Author Topic: Paper v. Digital  (Read 272 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Paper v. Digital
« on: January 17, 2024, 11:53:31 AM »
Interesting article here about the effects on children aged 10-12 of using screens rather than books:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/jan/17/kids-reading-better-paper-vs-screen

Completely anecdotal but I feel that I retain things more accurately if I read an actual book rather than on an e-reader.

It is an area that appears to need more research.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Paper v. Digital
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 01:00:16 PM »
Interesting article here about the effects on children aged 10-12 of using screens rather than books:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/jan/17/kids-reading-better-paper-vs-screen

Completely anecdotal but I feel that I retain things more accurately if I read an actual book rather than on an e-reader.

It is an area that appears to need more research.
I think the 'now what' is the relevant bit. I'm not at all surprised at the findings. Screens may well help out some other facility but it's so much easier to do when not in the physical contact with paper. Even if I hadn't noted the exact page down, I could feel it in the heft of the book. The turning over of the page engages more than the swish on screen

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 01:28:42 PM »
A former member of this forum was a big fan of e-books, and had thrown out all her physical books because she had a Kindle. I disagreed with her about everything on principle, but that was not the only reason why I disagreed with her about physical books: real books are things of beauty, and they don't need batteries.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 04:04:20 PM »
I'm a fan of actual books and have never tried a Kindle: for me there is something quite magical in the physical object. I'm also a fan of public libraries, and just love browsing the shelves.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 04:10:52 PM by Gordon »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:59:48 AM »
A former member of this forum was a big fan of e-books, and had thrown out all her physical books because she had a Kindle. I disagreed with her about everything on principle, but that was not the only reason why I disagreed with her about physical books: real books are things of beauty, and they don't need batteries.

There's a place for both in the world, but I rarely buy real books anymore.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply