Author Topic: The 'gay tax' facing same-sex couples starting a family  (Read 277 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
The 'gay tax' facing same-sex couples starting a family
« on: October 14, 2023, 10:29:14 AM »
I don't think that it should be available on the NHS at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66927609

Outrider

Re: The 'gay tax' facing same-sex couples starting a family
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 10:26:36 PM »
I don't think that it should be available on the NHS at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66927609

Sorry, to be clear, you don't think it should be available to gay couples on the NHS, or to anyone?

For me, I don't see that it is discrimination - as a straight couple, looking to IVF for reasons not related to fertility, my wife and I were not eligible for free treatment on the NHS, because it wasn't a treatment for a condition that we had. Similarly, whilst there are reasons that gay couples can't conceive, it's not medical, they aren't seeking treatment for a condition.

I can see the frustration, but the state doesn't owe anyone children.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 09:05:30 AM »
Sorry, to be clear, you don't think it should be available to gay couples on the NHS, or to anyone?

For me, I don't see that it is discrimination - as a straight couple, looking to IVF for reasons not related to fertility, my wife and I were not eligible for free treatment on the NHS, because it wasn't a treatment for a condition that we had. Similarly, whilst there are reasons that gay couples can't conceive, it's not medical, they aren't seeking treatment for a condition.

I can see the frustration, but the state doesn't owe anyone children.

O.
To anyone. As you say the state doesn't owe anyone children.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 11:52:05 AM »
It is incredibly expensive and I would argue money that could be put to better use by the NHS.

Other options are available for gay people and indeed everyone - notably adoption.

This not only fulfils the perceived need for a child but also reduces the burden on the state and therefore on taxpayers. 3,000 children are currently awaiting adoption and a lot more are in care, around 80,000.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.