Author Topic: We want freedom of speech, but not that speech  (Read 308 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
We want freedom of speech, but not that speech
« on: November 06, 2023, 09:06:18 PM »
GB News and Neil Oliver fighting for freedom of speech

https://archive.vn/ynwdb

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: We want freedom of speech, but not that speech
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 09:45:54 AM »
It seems a number of prominent people (I use the term loosely wrt GB News) think freedom of speech means freedom for them to speak but not anybody else.

You find people on the left and on the right trying to shut down other people's views, but at least those on the left are honest about their attitude to free speech.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:52:56 AM »
It seems a number of prominent people (I use the term loosely wrt GB News) think freedom of speech means freedom for them to speak but not anybody else.
True - on a now-defunct forum I used to post on a thick-as-pigshit, semi-literate, right-wig bigot got very upset when I disagreed with him, accusing me of thereby attacking his freedom of speech.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:32:24 AM »

You find people on the left and on the right trying to shut down other people's views, but at least those on the left are honest about their attitude to free speech.
Are they? How do you tell the difference between them?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »
Are they? How do you tell the difference between them?

They are honest in the sense that they don't give a rat's arse about free speech or "freeze peach" as they often mockingly call it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply