Author Topic: UK election 2024  (Read 29139 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: UK election 2024
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2024, 01:00:21 PM »
Another eejit throwing stuff at Farage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmjj1n030djo

Maeght

« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2024, 07:10:21 AM »
So Sunak says he had to sacrifice lots of things growing up and when pushed all he could come up with was that he couldn't have Sky TV.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2024, 07:16:37 AM »
"Voter confidence at record low" - I'm utterly shocked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv223kzq6r9o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2024, 09:03:55 AM »
Chris Mason on the Tory manifesto.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw00k66jd3ro

I have to admit that the fudge over the ECHR seems like an attempt to give away your cake and sticking your fingers down your throat as you don't eat it. The lazy lying of referring to it as 'foreign court' gives support to Reform's dangerous maunderings but in not saying they will withdraw cedes all action to Reform as well.

The lack of detail on social care 14 years after the Dilnot report, and after promises through 4 elections and 5 PMs, and after Johnson lying, inevitably, about his oven ready plans shows that they are incapable of dealing with the hard problems  again.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 09:21:01 AM by Nearly Sane »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2024, 09:07:35 AM »
So Sunak says he had to sacrifice lots of things growing up and when pushed all he could come up with was that he couldn't have Sky TV.

Oh the horror - I too could not have SKY TV as a child. It was such a sacrifice to miss out on things that didn't yet exist. I also remember having to watch B&W television when some of my classmates had a colour tv. The things we gave up eh?  Give your head a fucking wobble Mr Sunak.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »
Oh the horror - I too could not have SKY TV as a child. It was such a sacrifice to miss out on things that didn't yet exist. I also remember having to watch B&W television when some of my classmates had a colour tv. The things we gave up eh?  Give your head a fucking wobble Mr Sunak.
Begging for someone to meme a one of the pictures from when he ran away from the D Day Commemorations with him shaking a veteran's hand and saying. 'I understand sacrifice. Your friends gave up their lives, I gave up Sky TV'
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 09:17:30 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2024, 09:18:16 AM »
The rain continues on Sunak's parade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clmmvnpr8n8o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2024, 09:43:53 AM »
I welcome his desperation butI'd have an easier time accepting it's an issue if Shapps didn't  support first past the post. The Tories were ecstatic about having getting a substantial majority from a minority of votes 5 years ago. To complain about what might happen now is hypocrisy.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/shapps-warns-voters-not-to-hand-labour-a-supermajority/ar-BB1o4oeA

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2024, 10:23:57 AM »
He really, really doesn't get it, does he.

This reminds me of the cringeworthy video from when he was about 20 and talking to kids in a London inner city school where he does the big reveal that he went to Winchester College (not that I imagine any of the kids would have had a clue what that was) and that they can be like him too. Err no they couldn't as there parents couldn't come close to affording the fees regardless of how many sacrifice they made.

He doesn't seem to realist that to make a decision to spend tens of thousands per year on school fees rather than on Sky or foreign holidays etc you need to have tens of thousands of disposable income per year in the first place. Most people don't so the notion of making a choice what to do with your tens of thousands of disposable income per year is completely moot.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #460 on: June 12, 2024, 10:40:30 AM »
And the inference that if you sacrifice your Sky subscription you can afford to send your kids to a top school is deeply, deeply disingenuous.

In the early 90s average boarding school fees were approx. £8000 (Winchester would, of course have been rather higher). A Sky subscription at the time was about a couple of hundred for installation and then about £10 per month. So even in the first year subscription would have been about £400 - so that 'saving' from sacrificing having Sky would have paid for about 1-2 weeks of school fees.

