Author Topic: Sheku Kanneh-Mason calls for Rule Britannia to be dropped from Proms  (Read 289 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Sheku Kanneh-Mason calls for Rule Britannia to be dropped from Proms
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 08:45:06 AM »
No. The whole thing is ironic and self-deprecatory, ad no-one with a vestige of a sense of humour takes it seriously. Maybe some people claim to be offended by it - well, tough shit. There is no natural or God-given right not to be offended.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 08:53:59 AM »
No. The whole thing is ironic and self-deprecatory, ad no-one with a vestige of a sense of humour takes it seriously. Maybe some people claim to be offended by it - well, tough shit. There is no natural or God-given right not to be offended.
A defence that I saw given for the Black and White Minstrel Show. The problem is surely that not everyone does have a 'sense of humour', and many who will get offended by Kanneh-Mason's comments are amongst them, and use similar sentiments in politics?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 09:14:02 AM »
We have been here before. I recall a similar argument being made - perhaps 30 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the defenders of the Proms tradition asked people to actually study the text of the song - it is actually a plea for action:

Rule Britannia
                                 Britannia rule the waves
                                 Britons never shall be slaves

It is a plea for British values to be used as an exemplar for others. (Though whether the values of the time at it was written are worth imposing is another matter.)
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 11:06:58 AM »
We have been here before. I recall a similar argument being made - perhaps 30 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the defenders of the Proms tradition asked people to actually study the text of the song - it is actually a plea for action:

Rule Britannia
                                 Britannia rule the waves
                                 Britons never shall be slaves

It is a plea for British values to be used as an exemplar for others. (Though whether the values of the time at it was written are worth imposing is another matter.)
I think it's 3 years since a stushie about Land of Hooe and Glory. I suspect Kanneh-Mason might feel that the implication is that while Britons never never never should be slaves, it's ok for some of those who aren't Britons to be slaves some of the time.

I'm not sure that the UK is sufficiently at ease with its past for the sort of jingoirony that Steve's mentioned to work fully.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 11:11:03 AM »
A defence that I saw given for the Black and White Minstrel Show. The problem is surely that not everyone does have a 'sense of humour', and many who will get offended by Kanneh-Mason's comments are amongst them, and use similar sentiments in politics?

Why can't we have a bit of flag waving every now and then. It's just a song. If you don't like it, don't watch.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 11:18:03 AM »
Why can't we have a bit of flag waving every now and then. It's just a song. If you don't like it, don't watch.
So it doesn't matter what the content of the song might be as long as it is a 'bit of flag waving'?