Author Topic: UK election 2024  (Read 29039 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: UK election 2024
« Reply #600 on: June 21, 2024, 06:27:37 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #601 on: June 21, 2024, 07:41:24 PM »
Viewers in NI have their own programme, as ever

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news/content/ar-BB1oDkQf

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #602 on: June 22, 2024, 12:52:57 PM »
Farage and his love for Putin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cldd44zv3kpo
Be interesting to see if this has any effect on the Reform vote. I imagine there's an substantial number of their support who will agree with him but it may mean that some percentage is pushed back to the Tories.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #603 on: June 22, 2024, 12:56:28 PM »
Sunak surpasses Johnson and Corbyn in unpopularity but still trails Truss, the undisputed champion.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49824-general-election-2024-rishi-sunak-favourability-at-another-all-time-low

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #605 on: June 24, 2024, 09:41:20 PM »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #606 on: June 25, 2024, 10:58:55 AM »
And another one...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c511nv3pjd6o
Tories have finally suspended their candidates.

https://x.com/samcoatessky/status/1805535245590003850?s=46

Worst possible outcome for them surely - they look weak in not taking decisive action early enough and effectively being forced into doing it by the general outrage.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #607 on: June 25, 2024, 11:03:25 AM »

Worst possible outcome for them surely - they look weak in not taking decisive action early enough and effectively being forced into doing it by the general outrage.
And I better they would be suspended tomorrow. Damn that inaccurate info.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #608 on: June 25, 2024, 11:13:52 AM »
And I better they would be suspended tomorrow. Damn that inaccurate info.
Well Rishi told me he would stand by them, so I put £100 on them being suspended.

It would be hilarious to find a Tory official who had put a bet on them being suspended today. They seem to be so incredibly self destructive that I would not be surprised if we found that it was true.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: June 25, 2024, 11:50:25 AM »
Well Rishi told me he would stand by them, so I put £100 on them being suspended.

It would be hilarious to find a Tory official who had put a bet on them being suspended today. They seem to be so incredibly self destructive that I would not be surprised if we found that it was true.
Would sum it up

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #610 on: June 25, 2024, 12:30:21 PM »
Just found this piece in the Guardian about John Oliver's piece on the UK election

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/jun/24/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-uk-election

Looking forward to finding the actual segment on line
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #611 on: June 25, 2024, 12:38:47 PM »

This will mean total wipeout of the tories in Wales. Most polling has shown that Montgomeryshire and Glyndŵr was the only likely hold for the tories, but now that Craig Williams has been suspended that victory seems pretty remote.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #612 on: June 25, 2024, 12:44:14 PM »
Just found this piece in the Guardian about John Oliver's piece on the UK election

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/jun/24/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-uk-election

Looking forward to finding the actual segment on line
For much of the time Labour has more or less agreed with the Tory policies. I'll have numerous drinks through the morning on the 5th as eejits lose but I don't see it as worth a celebration. I am hoping that Labour can surprise me.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: June 25, 2024, 12:47:16 PM »
This will mean total wipeout of the tories in Wales. Most polling has shown that Montgomeryshire and Glyndŵr was the only likely hold for the tories, but now that Craig Williams has been suspended that victory seems pretty remote.

For 500 pounds? Why Craig, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for 500 pounds!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #614 on: June 25, 2024, 12:50:25 PM »
For much of the time Labour has more or less agreed with the Tory policies. I'll have numerous drinks through the morning on the 5th as eejits lose but I don't see it as worth a celebration. I am hoping that Labour can surprise me.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine a while ago before we knew when the election would be. I was bemoaning the fact that Labour did not want to address the Brexit issue but his position was: let's get rid of the Tories first and then decide how to go forward.

As John Oliver puts it:

If a wild badger broke into your home and fucked everything up for 14 years straight, tearing absolutely everything apart, you would think: 'OK, you know what, we’ll worry about redecorating choices later. Right now, that badger needs to fucking go.'

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #615 on: June 25, 2024, 12:51:40 PM »

This is my hope too.

My thoughts are that Starmer is playing it ultra-safe so as not to upset the horses - ok ex-Tories, so unkind to horses. After the election, he'll spring forth like a superhero and fly about in spandex fixing everything.

Or as is more likely we'll get a somewhat improved and competent government - which to be honest I'd settle for.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #616 on: June 25, 2024, 12:53:48 PM »
This is my hope too.

My thoughts are that Starmer is playing it ultra-safe so as not to upset the horses - ok ex-Tories, so unkind to horses. After the election, he'll spring forth like a superhero and fly about in spandex fixing everything.

Or as is more likely we'll get a somewhat improved and competent government - which to be honest I'd settle for.
Not an absolutely shite govt would make me happy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #617 on: June 25, 2024, 12:57:51 PM »
I had this discussion with a friend of mine a while ago before we knew when the election would be. I was bemoaning the fact that Labour did not want to address the Brexit issue but his position was: let's get rid of the Tories first and then decide how to go forward.

As John Oliver puts it:
And I agree but I just won't be celebrating. Though I may dance a fuck you wild badger dance.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #618 on: June 25, 2024, 01:03:23 PM »
One thing that I may well toast is not having a PM who refers to the ECHR as a foreign court. Of all the panders to Reform, that's one I find unfuckingforgivable

Roses

« Reply #619 on: June 26, 2024, 10:41:52 AM »
My husband and I have postal votes, and have already voted. 

We should never have left the EU, it was a HUGE mistake and has done the UK no good at all.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #620 on: June 26, 2024, 11:24:26 AM »
My husband and I have postal votes, and have already voted. 

We should never have left the EU, it was a HUGE mistake and has done the UK no good at all.
me too. Having cut my hair very short and trimmed my beard since the photo was taken, I diidn't want to give some jumped-up Jack-in-office the opportunity to reject my ID.
Agree about the EU.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Roses

« Reply #621 on: June 26, 2024, 11:53:54 AM »
me too. Having cut my hair very short and trimmed my beard since the photo was taken, I diidn't want to give some jumped-up Jack-in-office the opportunity to reject my ID.
Agree about the EU.

Many people didn't really understand what leaving the EU would mean for the UK. Some people I have spoken to about Brexit said other members of their family, or their friends and neighbours and had voted to leave and so did they! 

All my family voted to stay in the EU.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #622 on: June 26, 2024, 05:43:31 PM »
Latest prediction from Electoral Calculus:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html

Notable in that the Tories are predicted to finish up with fewer seats than the Lib Dems. I don't think this will really happen because I expect the Reform UK ltd vote will collapse in polling booths.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: June 26, 2024, 07:31:18 PM »
Latest prediction from Electoral Calculus:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html

Notable in that the Tories are predicted to finish up with fewer seats than the Lib Dems. I don't think this will really happen because I expect the Reform UK ltd vote will collapse in polling booths.
The Lib Dem vote being lower than the last election but getting them 9 times the seats is a great illustration of the problems of FPTP

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #624 on: June 27, 2024, 08:06:40 AM »
Decent article on the effect on Scottish independence of the election. I've never really understood why labour didn't as a party remain agnostic on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0447rxk7jxo