Author Topic: Stop the boats!  (Read 225 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Re: Stop the boats!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 05:58:13 PM »
Not those ones, these ones:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/18/tories-stop-the-boats-superyachts-plutocrats-britain
I agree with that completely.Meanwhile, back in the Grauniad
Yet, according to polling from YouGov, voters are more likely to think (wrongly) that more people come to the UK illegally than legally than to think (rightly) that more people arrive legally. In fact, more than half of Britons wrongly think illegal migration is as higher or higher than legal migration.
(About 20 to 6 on the earlier link I posted.)It's almost beyond belief. The tories aren't dealing with a problem (if migration was a problem) they're creating a problem and then ramping it up to the point where they want to break the law themselves.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 09:55:25 AM »
I agree with that completely.Meanwhile, back in the Grauniad  (About 20 to 6 on the earlier link I posted.)It's almost beyond belief. The tories aren't dealing with a problem (if migration was a problem) they're creating a problem and then ramping it up to the point where they want to break the law themselves.

Of the people who arrive illegally, about three quarters eventually have their claims of asylum accepted. That makes the proportion of really illegal immigrants even smaller.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 10:19:23 AM »
Of the people who arrive illegally, about three quarters eventually have their claims of asylum accepted. That makes the proportion of really illegal immigrants even smaller.
And yet the govt talks of them as if they are all illegal. The govt is a bunch of lying incompetent shites.

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 10:51:27 AM »
(Yesterday's live politics should help now, it's not being updated today. This article should be very near the top(/last) post.
In the year ending September 2023 there were 45,081 illegal arrrivals, according to this Home Office report (which describes them as irregular arrivals).
According to the latest ONS figures, the total number of immigrants coming to the UK in the year ending June 2023 was 1.2m.
Allowing for the 508,000 people who emigrated, net migration was 672,000 in the year ending June 2023.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/18/rishi-sunak-press-conference-rwanda-bill-conservatives-labour-fujitsu-post-office-horizon-uk-politics-latest
(Again) it contains the date 18, so it was yesterday. A very rough calculation (44/672) shows that illegal immigration is about 6%.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 12:10:48 PM by SqueakyVoice »
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams