Author Topic: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.  (Read 16003 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2024, 08:43:04 AM »
By being a homophobe
So does distaste for homosexuality make one a homophobe?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2024, 08:45:07 AM »
So does distaste for homosexuality make one a homophobe?
Thinking that Aruntraveller's relationship is not worthy of respect makes AB a homophobe.

Spud

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2024, 08:55:34 AM »
Thinking that Aruntraveller's relationship is not worthy of respect makes AB a homophobe.
So distaste for homosexuality doesn't make one a homophobe?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2024, 09:03:13 AM »
Please define what you mean by 'distaste'?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2024, 09:12:12 AM »
Please define what you mean by 'distaste'?
well perhaps starting with sexual practice since some Churches are often OK with Gay clergy as long as a gay isn't practicing. I think they have the same position on adulterers and fornication.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2024, 09:16:38 AM »
well perhaps starting with sexual practice since some Churches are often OK with Gay clergy as long as a gay isn't practicing. I think they have the same position on adulterers and fornication.
Sorry, that's not a definition of 'distaste'. Not sure what it is at all.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2024, 09:23:04 AM »
Sorry, that's not a definition of 'distaste'. Not sure what it is at all.
You are right since an individual, who may after all be an atheist homophobe has no power to exercise their disapproval by stopping a gay person doing anything career wise. By distaste of sexual practice I mean, if an individual wouldn't engage in the practice because of feeling or taste...does that make them homophobic?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2024, 09:26:39 AM »
You are right since an individual, who may after all be an atheist homophobe has no power to exercise their disapproval by stopping a gay person doing anything career wise. By distaste of sexual practice I mean, if an individual wouldn't engage in the practice because of feeling or taste...does that make them homophobic?
No.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2024, 09:52:36 AM »
Vlad,

...By distaste of sexual practice I mean, if an individual wouldn't engage in the practice because of feeling or taste...does that make them homophobic?

No, but calling it a "sin" and "hating" it does.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2024, 11:08:29 PM »
Vlad,

No, but calling it a "sin" and "hating" it does.
Hang on...Hate could be the very feeling that prevents someone from taking part in the sexual activities in question and the nature of the distaste, so perhaps you are contradicting yourself.

Sin of course is a theological issue. So are you saying here homophobia is bad enough, but when theists do it, it’s doubly bad?

I think though your evident conversion to absolute morality is a positive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 11:32:44 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2024, 09:20:38 AM »

Sin of course is a theological issue. So are you saying here homophobia is bad enough, but when theists do it, it’s doubly bad?

No. I think the point is that Christians profess to believe in an all-loving god but the ones that are homophobic are exactly as bigoted as non Christian homophobes and also extremely hypocritical.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2024, 10:08:00 AM »
Vlad,

Hang on...Hate could be the very feeling that prevents someone from taking part in the sexual activities in question and the nature of the distaste, so perhaps you are contradicting yourself.

No. I have a distaste for beetroot too, but I don’t use my distaste to label those who indulge in the stuff “sinful” or “morally disordered” and then judge their behaviour accordingly.

It’s contemptible in both cases, but the difference is the hypocrisy of, say, an AB persuading himself too that his hateful bigotry is the enactment of a loving god’s instructions and is therefore unarguable.

I think though your evident conversion to absolute morality is a positive.

I did no such thing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:25:11 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2024, 11:58:53 AM »
No. I think the point is that Christians profess to believe in an all-loving god but the ones that are homophobic are exactly as bigoted as non Christian homophobes and also extremely hypocritical.
To love everything leads to illogicality, so perhaps we should stear clear of the God of philosophical discussion.

I think then there is an antitheist's preferred God. The God of deranged swivel eyed wrath and a full biblical interpretation where God loves all people and hates whatever separates people from his love. What  that is, of course is something each individual has to work out themselves.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2024, 12:19:04 PM »
No, it doesn't. I find the idea of male homosexual sex distasteful (but not, curiously, lesbian sex), but I recognise that irrational gut reactions are no guide to morality, and am happy for men to love men, and women women. I also find the idea of eating raw eggs distasteful, but don't regard it as immoral.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2024, 12:19:15 PM »
Vlad,

To love everything leads to illogicality, so perhaps we should stear clear of the God of philosophical discussion.

By “we” presumably you mean theists here as it’s their claim?

I think then there is an antitheist's preferred God.

Presumably because of your fondness for straw men?

The God of deranged swivel eyed wrath and a full biblical interpretation where God loves all people and hates whatever separates people from his love.

These are some of the claims theists make about “god”, yes. So what though?

What  that is, of course is something each individual has to work out themselves.

But only “individuals” who buy this god narrative. For the rest of us, there’s no more need to work this out for ourselves than there’s a need to work out for ourselves what Poseidon had for breakfast. 

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2024, 12:27:20 PM »
To love everything leads to illogicality
Agreed, by the "all loving god" is not a straw man that I invented; it's something that Christians invented.
, so perhaps we should stear clear of the God of philosophical discussion.
But you love philosophical discussion, or t last you love using the jargon, even if you don't understand it.

I think then there is an antitheist's preferred God. The God of deranged swivel eyed wrath and a full biblical interpretation where God loves all people and hates whatever separates people from his love. What  that is, of course is something each individual has to work out themselves.

As I said, I didn't invent the all loving god, Christians did. That's why it is so hypocritical of some of them (note: I didn't ever claim all of you) to be so homophobic.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2024, 12:33:04 PM »
The God of deranged swivel eyed wrath and a full biblical interpretation where God loves all people and hates whatever separates people from his love.

Antitheists didn't invent that god either. It comes from the Bible which was written by theists.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2024, 12:39:07 PM »
Antitheists didn't invent that god either. It comes from the Bible which was written by theists.
No it comes from a bowdlerisation starting from the freethinkers, right up to the Noo atheists, fuelled by atheist urban mythmakers....IMHO.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2024, 12:46:30 PM »
No it comes from a bowdlerisation starting from the freethinkers, right up to the Noo atheists, fuelled by atheist urban mythmakers....IMHO.

Have you read any of the Old Testament? In it, the chief god wipes out almost all of humanity for being naughty. If that's not wrathful, what is?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2024, 01:01:58 PM »
Vlad,

Suggest you try actually reading the texts you deem to be "holy". They contain multiple (and often mutually contradictory) descriptions of "god". My experience of theists here and elsewhere is that the homophobes will select the homophobic bits as divine instruction, the nice ones will select the "Jesus meek and mild" bits and so on.

All that atheists do is to respond to these multiple god archetypes as they're presented – not make up our own.       

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2024, 02:37:09 PM »
Think you are the one bowdlerising your holy book. You worship rape.

Outrider

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2024, 04:37:26 PM »
Mother Theresa said " I see Christ in every human being"

But when she said 'Christ' she meant 'dollars'.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Outrider

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2024, 04:39:59 PM »

Which sexual practice can gay people do that straight people can't? I mean, I can think of one or two, but in the main the sexual practices of gay people are also the sexual practices of at least some straight people.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2024, 08:27:47 AM »
Think you are the one bowdlerising your holy book. You worship rape.
So I worship the part i’m trying to ignore? stumbling over your own hysterical rhetoric perhaps?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 08:47:48 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »