Author Topic: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.  (Read 16058 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Secularism, which as ever you misrepresent, doesn't gave a book that tells you how to beat slaves, and to kill homisexuals. You, as a Christian do, and you tout that book as a good thing. You worship hate.
It's happening under secularisms watch. Which would . We must examine, I think, whether a secular and non religious people tend to see this as a non issue because it cannnot be weaponised in the central concern of eliminating religion.

ProfessorDavey

It's happening under secularisms watch. Which would . We must examine, I think, whether a secular and non religious people tend to see this as a non issue because it cannnot be weaponised in the central concern of eliminating religion.
So-called modern slavery exists, but it is a very different thing to the institutionalised and legal slavery of previous centuries. And modern slavery practices occur in countries across the world, not just in those that are broadly secular and/or have low levels of religious adherence. Indeed I think it is pretty easy to develop an argument that both modern slavery practices and more traditional slavery (yet it does still exist) are much more prevalent in countries with high levels of religious observance. Whether or not this is actually linked to religious practice and cultures can be debated, but there are certain types of modern slavery, such as forced and child marriage that do seem to have significant links to certain types of religious practice and norms.

Gordon

• Administrator

Then edit your book to get rid of the offensive bits instead of indulging in whataboutery: hang on though, some Christians take that old book literally, so you guys need to get your act together and do a bit of pruning.

So far as I can see nobody here is trying to eliminate religion, or Christianity specifically, although I have no objection to its continuing decline in the part of the world I live in.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
God's love is unconditional.
Excellent.

So you don't need to concern yourself with interfering with other people's right to  marry the person they love.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

If God doesn't like gays he wouldn't create gay souls in the first place, would he ? Seems you live in a bottomless pit of confusion; but hey, that's religion for you.
Gay souls? I suppose that’s another description of defining people merely by where they like to put their “Hector”.

The idea of being merely a “straight” soul is horrifying.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Gay souls? I suppose that’s another description of defining people merely by where they like to put their “Hector”.

And yet you tout a book that wants to kill gay people. Hypocrite!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
No, my central concern is that you tout a book that calls for gay people to be killed.

Walt Zingmatilder

Then edit your book to get rid of the offensive bits instead of indulging in whataboutery: hang on though, some Christians take that old book literally, so you guys need to get your act together and do a bit of pruning.

So far as I can see nobody here is trying to eliminate religion, or Christianity specifically, although I have no objection to its continuing decline in the part of the world I live in.
Secularisation is the process of making society non religious is it not. What is that other than elimination. I know of one laddy here who is for the elimination of religion from the public space and another who dreams of the day when religion is no more. No names. No pack drill.

Walt Zingmatilder

Missing the time when you could own slaves.....

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

bluehillside Retd.

AB,

God gave us the gift of free will so that we could freely choose to accept Him - or reject Him.

Yes, we know that’s your blind faith claim but you can’t choose your sexual preferences so if that’s this supposed god’s barrier to entry it’s a rigged game.

"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

AB,

Our mission to spread the Good News is fundamental to share with others the reason for our existence.

And my “mission” is to insist that anyone who would presume such “Good News” justifies the claim with evidence and, when they can’t just as you can’t, to tell them and their evil beliefs to fuck off as far away from me and mine as they can.   

God

bluehillside Retd.

Vlad,

It's happening under secularisms watch.

Happening “under the watch” of a society that’s trying to prevent it and happening in a society that actively mandates it are very different things. 

We must examine, I think, whether a secular and non religious people tend to see this as a non issue because it cannnot be weaponised in the central concern of eliminating religion.

What on earth are you talking about? “Secular and non religious people” don’t see slavery as a “non-issue” at all.

God

bluehillside Retd.

Vlad,

Secularisation is the process of making society non religious is it not.

No. Secularism is merely the separation of church and state. Why do you struggle so to understand this?

What is that other than elimination.

