Author Topic: Cabinet reshuffle  (Read 2895 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Cabinet reshuffle
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2023, 01:32:13 PM »
As I suggested in my post to Aruntraveller the issues of how members in a second chamber are selected is a distinct matter to whether it is reasonable for there to be ministers in the second chamber.

It is, of course, reasonable for there to be ministers in the second chamber - otherwise how would the government be able to present legislation etc to that second chamber and conduct government work in the second chamber.

But that is an entirely different matter to appointing someone to the Lords in order to give them a major office of state. There is also a big issue with this as you normally expect ministers in those offices of state to be accountable to the commons - in other words to be expected to be called to give statements etc to MPs. Cameron isn't going to be able to do that as he isn't a member of the commons.

It's intriguing to me as to why the cabinet needs to be selected from the legislature at all. It's not the case in a number of other countries. In fact, in France, it seems to be specifically prohibited.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2023, 01:33:57 PM »
Personally, I welcome somebody half way competent ...
Cameron, competent?!? :o

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2023, 01:36:55 PM »
But when Sunak was put to the membership as one of two options in summer 2022 the membership rejected him. The process in Oct 22 that appointed him as leader (and de facto as PM) did not have any membership involvement. So, no, he doesn't have a mandate from conservative party members.

Good point. Sunak only has a mandate from the parliamentary party and even then, he was unopposed, as was Gordon Brown.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 01:37:27 PM »
Cameron, competent?!? :o

You may not like what he did but he did it competently.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2023, 01:45:51 PM »
Good point. Sunak only has a mandate from the parliamentary party and even then, he was unopposed, as was Gordon Brown.
He wasn't unopposed - Mourdant (and possibly Johnson stood against him). Brady and his 1922 committee chums created a one-off system that created a bar so high (nigh on one third of MPs) that made it pretty well impossible that more than one candidate would be nominated. The previous rules required just 5% of MPs to get on the ballot paper - under those rules Sunak would definitely have been facing a challenger. When Brown was elected the threshold was 12.5% - again had that been the threshold in Oct last year Sunak would have faced a challenger (or two).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2023, 01:50:31 PM »
What holding an unnecessary referendum when you didn't want to change the status quo and then losing it resulting in years of political turmoil and harm to the UK ... hmm yup that shows real competence.

I know he's got some real rivals from the past few years but in my view Cameron is probably the worst PM in my living memory in terms of the harm he bestowed on the UK.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2023, 01:52:30 PM »

Fpr example the EU referendum?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2023, 01:52:35 PM »
What holding an unnecessary referendum when you didn't want to change the status quo and then losing it resulting in years of political turmoil and harm to the UK ... hmm yup that shows real competence.

I know he's got some real rivals from the past few years but in my view Cameron is probably the worst PM in my living memory in terms of the harm he bestowed on the UK.
Surely that was the electorate?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2023, 02:08:17 PM »
Surely that was the electorate?
Had Cameron not gambled the future of the UK on an unnecessary referendum (the clue is that you don't need a mandate if you don't want to change something) then the turmoil would have been avoided. And if you are going to gamble then you'd better win - gambling unnecessarily and then losing seems to be the height of incompetence. Ok if the issue is pretty irrelevant, but not when it was as fundamental as membership of the EU.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »
Am I? How? Your issue, rightly,  seems to me to be having a cabinet position in the HoL.
Where have I ever said that members of the Lords shouldn't be in the cabinet - I never did. And actually there should always be at least one cabinet member from the Lords as the Leader of the Lords is a member of the cabinet.

The point is about holders of the great offices of state being in the Lords as this prevents them from being properly scrutinised by the elected members and also the principle that you should select your cabinet members from the pool of existing members of parliament, not announce someone has been appointed when they aren't actually a member of parliament.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2023, 02:26:29 PM »
Where have I ever said that members of the Lords shouldn't be in the cabinet - I never did. And actually there should always be at least one cabinet member from the Lords as the Leader of the Lords is a member of the cabinet.

The point is about holders of the great offices of state being in the Lords as this prevents them from being properly scrutinised by the elected members and also the principle that you should select your cabinet members from the pool of existing members of parliament, not announce someone has been appointed when they aren't actually a member of parliament.
What's the difference in principle between a 'great office of state' and any other cabinet post where the person holding it being in the Lords would 'prevent them from being properly scrutinised' such as Mandelson as business secretary?

As to the 'principle' that you should appoint those who arw already members of parliament, I 'm a bit confused if you are saying you think that should  apply because it usually does, or because you believe it is the right thing?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »
Had Cameron not gambled the future of the UK on an unnecessary referendum (the clue is that you don't need a mandate if you don't want to change something) then the turmoil would have been avoided. And if you are going to gamble then you'd better win - gambling unnecessarily and then losing seems to be the height of incompetence. Ok if the issue is pretty irrelevant, but not when it was as fundamental as membership of the EU.
And yet the electorate are the ones that chose to vote for leave.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2023, 02:32:42 PM »
And yet the electorate are the ones that chose to vote for leave.
Only because Cameron decided to hold a referendum when he didn't want to change the status quo and therefore there was no possible justification for a referendum - that was due to his incompetence.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2023, 02:38:03 PM »
What's the difference in principle between a 'great office of state' and any other cabinet post where the person holding it being in the Lords would 'prevent them from being properly scrutinised' such as Mandelson as business secretary?
The great offices of state are PM, CofE, Home Sec and Foreign Sec.

