Author Topic: Euro 2024 Men's Football  (Read 5062 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Euro 2024 Men's Football
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2024, 04:41:16 PM »

As far as I can see, they've only qualified for one tournament in the last 25 years. In fact, you can definitely go back to the 1992 European Championships without any Scotland player scoring more than one goal. The Wikipedia page for the World Cup 1990 says they scored two goals, but I can't find out if the same player scored them both.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2024, 07:44:20 AM »
As far as I can see, they've only qualified for one tournament in the last 25 years. In fact, you can definitely go back to the 1992 European Championships without any Scotland player scoring more than one goal. The Wikipedia page for the World Cup 1990 says they scored two goals, but I can't find out if the same player scored them both.
I think the meme would include goals by players at more than one tournament but even so I make Rudiger the joint top scorer in tournament football for Scotland in 41 years.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 07:46:21 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2024, 07:51:17 AM »
Will the man in the plastic mask still become the king for France?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ckdd00r8vv9o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2024, 10:24:00 AM »
Happy to take the draw and the better performance. Have to live with the hope for a few days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c3ggylw5exlt

Outrider

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2024, 11:07:46 AM »
Happy to take the draw and the better performance. Have to live with the hope for a few days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c3ggylw5exlt

At least by the end of it they decided to credit the goal to a Scotsman, that seemed up in the air at one point. A better performance, it might even be enough to get a result against Hungary if they play like that again (given how Hungary performed against Switzerland), but I can't see them doing enough to overturn the goal difference and get in to second. Reasonable chance of progressing from third if they can get two or three over Hungary, but that red card for Porteous in the first game might have even more of an impact than it seemed at the time if the decision comes down to the disciplinary points.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2024, 11:10:41 AM »
At least by the end of it they decided to credit the goal to a Scotsman, that seemed up in the air at one point. A better performance, it might even be enough to get a result against Hungary if they play like that again (given how Hungary performed against Switzerland), but I can't see them doing enough to overturn the goal difference and get in to second. Reasonable chance of progressing from third if they can get two or three over Hungary, but that red card for Porteous in the first game might have even more of an impact than it seemed at the time if the decision comes down to the disciplinary points.

O.
Sad to see what looks like another bad injury to Tierney.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2024, 07:22:23 PM »
Dispiriting performance from England

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2024, 10:12:35 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2024, 12:10:08 PM »

I've often found the criticism of Southgate in the past to be based on a completely unrealistic set of expectations and given his record frankly odd but the recent play seems at odds with the talent in the team, and feels as if there is some sort of mental malaise that is related to Southgate.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/20/england-look-terrified-and-they-have-no-functioning-midfield

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2024, 12:51:10 PM »
Harry Kane 'I think we're struggling both with and without the ball' - ooft.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/20/harry-kane-makes-two-excuses-englands-woeful-performance-denmark-21076241/

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2024, 02:57:53 PM »
Tierney out of the Championships. Not reached his potential because he's made of glass

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cyxxzeye404o

Outrider

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2024, 03:17:03 PM »
Tierney out of the Championships. Not reached his potential because he's made of glass

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cyxxzeye404o

The good news, for him, is that it seems it's a muscle/tendon issue rather than the knee ligament that looked likely when he went down. It does seem to be becoming his party-trick, though.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2024, 06:58:25 AM »
Been here too often for it to have been anything other than expected. Disappointing comments from Clarke about the ref.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4nnn4752elo

Outrider

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2024, 09:12:31 AM »
Been here too often for it to have been anything other than expected. Disappointing comments from Clarke about the ref.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4nnn4752elo

I thought, under the circumstances, that his comments were quite restrained - perhaps the bit about how a South American shouldn't be refereeing a Euros game was unnecessary, but it still doesn't explain how pretty much every ex-professional who's commented has agreed entirely that it's a clear-cut penalty.

It was always going to be tough for them to get through the group stage, and it's not like they deserved to win last night, but I'm not sure they deserved to lose, either.

O.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2024, 10:01:59 AM »
I thought, under the circumstances, that his comments were quite restrained - perhaps the bit about how a South American shouldn't be refereeing a Euros game was unnecessary, but it still doesn't explain how pretty much every ex-professional who's commented has agreed entirely that it's a clear-cut penalty.

It was always going to be tough for them to get through the group stage, and it's not like they deserved to win last night, but I'm not sure they deserved to lose, either.

O.
The bit about him South American is what I find disappointing.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2024, 10:04:46 AM »
Harry Kane 'I think we're struggling both with and without the ball' - ooft.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/20/harry-kane-makes-two-excuses-englands-woeful-performance-denmark-21076241/

There's only two things wrong with my singing: pitch and rhythm.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2024, 10:25:42 AM »

O.
I expect the fact that Armstrong appeared to be trying to steal Orban's shirt might have swayed the officials.

The penalty is just an excuse. The fact is that Scotland didn't have a shot on target until well after 90 minutes in a game they needed to win. They just have not been good enough over all three games.