Tolerance and indifference, obviously.

I know of one laddy here who is for the elimination of religion from the public space and another who dreams of the day when religion is no more. No names. No pack drill.

No you don’t. Freedom to speak the public square and specially privileged rights to government, to education, to the media etc are not the same thing. Again, why do you continually have to be corrected about this?   

God

SteveH

• God? She's black.
It is sin which separates us from God's love.
I think, from a strictly theological point of view, it is not sin which separates us from God's love; rather,, sin is separation from God's love.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ProfessorDavey

Secularisation is the process of making society non religious is it not. What is that other than elimination.
Complete non-sense. All secularism is is a separation of the state/Government/public services etc and religion. You could have a completely secular in which 100% of the people are actively religious. And a secular state is one that is completely neutral on the basis of whether individuals are religious or not and if religious which religious they follow. So an inherent element of secularisation is freedom of religion and freedom from religion as the state cannot be neutral unless it supports both of those elements.

Outrider

It wouldn't be relevant, really, if your Big Boy's Book of Bedtime Stories didn't explicitly call out people as abominations based upon where they like to put their 'Hector'. It's a bit rich to defend religious homophobia by complaining other people identify their sexuality.

Apart from you, who is suggesting that having a sexuality replaces having a personality?

Secularisation is the process of making society non religious is it not.

No, it's the process of removing religion from the halls of power. Separating religion and government and, to a lesser extent, religion and public convention.

What is that other than elimination.

Telling. The more secular a nation becomes, the less religious its population becomes, as though religion were either a tool for wielding power or significantly propped up by its infiltration of power. When it has to stand on its own merits it appears to wobble.

I know of one laddy here who is for the elimination of religion from the public space and another who dreams of the day when religion is no more.

And we have people here who are explicitly homophobic, people desperately trying to defend the Russian invasions of neighbouring nations, advocates of mystic-woo and one guy who sees antitheists EVERYWHERE.

It's almost likely we're a broad church. Except for the Church, bit, obviously.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Does that include the free will to kill gay people? Are you accepting him or rejecting him by killing gay people?

Do you condemn Christian evangelicals putting funding into Africa to achieve these killings?
Of course I condemn the supporters and perpetrators of such atrocities
Just as I condemn the killing of Christians in Nigeria
https://www.barnabasaid.org/gb/news/islamists-kill-295-nigerian-christians-in-wave-of-christmas-attacks/
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Of course I condemn the supporters and perpetrators of such atrocities
Just as I condemn the killing of Christians in Nigeria
https://www.barnabasaid.org/gb/news/islamists-kill-295-nigerian-christians-in-wave-of-christmas-attacks/
Religion seems to allow peole to commit all sorts of atrocities. Perhaps treating people as second class citizens because of your religious beliefs as you want to do isn't a great idea.

Alan Burns

Super - then perhaps they could leave others to enjoy their own happiness (provided their happiness is legal) without pontificating on areas that really are none of their business.
All I am doing is witnessing to the message of the Christian bible on a Christian thread on a Religion and Ethics forum.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

Religion seems to allow peole to commit all sorts of atrocities. Perhaps treating people as second class citizens because of your religious beliefs as you want to do isn't a great idea.
Mother Theresa said " I see Christ in every human being"

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Mother Theresa said " I see Christ in every human being"
How irrelevant to you thinking Aruntraveller's relationship is evil!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
All I am doing is witnessing to the message of the Christian bible on a Christian thread on a Religion and Ethics forum.
By being a homophobe

Gordon

• Administrator

This 'witnessing' word really pisses me off since what you actually mean is that you are defending Christianity, which is one sense is fine, but what isn't fine is that in doing so you are also defending the indefensible.

torridon

which in this case is to uphold and promote the prejudices and discrimination against minorities that characterised earlier times. Far better would be to 'witness' to the value of reason, compassion and fairness imv.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:14:09 AM by torridon »