:30:28 AM »
Comes to something when someone like him abandons the Tories. I wish there was less time to go before the GE has to be called - anything can happen in somewhat more than a year.
I know what you mean but I wish I held out hope for any other lot being much better.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »
I know what you mean but I wish I held out hope for any other lot being much better.

I think pretty much any other lot would be better, at least, any other lot that is further to the left than the current lot.

As Hastings says, the current Tories are a husk of third rate hacks. I think Labour are better than that, whatever you think of their politics
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 11:24:28 AM »
I think pretty much any other lot would be better, at least, any other lot that is further to the left than the current lot.

As Hastings says, the current Tories are a husk of third rate hacks. I think Labour are better than that, whatever you think of their politics
Do they have politics beyond not being the current Tory Party? Don't get me wrong, that's a damn good selling point. It's just hard to be enthusiastic about the strapline 'Almost certainly not as useless as the current spunkbubbles' - though it would get honesty points.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 01:06:17 PM »
Do they have politics beyond not being the current Tory Party? Don't get me wrong, that's a damn good selling point. It's just hard to be enthusiastic about the strapline 'Almost certainly not as useless as the current spunkbubbles' - though it would get honesty points.

In all my years of being politically aware (approximately 50), I have never wanted to see the back of a government more than I want to see the back of this one.

I don't care about radical reforms, I just want the country to be led competently.

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
Will the Tory defectors please form a queue...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/11/ex-tory-business-minister-anna-soubry-says-she-will-vote-labour
Preferably, a very long one.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 01:17:22 PM »
In all my years of being politically aware (approximately 50), I have never wanted to see the back of a government more than I want to see the back of this one.

I don't care about radical reforms, I just want the country to be led competently.
I think that seems a high bar at the moment.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 02:25:14 PM »
Will the Tory defectors please form a queue...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/11/ex-tory-business-minister-anna-soubry-says-she-will-vote-labour
Preferably, a very long one.
Always liked Anna Soubry (f0r a Tory, which is a pretty major caveat). Now she's supporting Labour, that caveat is no more.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".