Author Topic: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.  (Read 16053 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:00:00 AM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

bluehillside Retd.

Unpleasant and utterly bonkers.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
Unpleasant and utterly bonkers.

Nauseating shite more like..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:13:16 AM by Gordon »

Outrider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI0zd47T3_8

Brave? This dipshit is standing at an explicitly Christian establishment, the largest private university in the US by enrolment, in one of the most virulently Christian nations on the planet, and talking about how her sexuality isn't part of her nature? She thinks the world - in particular the US where she's speaking - is 'anti-Christian'? Who amongst the secular is suggesting that sexuality is nailed down as soon as you indicate any inclination away from 'hardcore-hetero'?

Homosexuality is not normal, she says - the observation of the behaviour in over a thousand species would seem to suggest that's bullshit.
Pagan spirituality is not kind or nice - sometimes. Sometimes Christian spirituality isn't, either. It's almost like spirituality is a trait exhibited by people, and some people are arseholes. Big shock.
Feminism is not good for the church - who said that it was? People - in particular feminists -have been calling out the inherent patriarchy and misogyny of both the church establishments and their teaching for decades, this is not news.
Transgenderism is normal - we're still establishing that, but the prevalent medical expertise seems to be in favour. It remains to be seen if society will prove that wrong, or catch up.
Modesty for women is outdated - no, the expectation that women have an obligation to be modest is outdated.

Even the title is misleading - 'Ex-gay, now Christian', as though the two were mutually exclusive, when she explicitly talks about gay Christians in her speech.

She's either deluded, or lying, but I don't see anything 'brave', there, about preaching exclusion, suppression and bullshit to a captive audience.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Gordon

• Administrator
I also note that you changed the thread title, Alan - from 'Ex-gay' to 'Professor Rosaria Butterfield': and I'm wondering why you did that.

Presumably you thought your original title was potentially homophobic, or insensitive, or undiplomatic or something. If that was your thinking, and you can of course enlighten me if you wish, then I'm wondering why you posted this video at all given its offensive content

If this is what you regard as positive Christianity then all I can say is thank fuck I'm not a Christian.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Your god is a small minded dickhead.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:44:30 AM by Nearly Sane »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Alan

You cannot change your sexuality. You can deny it or try to suppress it. In a lot of cases where people do this, they suffer mental crises. It has affected this woman adversely as can be seen by the copious amounts of nonsense coming from her mouth.

She's a liar. By posting this you are either a liar or a gullible idiot.

Take your pick.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

Oddly Wiki tells us that “Butterfield attended predominantly liberal Catholic schools” and also that her autobiography is called “The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey into the Christian Faith”.

One might think that a more apt title would be “The Secret Thoughts of a Not Particularly Unlikely Reversionist: An English Professor's Recidivism into the Christian Faith” or some such.

I find it hard to reconcile someone whose demeanour seems to be quite sweet with the unhinged bile she spouts. Noticeable too that even an audience of Christian students is parsimonious with its applause (at least for as much of it as I could watch without wanting to throw up)  – even they seem to be thinking “whoa, this is pretty deranged stuff” at times.       
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:48:41 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

BeRational

Terrible but she was speaking to a room full of bigots.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

ProfessorDavey

What an awful woman.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
Nauseating shite more like..

False dichotomy. It can be both "nauseating shite" and "unpleasant and utterly bonkers".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb

You cannot change your sexuality.

Some people are bisexual - famously Tom Robinson, writer of "Glad to be Gay". Perhaps this woman is and she perceives her attraction to women followed by attraction to a man as a change in her sexuality. I'm not going to gainsay her testimony about her personal experience.

That said, for the majority of gay people, attempts to change their sexuality are futile and potentially damaging.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
"Powerful and brave", or similar words, when used by AB, mean "I agree with it".
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
"Powerful and brave", or similar words, when used by AB, mean "I agree with it".
To be fair, that's probably true of all of us when we use similar words, just not all of us agree with homophobia.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
To be fair, that's probably true of all of us when we use similar words, just not all of us agree with homophobia.

That's a powerful and brave comment, NS.

Alan Burns

I also note that you changed the thread title, Alan - from 'Ex-gay' to 'Professor Rosaria Butterfield': and I'm wondering why you did that.

Presumably you thought your original title was potentially homophobic, or insensitive, or undiplomatic or something. If that was your thinking, and you can of course enlighten me if you wish, then I'm wondering why you posted this video at all given its offensive content

If this is what you regard as positive Christianity then all I can say is thank fuck I'm not a Christian.
At the time I posted it I was not aware of her name and title.

After discovering her name in the small print I thought it more informative to offer her true identity if anyone wished to follow it up (as Bluehillside did).

It brought a predictable reaction from many on this forum, but I felt compelled to share it as a witness to the life God wants us to follow as opposed to the self centred lifestyles based on worldly values which lead us away from God's unconditional love.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

torridon

After discovering her name in the small print I thought it more informative to offer her true identity if anyone wished to follow it up (as Bluehillside did).

It brought a predictable reaction from many on this forum, but I felt compelled to share it as a witness to the life God wants us to follow as opposed to the self centred lifestyles based on worldly values which lead us away from God's unconditional love.

The notion of a god laying out out how humans should live their lives is a preposterous one. It's a convenient excuse for individuals to impose their own subjective moral codes onto others, all in the name of some higher power. The idea that there exists an all-knowing, all-powerful being who is deeply concerned with the minutiae of human behavior is both absurd and narcissistic.

Gordon

• Administrator

Doesn't fly, Alan: presumably in posting the video in the first place you anticipated that some might view it and, having seen it yourself, I'd have thought that if you felt any clarification was required you'd have dealt with that before you posted the link.

The only thing I witnessed was rampant and wrong-headed homophobia - I'm surprised that in your 'witnessing' you didn't spot this yourself. If this is an example of "God's unconditional love" are you really that surprised that some of us regard the sentiments expressed in this video as being no more than ignorant and prejudiced theobollocks?

Alan Burns

The only thing I witnessed was rampant and wrong-headed homophobia - I'm surprised that in your 'witnessing' you didn't spot this yourself. If this is an example of "God's unconditional love" are you really that surprised that some of us regard the sentiments expressed in this video as being no more than ignorant and prejudiced theobollocks?
It is not easy being a Christian witness in this increasing secular society.

You will never personally understand our motivation until you have experienced God's unconditional love yourself - then you will want others to share it, because God's love motivates us to will the ultimate good of others.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator

You will never personally understand our motivation until you have experienced God's unconditional love yourself - then you will want others to share it, because God's love motivates us to will the ultimate good of others.

And you will never personally understand what it is like to be gay and have to read moronic platitudes issued from a position of complete ignorance.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

My heart bleeds for all the homophobes. Powerful and brave is what friends of mine were fighting for their right for their relationships to be regarded as equal and being spat on and beaten up while your church harboured paedophiles who had raped children.

Sebastian Toe

My heart bleeds for all the homophobes. Powerful and brave is what friends of mine were fighting for their right for their relationships to be regarded as equal and being spat on and beaten up while your church harboured paedophiles who had raped children.

It's all ok though because God's love was motivating them!!!! ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

ProfessorDavey

Not all christians are homophobic AB - being a christian is a choice and being a homophobic christian is a further choice. If you choose those paths then it is a bit rich expecting sympathy from those who aren't homophobic.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Not all christians are homophobic AB - being a christian is a choice and being a homophobic christian is a further choice. If you choose those paths then it is a bit rich expecting sympathy from those who aren't homophobic.
Is it a 'free will' choice though?