Author Topic: UK election 2024  (Read 29196 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: UK election 2024
« Reply #350 on: June 05, 2024, 11:40:15 AM »
Oddschecker has Farage at 3/1 on to win in Clacton. Constituency betting markets aren't generally very liquid so are usually more influenced by overall polls but Farage has obviously attracted around 75% of the bets in a more liquid market.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/uk-constituencies/next-uk-general-election-constituencies/clacton
Clacton is welcome to him, if he wins  - one more constituency that won't go Tory.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: June 05, 2024, 11:43:05 AM »
Clacton is welcome to him, if he wins  - one more constituency that won't go Tory.

Fuck no. That means he'd be jumping up at every opportunity in the HoC to show his quite remarkable stupidity and bigotry.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: June 05, 2024, 11:45:21 AM »

Electoral Calculus is giving him no chance but that's because it's just based on the overall polls. I suspect he's maybe about evens at the moment rather than the 2 extremes.

I can't see a Farage/Reform win as anything other than likely to drag the Tories to the right so there would be absolutely no reason for it to be anything other than a massive disappointment. While he's not a sitting MP, he joins Galliway at the top of the list of those I hope lose.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Clacton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: June 05, 2024, 11:51:24 AM »
Fuck no. That means he'd be jumping up at every opportunity in the HoC to show his quite remarkable stupidity and bigotry.
If he did win, I suspect we would be seeing a Tory party with seats at the lower end of estimates, in which case, I would fear that they might seek to woo Reform and Farage by more extreme policies, and an offer of a senior shadow Cabinet post. Some would even be touting him as leader.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #354 on: June 05, 2024, 11:55:38 AM »

I'm quite happy seeing Farage demonstrate his stupidity and bigotry at every opportunity.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2024, 11:59:08 AM »
I'm quite happy seeing Farage demonstrate his stupidity and bigotry at every opportunity.

I disagree with both you and Aruntraveller that Farage is anything like stupid. He's an astute and capable politician who is extremely bigoted grifter. He's one of 4 politicians in the UK in my lifetime who I would see as changing the political landscape. The fact that we're not voting in EU elections thus week is to a substantial part down to Farage.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #356 on: June 05, 2024, 12:00:19 PM »
Electoral Calculus is giving him no chance but that's because it's just based on the overall polls. I suspect he's maybe about evens at the moment rather than the 2 extremes.

I can't see a Farage/Reform win as anything other than likely to drag the Tories to the right so there would be absolutely no reason for it to be anything other than a massive disappointment. While he's not a sitting MP, he joins Galliway at the top of the list of those I hope lose.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Clacton

That page is the same as it was the day he announced he was standing and when I said "Labour and Conservatives are neck and neck". I don't think that Farage is factored into the calculation yet. I expect him (i.e. Reform) to take votes mainly off the Tories and increase Labour's winning margin.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #357 on: June 05, 2024, 12:05:42 PM »
I disagree with both you and Aruntraveller that Farage is anything like stupid. He's an astute and capable politician who is extremely bigoted grifter. He's one of 4 politicians in the UK in my lifetime who I would see as changing the political landscape. The fact that we're not voting in EU elections thus week is to a substantial part down to Farage.
Astute and cable politicians don't fail seven times to get elected as an MP.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2024, 12:12:08 PM »
Astute and cable politicians don't fail seven times to get elected as an MP.
And yet he has achieved much more, and had way more influence than the vast vast majority of MPs who get elected 7 times never mind once. If you look for his monument, it's called Brexit.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: June 05, 2024, 12:19:55 PM »
That page is the same as it was the day he announced he was standing and when I said "Labour and Conservatives are neck and neck". I don't think that Farage is factored into the calculation yet. I expect him (i.e. Reform) to take votes mainly off the Tories and increase Labour's winning margin.
I'm not sure that EC will factor in Farage specifically at any point into their calculation.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #360 on: June 05, 2024, 01:45:04 PM »
Line up for BBC debate with the 7 largest parties in Great Britain. Viewers in Northern Ireland have their own programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c877v0e86vko

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #361 on: June 05, 2024, 04:16:02 PM »
And yet he has achieved much more, and had way more influence than the vast vast majority of MPs who get elected 7 times never mind once. If you look for his monument, it's called Brexit.

