Author Topic: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.  (Read 16078 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Vlad,

Evwee day, in evwee way we're getting better and better.

Bit early to be on the sauce isn't it?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
The morality upon which our western civilisation was built derives from the teachings of the Christian Bible.

Nobody cares. What they do care about is busy bodies like you sticking their noses into matters that don't concern them just because you've got this old book full of myths and nonsense that tells you you can. Stop it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
The morality upon which our western civilisation was built derives from the teachings of the Christian Bible.
Which approves of slavery, rape, and genocide.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:40:33 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Evwee day, in evwee way we're getting better and better.
Missing the time when you could own slaves. Must be tough having your support for homophobis called out

Gordon

• Administrator

Maybe - but these days some of the damage inflicted by Christianity is being undone and its influence is reducing in this part of the world (as we saw in relation to marriage legislation).

SteveH

• God? She's black.
There is no biblical justification for miscegenation
I think you mean the opposite - that there is no biblical justification for opposing miscegenation.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Meanwhile in the real world away from your cosy fantasies Alan, a chance to look at what religion can do if it goes unchecked:

https://www.zawya.com/en/world/middle-east/13-sentenced-to-death-for-homosexuality-in-yemen-source-few6tnlh

Oh I know Islam is the source and you'll say Christianity is different, but your very insistence on preserving some kind of privileged prejudice speaks to how very dangerous religion is.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

torridon

This is not about personal preferences.
My concern is the eternal salvation of our human souls.

If God doesn't like gays he wouldn't create gay souls in the first place, would he ? Seems you live in a bottomless pit of confusion; but hey, that's religion for you.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
If God doesn't like gays he wouldn't create gay souls in the first place, would he ? Seems you live in a bottomless pit of confusion; but hey, that's religion for you.
God's love is unconditional.
God loves the sinner but not the sin.
We are all human, and we all have weaknesses - but we need to recognise our weaknesses and enlist God's help to cope with them in order to enter a full loving and richly rewarding relationship with God.  It is sin which separates us from God's love.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

AB,

And yet so often the supposed “teachings” of this supposed god would indicate the opposite of that, with real time harm done as a consequence to real people in the real world by those who would be validated by this idiocy.

And what kind of morally bankrupt piece of shit would decide that who some people go to bed with is “sinful”?

We are all human, and we all have weaknesses –

Whom our nature determines we should go to bed with isn’t a “weakness” ffs.

…but we need to recognise our weaknesses…

Not when they’re not weaknesses at all we don’t.

…and enlist God's help to cope with them in order to enter a full loving and richly rewarding relationship with God.

A clusterfuck of mindless blind faith assertions there…

It is sin which separates us from God's love.

Does anyone other than you actually believe this kind of ignorant shit to be true these days?

Seriously though? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
We are all human, and we all have weaknesses - but we need to recognise our weaknesses and enlist God's help to cope with them in order to enter a full loving and richly rewarding relationship with God.  It is sin which separates us from God's love.

Sounds very puritan, Alan, which reminds me of H L Mencken's definition of Puritanism; "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".

Alan Burns

Sounds very puritan, Alan, which reminds me of H L Mencken's definition of Puritanism; "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".
The happiest people I know are fellow Christians.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Gordon

• Administrator

Super - then perhaps they could leave others to enjoy their own happiness (provided their happiness is legal) without pontificating on areas that really are none of their business.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Happy homophobes are still homophobes.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Yay. These happy Christians donating money to Uganda to promote the killing of gay people. What a jolly jape, eh Alan?

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/africa-us-christian-right-50m/

Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

torridon

Which does not even attempt to address the unlogic of a God creating sinners and then blaming them for being sinful.  Clearly this is down to God, not his creations, who have no say in their creation.

Alan Burns

Which does not even attempt to address the unlogic of a God creating sinners and then blaming them for being sinful.  Clearly this is down to God, not his creations, who have no say in their creation.
God gave us the gift of free will so that we could freely choose to accept Him - or reject Him.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
God gave us the gift of free will so that we could freely choose to accept Him - or reject Him.

Does that include the free will to kill gay people? Are you accepting him or rejecting him by killing gay people?

Do you condemn Christian evangelicals putting funding into Africa to achieve these killings?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
And be homophobic or not.

Alan Burns

Super - then perhaps they could leave others to enjoy their own happiness (provided their happiness is legal) without pontificating on areas that really are none of their business.
Our mission to spread the Good News is fundamental to share with others the reason for our existence.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Our mission to spread the Good News is fundamental to share with others the reason for our existence.
The 'good news' of your hatred of gay people.

Walt Zingmatilder

Of the two topics being discussed it's not easy to weaponise
this feature of increasingly secular Britain

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:33:32 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Of the two topics being discussed it's not easy to weaponise
this feature of increasingly secular Britain

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/slavery-uk/
Secularism, which as ever you misrepresent, doesn't gave a book that tells you how to beat slaves, and to kill homisexuals. You, as a Christian do, and you tout that book as a good thing. You worship hate.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:41:58 AM by Nearly Sane »

torridon

Which does not even attempt to address the unlogic of a God creating sinners and then blaming them for being sinful.  As ever, all you do is sidestep the contradictions in your beliefs rather than addressing them.

Gordon

• Administrator

Perhaps you should keep it to yourselves - that you guys have caught something nasty doesn't mean the rest of us want it too.