Author Topic: MP Lisa Cameron defects from SNP to Conservatives Published  (Read 383 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
MP Lisa Cameron defects from SNP to Conservatives Published
« on: October 12, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »
In the game of political runaround one of the more unusual moves. Resigning the whip, I can understand, but as steps to the right go, I don't remember this as a move in the schlocky horror politics show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67087840

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: MP Lisa Cameron defects from SNP to Conservatives Published
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 12:55:23 PM »
In the game of political runaround one of the more unusual moves. Resigning the whip, I can understand, but as steps to the right go, I don't remember this as a move in the schlocky horror politics show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67087840
Well the step to the right thing isn't the most inexplicable part of it. The SNP started as a single issue party and there's No reason why a right leaning person wouldn't have joined it.

The hard bit to explain is that the Conservative Party is opposed to Scottish independence.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:01:48 PM »
Well the step to the right thing isn't the most inexplicable part of it. The SNP started as a single issue party and there's No reason why a right leaning person wouldn't have joined it.

The hard bit to explain is that the Conservative Party is opposed to Scottish independence.
It has been a centre left party for a few political generations. I think that it's perfectly possible to have changed your mind in or to think that it's the right time for independence but it is a big jump to go from being a member of parliament of the SNP elected less than 4 years ago to opposing independence.

And it's not even as if it's an obvious careerist move.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 02:29:04 PM »
It has been a centre left party for a few political generations.
Centre-left? I'd've thought the SNP was mid-left nowadays - lefter than Labour, anyway.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 02:41:02 PM »
Centre-left? I'd've thought the SNP was mid-left nowadays - lefter than Labour, anyway.
Where it is exactly, and being further left than Labour isn't saying much as your post implies, it's been on wgat has usually been looked on as centre left for over 30 years. Moving from them to the Tories is unusual.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
I am completely shocked that the SNP think there should be a by election, and the Tories don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67098960

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 03:51:29 PM »
I am completely shocked that the SNP think there should be a by election, and the Tories don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67098960

I have some sympathy for the SNP's position. Almost certainly, most people, in the last election, voted for her because she was the official candidate for the SNP. They voted for he because they wanted somebody from the SNP to represent them.

Although, by elections seem not to be the SNP's favourite activity right now.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 03:53:58 PM »
I have some sympathy for the SNP's position. Almost certainly, most people, in the last election, voted for her because she was the official candidate for the SNP. They voted for he because they wanted somebody from the SNP to represent them.

Although, by elections seem not to be the SNP's favourite activity right now.
Were the move to be the other way though we would see the positions reversed. So any sympathy is balanced against that.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »
Were the move to be the other way though we would see the positions reversed. So any sympathy is balanced against that.

I was going to say don't be ridiculous, that couldn't happen, but then I checked and I was surprised to find there are some Conservative constituencies in Scotland.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 04:34:05 PM »
I was going to say don't be ridiculous, that couldn't happen, but then I checked and I was surprised to find there are some Conservative constituencies in Scotland.
I had been about to say there are 6 but, of course, there are now 7.