Author Topic: Roll up, roll up for the Ponzi house scheme (again)  (Read 284 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Roll up, roll up for the Ponzi house scheme (again)
« on: December 01, 2023, 01:15:58 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Roll up, roll up for the Ponzi house scheme (again)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 12:42:25 PM »
Where does the Ponzi bit come in?

Note: I don't think it's great that house prices are set to rise. I'm so glad I'm in the position of never needing to buy a house again and not having a mortgage. Young people who want to live in my city are being crucified over the costs.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 01:15:08 PM »
Where does the Ponzi bit come in?

Note: I don't think it's great that house prices are set to rise. I'm so glad I'm in the position of never needing to buy a house again and not having a mortgage. Young people who want to live in my city are being crucified over the costs.
If it's seen that house prices need to rise to create a good economy, you're aiming for a bubble.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »
If it's seen that house prices need to rise to create a good economy
I don't think it is seen is it? You don't want people in a negative equity situation, but other than that I don't think anybody thinks house prices need to rise for a good economy.
, you're aiming for a bubble.
A bubble is not a Ponzi scheme.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 12:17:00 PM »
I don't think it is seen is it? You don't want people in a negative equity situation, but other than that I don't think anybody thinks house prices need to rise for a good economy.A bubble is not a Ponzi scheme.
  Successive govts have used inflationary measures on housing to give people a feeling of economic wellbeing.

All Ponzi schemes are a subset of a bubble. Those seeking to benefit here are the govts who are stoking it. 

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 11:18:36 AM »
  Successive govts have used inflationary measures on housing to give people a feeling of economic wellbeing.

All Ponzi schemes are a subset of a bubble. Those seeking to benefit here are the govts who are stoking it.

Well no. A Ponzi scheme is a fraud in which you offer an investment vehicle and you use the payments of later investors to pay the "profits" of the earlier investors instead of actually investing the money.

A bubble is simply a case where the price of some commodity gets unrealistically high. A bubble isn't a fraud in itself although it may offer opportunities for fraud.

The government is not operating the housing market as a Ponzi scheme. For a start, there is a real commodity being traded (houses). Secondly, we don't pay the government for our houses and then sell them back to the government. You could argue that the state pension is a government run Ponzi scheme but not the housing market.