And I've said I didn't agree with the Mandelson case either. The point is that if you are in change of a government department (that would then include Secs of State not just the great offices) then you should be expected to have to account for your department to elected members. If you are a more junior minister this doesn't matter so much as you will have a departmental boss (the Sec of State) who can do it on your behalf.

In the current case Cameron will only be able to deliver from the despatch box in the Lords - does that mean he'll need some commons mouthpiece, but even if that happens he cannot be held accountable directly by the commons. Does it mean that Labour will have to appoint a peer as shadow FS, as that would be the only way that the normal process of government minister being questioned by their shadow could happen.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2023, 02:39:40 PM »
Well, apart from calling a completely unnecessary referendum on EU membership to try to wrong-foot UKIP, which resulted in Brexit: he is a pro-European, so that went disastrously wrong from his own point of view.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 02:42:30 PM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2023, 02:40:23 PM »
He wasn't unopposed - Mourdant (and possibly Johnson stood against him).
But both withdrew, so unopposed.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2023, 02:46:07 PM »

He said we'd have a referendum and we did. It was a political disaster for him and for the UK, but you can't say he did it incompetently.

Johnson was worse. Truss didn't have time to reach Johnson's depths but she made a pretty good stab at it in the time she did have. Sunk would be considered worse too apart from one catastrophic mistake that Cameron made.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2023, 02:55:31 PM »
He said we'd have a referendum and we did. It was a political disaster for him and for the UK, but you can't say he did it incompetently.

I certainly can.

He didn't think it through. He should have insisted on a super majority, already knowing that it was a close vote, for any chance of uniting the country and carrying through the change. You need to carry a lot more than 50% of the votes. He should have raised the bar to 60% and I personally am not sure that would have been enough.

That was incompetence. Combined with his trademark complacency.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
The great offices of state are PM, CofE, Home Sec and Foreign Sec.

And I've said I didn't agree with the Mandelson case either. The point is that if you are in change of a government department (that would then include Secs of State not just the great offices) then you should be expected to have to account for your department to elected members. If you are a more junior minister this doesn't matter so much as you will have a departmental boss (the Sec of State) who can do it on your behalf.

In the current case Cameron will only be able to deliver from the despatch box in the Lords - does that mean he'll need some commons mouthpiece, but even if that happens he cannot be held accountable directly by the commons. Does it mean that Labour will have to appoint a peer as shadow FS, as that would be the only way that the normal process of government minister being questioned by their shadow could happen.
  Sorry, I'm not getting why there is any difference between the principle of a 'great office of the state' being a member of the HoL as opposed to a being a cabinet message of other offices of state?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:10 PM »
Only because Cameron decided to hold a referendum when he didn't want to change the status quo and therefore there was no possible justification for a referendum - that was due to his incompetence.
Why, if the electorate voted for a change to the status quo, would one say that there is no 'possible justification for a referendum'?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:02:54 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2023, 04:06:20 PM »
Details of recent ministerial appts from HoL

'In December 2019, Nicky Morgan was appointed from the House of Lords to the post of Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Under Labour, Lord Mandelson served as Business Secretary and Lord Adonis at the Department for Transport.'
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:14:47 PM by Nearly Sane »

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »
Some rumblings alrerady according to the BBC that Tory MP's are unimpressed by the return of Cameron.

DC, failed to get a decent negotiation with the EU, then failed to win the referendum he invented, then failed to keep his personal incentives secret.
I though there Tories wouldn't support  failure after failure  after  failure, but it looks like I'm wrong.
(Or maybe he's already nicked enough tents...?)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2023, 05:53:26 PM »
Cameron, [half] competent?!? :o
Apparently,  he's  trying to move from being 1/2 competent to 1/3 competent.
(PD's post edited to clarify use of half competent.)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2023, 06:22:15 PM »
I certainly can.

He didn't think it through. He should have insisted on a super majority, already knowing that it was a close vote, for any chance of uniting the country and carrying through the change. You need to carry a lot more than 50% of the votes. He should have raised the bar to 60% and I personally am not sure that would have been enough.

That was incompetence. Combined with his trademark complacency.
Agree with that and also squeakyvoice's points.

Another element of incompetence was the decision over the referendum 'electorate' - typically this reflects the nature of the question. So this should have been the electoral roll used for EU elections, which of course includes EU citizens with residency in the UK. But they chose to use the general election roll thereby disenfranchising those most likely to be impacted and also more likely to vote remain. Incompetence on the part of Cameron and his government.

Aruntraveller is correct - not just incompetent, but complacent. But when you are part of an elite which will always be fine whatever way political decisions go then complacency is likely to be baked in.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2023, 06:31:52 PM »
Agree with that and also squeakyvoice's points.

Another element of incompetence was the decision over the referendum 'electorate' - typically this reflects the nature of the question. So this should have been the electoral roll used for EU elections, which of course includes EU citizens with residency in the UK. But they chose to use the general election roll thereby disenfranchising those most likely to be impacted and also more likely to vote remain. Incompetence on the part of Cameron and his government.

Aruntraveller is correct - not just incompetent, but complacent. But when you are part of an elite which will always be fine whatever way political decisions go then complacency is likely to be baked in.
You mean he was incompetent for not choosing the electoral roll that would make it more likely that his 'side' would win? So you think gerrymandering is a good thing.