Don't worry though. When England get knocked out, the media will completely forget about Scotland's dire performance.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2024, 10:36:26 AM »
TBH, I was almost pleased when Hungary scored as it removed the straggle of hope that would have been left with a draw.

As jeremyp says, we weren't nearly good enough. I think we need to go and check the secret of the Swiss.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:40:57 AM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2024, 10:43:37 AM »
I think we need to go and check the secret of the Swiss.

There is no secret. You just have to get a good group of players together with a good manager. It will happen completely by chance most of the time, but having a large player base and being rich certainly helps.

Outrider

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2024, 10:47:59 AM »
I expect the fact that Armstrong appeared to be trying to steal Orban's shirt might have swayed the officials.

Looks to me like that doesn't start until he's already on the way down.

The penalty is just an excuse.

It's not, it's a key factor in the outcome of the game. Not only did it mean Scotland weren't ahead, but it would have put pressure on Hungary to start attacking rather than relying on Scotland coming on and then hitting them on the counter, which had been their game plan all night.

The fact is that Scotland didn't have a shot on target until well after 90 minutes in a game they needed to win. They just have not been good enough over all three games.

That's true - although Hungary's willingness to sit deep and counter contributed to that in this game. Scotland haven't been good enough, or one penalty shout wouldn't have been as important as it was - but the fact is that, in part because of their ability, those decisions count for even more.

Don't worry though. When England get knocked out, the media will completely forget about Scotland's dire performance.

It's not entirely clear that they weren't forgetting about it while it was happening, some of the time!  ;D Maybe England have had their dodgy game of the tournament and they'll start to grow into it? Maybe?

O.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2024, 11:07:42 AM »
Looks to me like that doesn't start until he's already on the way down.
Nope. The attached screenshot is taken from the moment that Armstrong's hand is first on Orban's chest. This is the first contact between the two players.

It's not, it's a key factor in the outcome of the game. Not only did it mean Scotland weren't ahead, but it would have put pressure on Hungary to start attacking rather than relying on Scotland coming on and then hitting them on the counter, which had been their game plan all night.
No, the key factor is that Scotland played very poorly. Hungary weren't't great either but they were better than Scotland.

If they had won the penalty, maybe Hungary don't score and Scotland end up third in group and just maybe they scrape into the knockout stage. But you have to admit that to be dependent on such a tiny margin means you haven't really played well enough

It's not entirely clear that they weren't forgetting about it while it was happening, some of the time!  ;D Maybe England have had their dodgy game of the tournament and they'll start to grow into it? Maybe?

Let's hope so.

Outrider

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2024, 11:13:53 AM »
Nope. The attached screenshot is taken from the moment that Armstrong's hand is first on Orban's chest. This is the first contact between the two players.

Yes, on his chest, shielding the ball, but not grappling him or pulling him to the floor. That's not foul play, but the knee in the back of the leg is.

No, the key factor is that Scotland played very poorly. Hungary weren't great either but they were better than Scotland.

I didn't see much between them, if I'm honest in terms of absolute quality - perhaps Hungary played to their strengths a little better, Scotland seemed to play in the same way as they did when they had some of their better players fit.

If they had won the penalty, maybe Hungary don't score and Scotland end up third in group and just maybe they scrape into the knockout stage. But you have to admit that to be dependent on such a tiny margin means you haven't really played well enough

They're never going to get much further, with the way they play, and I'm not suggesting that they somehow deserved the next round based on the way they played - that teams of Hungary's and Scotland's performance and quality have a chance of getting through is more about the way the tournament has expanded beyond the necessary. However, given that it is the tournament they have, for it to be (potentially) decided on such a poor decision is hard to take.

Let's hope so.

England's my first team (Scotland my second), but I gave up hoping for either of them long ago. Even last time out with Italy, 1-0 up and I still couldn't really believe that it was going to happen...

O.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2024, 06:06:30 PM »
Yes, on his chest, shielding the ball, but not grappling him or pulling him to the floor. That's not foul play, but the knee in the back of the leg is.
The ball was on the ground. He wasn't shielding it with his hand on the man's chest. A split second after that frame, he was grabbing the shirt. That's also a foul. I don't know what the VAR people were thinking, but if they were thinking that it was six of one and half a dozen of the other, I wouldn't object.
I didn't see much between them, if I'm honest in terms of absolute quality - perhaps Hungary played to their strengths a little better, Scotland seemed to play in the same way as they did when they had some of their better players fit.
The thing between them was a goal.

They're never going to get much further, with the way they play, and I'm not suggesting that they somehow deserved the next round based on the way they played - that teams of Hungary's and Scotland's performance and quality have a chance of getting through is more about the way the tournament has expanded beyond the necessary. However, given that it is the tournament they have, for it to be (potentially) decided on such a poor decision is hard to take.
It wasn't decided on that decision. It was decided by them getting slaughtered by Germany, failing to win their second game and failing to even have a shot on target in the first 95 minutes of their last game.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2024, 11:54:19 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2024, 12:15:36 PM »
Modric has had an incredible career. I don't think he's quite the player he was but I can see him doing a job at the World Cup for Croatia in 2 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ceqqq7wz4x7o