But of course for most people in the early 90s Sky was a luxury that they couldn't afford. Perhaps most of his Winchester chums had Sky in their family homes, but only about 1-2 million homes had Sky at that point. For most people Sky wasn't something they might sacrifice for their children's private school fees - nope it was something that they simply couldn't afford as their money was going on 'luxuries' such as food, mortgage costs, transport to get to work etc. No amount of sacrifice would allow them the disposable income to spend £8000 per year on private education (for each child).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 10:44:15 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: June 12, 2024, 11:20:43 AM »
Fuck me, but the actual interview is even worse than I imagined.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-06-11/rishi-sunak-says-he-went-without-sky-tv-as-a-child

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #462 on: June 12, 2024, 11:35:42 AM »

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-06-11/rishi-sunak-says-he-went-without-sky-tv-as-a-child
FFS - the opening comment is him apologising that he was a bit late for his ITV interview because the 80th anniversary commemoration events 'ran over' - that's what you say about a standard meeting when you arrive late at your next meeting, not what you say about the last major commemoration while people who were there are still alive for one of the most important historical moments of the last century.

Maeght

« Reply #463 on: June 12, 2024, 11:36:13 AM »
He really, really doesn't get it, does he.

This reminds me of the cringeworthy video from when he was about 20 and talking to kids in a London inner city school where he does the big reveal that he went to Winchester College (not that I imagine any of the kids would have had a clue what that was) and that they can be like him too. Err no they couldn't as there parents couldn't come close to affording the fees regardless of how many sacrifice they made.

He doesn't seem to realist that to make a decision to spend tens of thousands per year on school fees rather than on Sky or foreign holidays etc you need to have tens of thousands of disposable income per year in the first place. Most people don't so the notion of making a choice what to do with your tens of thousands of disposable income per year is completely moot.

Indeed. And didn't he ask a homeless person in a soup kitchen about where he worked (or similar)?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #464 on: June 12, 2024, 11:40:25 AM »
FFS - the opening comment is him apologising that he was a bit late for his ITV interview because the 80th anniversary commemoration events 'ran over' - that's what you say about a standard meeting when you arrive late at your next meeting, not what you say about the last major commemoration while people who were there are still alive for one of the most important historical moments of the last century.
As too often with politicians recently, I have the vague suspicion that they are actually a comedic actor who was pretending to be a sort of political Alan Partridge but got mistaken for the real thing.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2024, 11:42:02 AM »

He has to be pushed and pushed about what he had to go without as a kid, which he evasively and vaguely before answers he finally answers 'Sky tv'. Note to Sunak - when people ask you about what you had to 'go without' they are talking about things that most people had/could afford, that you didn't - not things that most people didn't have/couldn't afford.

Starmer's equivalent was a home phone - that is 'going without' as when Starmer was growing up in the 1970s most people would have had a phone in their homes (even if like us it was a 'party line' phone).

Maeght

« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2024, 11:42:22 AM »
As too often with politicians recently, I have the vague suspicion that they are actually a comedic actor who was pretending to be a sort of political Alan Partridge but got mistaken for the real thing.

I've heard the comment a few times about Sunak that he just isn't very good at politics.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2024, 11:45:12 AM »
I've heard the comment a few times about Sunak that he just isn't very good at politics.
Sunak is astonishingly rich and privileged and comes across as ... err ... astonishingly rich and privileged.

So I guess there is a refreshing honesty ;)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2024, 12:04:06 PM »
Greens to raise 70bn in taxes. Hmm.. with taxes on assets on a self declared tax forms. Either lying to look good or stupid.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2024, 12:29:11 PM »
Another eejit throwing stuff at Farage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmjj1n030djo

On the subject of throwing stuff (from Newsthump):

I know we've said before, but it apparently bears repeating:
Throwing milkshakes at politicians is 100% wrong, and anyone doing it should be punished to the full extent of the law.
However, as long as the only thing physically harmed by a thrown milkshake is an ego and a jacket, it's also pretty funny.
These positions are not mutually exclusive.
Thank you for coming to our Ted Talk.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2024, 01:31:02 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2024, 03:59:07 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2024, 04:21:04 PM »
I'm beginning to suspect that the Tory strategy is to turn Sunak into a beloved hapless comic character like Mr Bean since that was part of Johnson's shtick.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2024, 05:04:01 PM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2024, 05:14:55 PM »