Author Topic: UK election 2024  (Read 28902 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: UK election 2024
« Reply #725 on: July 03, 2024, 03:44:03 PM »
He quoted Heinlein in a way that made clear he regards himself as one of the 5% who can think and do - that seems narcissistic to me.
He clearly is one of the 5% that can think and do, as am I and as are you. I don't really think it is narcissistic to have a realistic opinion on some ability you might have.

I don't think Heinlein is 100% right. I think the 5% varies depending on the subject.
As to Brexit, surely, as with all political decisions it's about what you judge as important to you? I know lots of people who voted for it who are in any sense I understand as intelligent. Therefore it seems to me that dismissing those who vote for it as stupid because it's a decision I disagree with is highly questionable.

Nobody is dismissing the people who voted Brexit as stupid, just that they got the decision wrong.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #726 on: July 03, 2024, 03:46:08 PM »
No, you haven't made any arguments.
Yes he has. You ignored them.

You've just asserted that people who voted for Brexit are stupid, and quoted Heinlein in a self aggrandising manner.
He did neither of those things.

Go back and read his posts, this time for comprehension.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #727 on: July 03, 2024, 03:52:37 PM »
Yes he has. You ignored them.
He did neither of those things.

Go back and read his posts, this time for comprehension.
Oh look more assertions. I read the Heinlein and his  use of it as self aggrandising. It reads as if it claims he's in the top 5% of what he thinks of as thinking to me. Why do you disagree?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 03:55:36 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #728 on: July 03, 2024, 03:54:50 PM »
He clearly is one of the 5% that can think and do, as am I and as are you. I don't really think it is narcissistic to have a realistic opinion on some ability you might have.

I don't think Heinlein is 100% right. I think the 5% varies depending on the subject.
Nobody is dismissing the people who voted Brexit as stupid, just that they got the decision wrong.
Is there a 5% like that? You, Stranger, and Heinlein might agree and get all excited about your being in it but it's not a fact.  It reads more like some pseudo-intellectual wanking.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 03:58:14 PM by Nearly Sane »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #729 on: July 03, 2024, 04:00:13 PM »
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #730 on: July 03, 2024, 04:03:32 PM »
Murdoch's Sun newspaper backs Labour in UK election. :o
Is it a surprise? It's not so much the Sun wot won it more it likes to be on the winning side.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #731 on: July 03, 2024, 04:03:47 PM »
Oh look more assertions.
No, advice to read the posts you are commenting on. Because you clearly didn't understand them the first time. This is evidenced by you levelling unfounded accusations at The Stranger.

I read the Heinlein and his  use of it as self aggrandising. It reads as if it claims he's in the top 5% of what he thinks of as thinking to me. Why do you disagree?
What do you even care if The Stranger comes across as self aggrandising? Why don't you read the points he makes and respond to them instead of throwing insults around?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #732 on: July 03, 2024, 04:05:45 PM »
No, advice to read the posts you are commenting on. Because you clearly didn't understand them the first time. This is evidenced by you levelling unfounded accusations at The Stranger.

What do you even care if The Stranger comes across as self aggrandising? Why don't you read the points he makes and respond to them instead of throwing insults around?
And more assertions.

If you think saying you are right because you are intelligent is valuable, then I think it's worth pointing out that's a shite argument and opens you up to a bit of mockery.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #733 on: July 03, 2024, 04:24:49 PM »
Murdoch's Sun newspaper backs Labour in UK election. :o
The Sun always backs whichever party is most likely to win, so that when they do win, they can say "It was the Sun wot won it".
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #734 on: July 03, 2024, 05:21:31 PM »
The Sun always backs whichever party is most likely to win, so that when they do win, they can say "It was the Sun wot won it".
Pathetic really - they've actually always been followers rather than leaders, but to jump to supporting Labour literally on the eve of the election really is taking the mickey.

Not that newspapers have the influence they had - and even decades ago they thought they were more important than they actually were.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #735 on: July 04, 2024, 07:32:33 AM »
Vote Reform, the party that can bring the dead back to life.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #736 on: July 04, 2024, 08:39:24 AM »
And more assertions.
I gave you the evidence. Not just assertions.

If you think saying you are right because you are intelligent is valuable, then I think it's worth pointing out that's a shite argument and opens you up to a bit of mockery.
I think you need to start reading what other people actually write and stop responding to what your misunderstandings of their posts.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #737 on: July 04, 2024, 09:49:22 AM »
I think you need to start reading what other people actually write and stop responding to what your misunderstandings of their posts.
Yup - I agree - he does. And he also needs to stop misrepresenting folk here by claiming that nuanced comments are black/white.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #738 on: July 04, 2024, 10:02:57 AM »
Anyone planning to do an all-nighter in front of the telly tonight? I'm going to try, though in the end I might go to bed by 3-4 am, by which time the result should be clear.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #739 on: July 04, 2024, 10:04:45 AM »
Anyone planning to do an all-nighter in front of the telly tonight? I'm going to try, though in the end I might go to bed by 3-4 am, by which time the result should be clear.
I think I'll go to bed about 11.30 but get back up around the time you are thinking of going to bed.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #740 on: July 04, 2024, 10:16:02 AM »
Yup - although like you I doubt I'll be up all night - those days are long gone.

My son is coming down from Derby for the weekend and will join me. So probably mid evening meal, finish in time for exit poll. Couple of hours in the pub and then back home for when the results start to kick in in earnest.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: July 04, 2024, 11:09:44 AM »
Amongst fierce competition James O'Brien chooses this as the stupidest statement of the election.

https://youtube.com/shorts/puP17Jy9Gmk?si=v7Z_qMyj0wjrZI7Z
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 11:17:50 AM by Nearly Sane »

Roses

« Reply #742 on: July 04, 2024, 11:25:00 AM »
I shall go to bed at my usual time 8.30pm. I have to get up before 6am, and will put on the news then, as I usually do.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #743 on: July 04, 2024, 12:05:07 PM »
Doesn't feel like '97 which I did stay up for.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #744 on: July 04, 2024, 12:45:23 PM »

Yes me, although I may get distracted by other things and will probably end up going to bed around 3.

Edit: Just remembered I need to get up tomorrow around 5.30am, so maybe go to bed a little earlier.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #745 on: July 04, 2024, 12:58:01 PM »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #746 on: July 04, 2024, 02:05:16 PM »
This is disappointing.
I saw this too and yes I agree - not a good look from someone who presumably is considered a role model for many young people.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 02:16:30 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #747 on: July 04, 2024, 02:08:56 PM »
Doesn't feel like '97 which I did stay up for.
It is different.

There is certainly less optimism over a Labour victory than there was in 97. But the flip side is I think the current tories are despised to a much greater extent than Major's lot were in 97.

And in a way it may be a lot more fun as I think there may be far more 'Portillo' moments tonight with high profile tories kicked out than there were in 97.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #748 on: July 04, 2024, 02:11:17 PM »

Roses

« Reply #749 on: July 04, 2024, 02:14:16 PM »
I saw this too and yes I agree - not a good luck from someone who presumably is considered a role model for many young people.

I agree. Four of our five grandchildren are now of voting age, I hope they have cast their votes. One of them is in the US at present, so I hope he sorted out a postal vote before he went.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."