What has he achieved?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2024, 04:20:48 PM »
I'm not sure that EC will factor in Farage specifically at any point into their calculation.

That doesn't change my point about the link you posted claiming that Reform has no chance in Clacton. The data used to provide that prediction was gathered before Farage announced that he was running.

His announcement might result in an uptick in Reform's position in the opinion polls which might increase Reform's probability of winning that seat from zero, but I think it will also increase Labour's chance and decrease the Tories' chance.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2024, 05:08:04 PM »
What has he achieved?
He contributed largely to making Brexit an issue and then getting it through.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: June 05, 2024, 05:10:52 PM »
That doesn't change my point about the link you posted claiming that Reform has no chance in Clacton. The data used to provide that prediction was gathered before Farage announced that he was running.

His announcement might result in an uptick in Reform's position in the opinion polls which might increase Reform's probability of winning that seat from zero, but I think it will also increase Labour's chance and decrease the Tories' chance.
Except I didn't say that he had no chance, I specifically disagreed with that and highlighted that the reason EC shows no chance is the way they calculate it. And the reason I think Oddschecker overestimated it is because of the way they will be calculating it.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #365 on: June 05, 2024, 07:44:14 PM »
NS,

If you look for his monument, it's called Brexit.

Do people have monuments to achievements that are disastrous? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: June 05, 2024, 07:54:25 PM »
NS,

Do people have monuments to achievements that are disastrous?
That it's disastrous I might agree but it doesn't mean that others agree, and doesn't mean that Farage isn't one of the most effective and successful, in their own terms, politicians in the UK in the last 50 years.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 09:38:58 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #367 on: June 06, 2024, 07:55:17 AM »
"Growing backlash after Tory chair lands safe seat" - Low level corruption but corruption all the same.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckkkq4kx3l0o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2024, 08:18:02 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2024, 08:36:36 AM »
BBC a bit worried that the pause from some party leaders in campaigning as attending D Day commemorations might lead to a dull day in the election but 'not to worry' because there's still the crazy Greens, and Daft Ed Davey.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #370 on: June 06, 2024, 08:57:20 AM »
He contributed largely to making Brexit an issue and then getting it through.

I think his contribution to getting Brexit through was minor at best.

Cameron didn't call the referendum because of Farage but because of the anti-EU faction in his own party - a faction that has been a thorn in the side of the Conservative Party since at least the early 90's. I think Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings played a much bigger part in swinging the vote than Farage.

In this election, the Reform Party will almost certainly do nothing more than split the Tory vote even with Farage in charge.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: June 06, 2024, 09:07:06 AM »
I think his contribution to getting Brexit through was minor at best.

Cameron didn't call the referendum because of Farage but because of the anti-EU faction in his own party - a faction that has been a thorn in the side of the Conservative Party since at least the early 90's. I think Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings played a much bigger part in swinging the vote than Farage.

In this election, the Reform Party will almost certainly do nothing more than split the Tory vote even with Farage in charge.
And yet for tears Farage was the one clear voice on the subject because he could  not being attached to the Tory Party, be monomaniacal about it, and sound not just Barkingside mad right wing. The part of the Tory Party that Cameron was trying to appease was emboldened by having the successes of UKIP, in particular in the 2014 EU elections, something that would not have happened without Farage.

The bulk of the support for Brexit had been built up over those years, long before Cumming and Johnson were heard of, at least not on the side of Brexit.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: June 06, 2024, 10:11:12 AM »
Three Jobs Ross decides not to give one up as he had said he would.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9xxe8xe59eo

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2024, 10:25:44 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2024, 02:07:26 PM »
Guardian poll tracker. Both Labour and Tories have gone up slightly in the last fortnight or so, while the others have gone down slightly. This may be within the margin of error, but if not, it might indicate strayers returning to one of the two main parties as the election approaches (only four weeks to go).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jun/03/uk-general-election-opinion-polls-tracker-latest-labour-tories-2024