Author Topic: How many historical black Britons can you name?  (Read 815 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
How many historical black Britons can you name?
« on: October 26, 2023, 12:40:24 PM »
According to this, more than half of the population can't name one (I assume that "historical" means "dead", so Burly Chassis wouldn't count). I managed four - they are named below - don't scroll down if you want to try yourself.

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, composer
Lord Beginner (Egbert Moore), calypsoist
Lord Kitchener (Aldwyn Roberts) calypsoist
Francis Barber, Dr Johnson's manservant
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Dicky Underpants

Re: How many historical black Britons can you name?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »
According to this, more than half of the population can't name one (I assume that "historical" means "dead", so Burly Chassis wouldn't count). I managed four - they are named below - don't scroll down if you want to try yourself.

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, composer
Lord Beginner (Egbert Moore), calypsoist
Lord Kitchener (Aldwyn Roberts) calypsoist
Francis Barber, Dr Johnson's manservant

I only managed two.
Your first: S.C.T. and
Scipio Africanus, a young black slave who died aged 18 in Bristol.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipio_Africanus_(slave)&ved=2ahUKEwjChp651ZOCAxWoTkEAHXeFDH4QFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1iHdc39AKHu-P_qaRZZb-I
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 01:45:59 PM »
Mary Seacole is the only one who comes to my mind and I hadn't heard of any of those on your list.

But why would that be surprising? Why would you expect there to be any black historical figures in a country that was almost entirely populated by northern Europeans for thousands of years?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 02:33:17 PM »
Mary Seacole
Stuart Hall
Darcus Howe
Peter McLagan
Bernie Grant
Andrew Watson
Arthur Wharton
Lawrie Cunningham
Justin Fashanu
Randolph Turpin
Olaudah Equiano
Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
Phil Lynott

Be a much smaller list without footballers for me. Agree with Jeremy about a distinct lack of surprise at the relatively small number.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:28:10 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
Mary Seacole is the only one who comes to my mind and I hadn't heard of any of those on your list.

But why would that be surprising? Why would you expect there to be any black historical figures in a country that was almost entirely populated by northern Europeans for thousands of years?
Of course! How could I forget Mary S?
There's been a sizeable proportion of black people in the UK for many centuries: Queen Elizabeth once opined that there were too many "blackamoors" in London, and that something should be done about it.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Outrider

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 03:24:47 PM »
There's been a sizeable proportion of black people in the UK for many centuries: Queen Elizabeth once opined that there were too many "blackamoors" in London, and that something should be done about it.
I had Mary Seacole and Phil Lynnot, and I'd put Justin Fashanu on the list, too. I wasn't aware that Samuel Coleridge-Taylor was black, learn something new every day.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 04:04:35 PM »
I had Mary Seacole and Phil Lynnot, and I'd put Justin Fashanu on the list, too. I wasn't aware that Samuel Coleridge-Taylor was black, learn something new every day.
You're not confusing him with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, are you, by any chance? STC was white.

Outrider

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 04:29:31 PM »
You're not confusing him with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, are you, by any chance? STC was white.

I was, yes.  ::)

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 04:55:43 PM »
I was, yes.  ::)

O.

Don't feel too bad. I was going to contest that too, and point out that Steve had got his name wrong, until it occurred to me that he might be talking about somebody else.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 05:05:15 PM »

Define "sizeable". It was probably not even 1%, which means the pool of black people from which to draw historically notable people was very small even before we think about how their opportunities to become notable would have been fewer than for equivalent white people.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 05:14:00 PM »
Don't feel too bad. I was going to contest that too, and point out that Steve had got his name wrong, until it occurred to me that he might be talking about somebody else.
Here is a bit of S C-T

https://youtu.be/ItkdHooWlwI?si=igKTJ_H1r4ThKckf

ETA - A thread from when I first heard of him

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=15980.msg744170#msg744170
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 05:24:15 PM by Nearly Sane »

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »
Here is a bit of S C-T

https://youtu.be/ItkdHooWlwI?si=igKTJ_H1r4ThKckf

ETA - A thread from when I first heard of him

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=15980.msg744170#msg744170
His setting of Hiawatha is probably his best known work. The tenor aria from that 'Onaway, awake beloved' is a beautiful thing. Elgar had the insight to recognize his remarkable talent, and the generosity to promote his work.
Feel a bit of a chump for forgetting Mary Seacole, let alone the more recently deceased you mention.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
His setting of Hiawatha is probably his best known work. The tenor aria from that 'Onaway, awake beloved' is a beautiful thing. Elgar had the insight to recognize his remarkable talent, and the generosity to promote his work.
Feel a bit of a chump for forgetting Mary Seacole, let alone the more recently deceased you mention.

I tend to discount people who I can remember alive as being historical. That's why I didn't think of Bernie Grant, Phil Lynott or Justin Fashanu. I would also discount Phil Lynott because he wasn't British.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 09:37:36 AM »
I tend to discount people who I can remember alive as being historical. That's why I didn't think of Bernie Grant, Phil Lynott or Justin Fashanu. I would also discount Phil Lynott because he wasn't British.
Born in England to an Irish mother and Guyanese fatger, iirc. He's definitely Irish but also, as with many, British.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »
Winifred Attwell has just flashed in my mind.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 09:56:35 AM »
Born in England to an Irish mother and Guyanese fatger, iirc. He's definitely Irish but also, as with many, British.

But brought up in Dublin by his grandparents on his mother's side. Not British unless just being born here counts.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 10:10:33 AM »
But brought up in Dublin by his grandparents on his mother's side. Not British unless just being born here counts.
He lived in England till he went to school, and due to his parents and birth had British citizenship. It's not like John McEnroe being born in Germany with his father being in the army.

Enki

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 10:10:40 AM »
How about Clive Sullivan(1943-85), Welsh rugby league winger who played for Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers.  He is well known in rugby league circles and revered in the Hull area. He even had a main road(the Clive Sullivan Way) named after him. He was the first black captain of Great Britain in any sport when he captained Great Britain in 1972 and in the same year captained the rugby league side to be world cup champions.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2023, 04:24:26 PM »
How about Clive Sullivan(1943-85), Welsh rugby league winger who played for Hull and Hull Kingston Rovers.  He is well known in rugby league circles and revered in the Hull area. He even had a main road(the Clive Sullivan Way) named after him. He was the first black captain of Great Britain in any sport when he captained Great Britain in 1972 and in the same year captained the rugby league side to be world cup champions.

How about Charlie Williams, footballer and comedian?
Talking of his childhood, with a lavatory (hole in the ground) at the bottom of the garden: "You had to be quick - or it were chapped legs."

Le Bon David