Author Topic: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.  (Read 16028 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2024, 08:07:57 AM »
I recall Anne Atkins' famous but controversial talk on radio 4's thought for the day in which she reminded us that all sex outside marriage is a sin, quoting Jesus saying to the woman caught in the act of adultery "Go and sin no more".

Or rather - referring to anecdotal accounts of uncertain provenance of what Jesus is alleged to have said and done: a point that I think applies to all these "Jesus tells us/reminds us" claims.

You are lumbering under the illusion that what the NT claims surrounding Jesus is both certain historical fact and is also authoritative: it is neither.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Professor Rosaria Butterfield gives a powerful and brave speech to students.
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2024, 08:47:23 AM »

Personally I think too much is being made of homosexuality. As far as I am concerned...its neither here nor there.  I am a Hindu and we don't have any specific opinion on homosexuals. Life is about karma (action) and its consequences....and I accept that. 

As far as sin and natural order is concerned we have to look at it only from a human angle. Sin is specific to humans. Animals do not sin. Sin comes in only if we can control and regulate our thoughts and actions but we choose not to.

If we keep justifying our actions in terms of animal life we will not remain civilized let along progress spiritually. That is what I meant by referring to cannibalism,  killing rivals, killing babies, eating offspring etc.
Why are you repeating the straw man argument about justifying actions based on animal life?

And once again this reads as if you are saying homosexuality is the equivalent of cannibalism. Again this may be because having posted without reading the thread, you have ended up confusing everyone, including yourself, but you don't appear to be reading the replies pointing out your misreadings either.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:08:26 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2024, 08:52:15 AM »
We all have weaknesses which, if we give in to their temptation, will lead us away from God's unconditional love.
It is not just homosexuals who have such weakness - the bible reveals that we are all born with original sin.  If we were born perfect, we would have no need for God's salvation, and we would not be aware of God's love.

I recall Anne Atkins' famous but controversial talk on radio 4's thought for the day in which she reminded us that all sex outside marriage is a sin, quoting Jesus saying to the woman caught in the act of adultery "Go and sin no more".
Do you support same sex civil marriage?

Enki

« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
....It is not just homosexuals who have such weakness - the bible reveals that we are all born with original sin.  If we were born perfect, we would have no need for God's salvation, and we would not be aware of God's love....

Interesting! So, as I am completely unaware of your supposed God's love and certainly feel no need of your supposed God's salvation, could it be therefore that I was 'born perfect' after all? This does seem to be the logic of what you are saying. My wife, of course, would totally disagree that I was 'born perfect'. How little does she know!  :D ;)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2024, 11:21:01 AM »
We all have weaknesses which, if we give in to their temptation, will lead us away from God's unconditional love.
Unconditional?

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

the bible reveals that we are all born with original sin.
Kind of stupid of God to design us that way.

If we were born perfect, we would have no need for God's salvation, and we would not be aware of God's love.
Was Jesus aware of God's love? Was Jesus perfect?

That story is a fairly late interpolation. It was probably inserted into the Gospel of John in the fourth or fifth century.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2024, 11:28:39 AM »
You are implying that the views of Atkins confer some kind of greater authority than the views of anyone else. They don't - she is entitled to her homophobic views as long as they don't stray into the territory of discriminating against gay people. But we are just as entitled to hold different view and to completely ignore her views and/or treat them with disdain. And quoting Jesus - i.e. referring to some completely unsubstantiated ancient text confers absolutely zero additional weight to her views.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2024, 12:27:48 PM »
I guess for those that sign up to your brand of sky fairyness then them's the club rules. This is a Christian topic so am guessing you only think this applies to your club members. For the rest of is its just sex outside marriage which is a personal choice between consenting adults. It's mostly fun/emotional but most of all, its just part of the human existance.
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2024, 12:36:00 PM »
I guess for those that sign up to your brand of sky fairyness then them's the club rules. This is a Christian topic so am guessing you only think this applies to your club members. For the rest of is its just sex outside marriage which is a personal choice between consenting adults. It's mostly fun/emotional but most of all, its just part of the human existance.
I think Alan's very clear that he thinks the rules apply tl everyone, and he's here tl save us all while worshipping a god that created child leukemia but finds his contact lens.

splashscuba

« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2024, 12:56:17 PM »
I think Alan's very clear that he thinks the rules apply tl everyone
He'd be wrong then, obvs.
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2024, 01:14:01 PM »
He'd be wrong then, obvs.
Well, I think he's wrong but I'm not sure it can be stated as an obvious fact. Just as he can't show that he's correct.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2024, 02:01:21 PM »
Well, I think he's wrong but I'm not sure it can be stated as an obvious fact. Just as he can't show that he's correct.

Yes, it's an obvious fact. The Christian religion is based on tenets that are incoherent. It is obvious that nobody who doesn't subscribe to it has to adhere to its rules.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2024, 02:15:46 PM »
Yes, it's an obvious fact. The Christian religion is based on tenets that are incoherent. It is obvious that nobody who doesn't subscribe to it has to adhere to its rules.
if there is a psychopathic god that is deeply interested in what people do sexually, then the rules apply in the sense that it can do what it likes to apply them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 02:20:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

splashscuba

« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2024, 02:17:55 PM »
Never been a Christian so Obviously doen't apply to me. I usually adhere to the club rules I follow though i.e. climbing club. Don't think there's much crossover with the Chtistian club rules.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2024, 02:21:47 PM »
Never been a Christian so Obviously doen't apply to me. I usually adhere to the club rules I follow though i.e. climbing club. Don't think there's much crossover with the Chtistian club rules.
And yet if some all powerful entity wants to ignore your choice because it's a weird nutjob, the rules would apply to you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 02:42:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2024, 09:03:20 PM »
It is not just homosexuals who have such weakness - the bible reveals that we are all born with original sin.  If we were born perfect, we would have no need for God's salvation, and we would not be aware of God's love.

Anne Atkins is an appalling old bigot, whose pseudo-sophisticated style just makes her ludicrous as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:10:32 PM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2024, 09:09:34 PM »
Anne Atkins is an appalling old bigot, whose louche, pseudo=sophisticated style just makes her ludicrous as well.
And like the RC church isn't too keen on reporting paedophiles.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/iv-drip/my-friend-the-paedophile-why-didn-t-agony-aunt-anne-atkins-report-what-she-knows-8220159.html

splashscuba

« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2024, 10:36:35 PM »
And yet if some all powerful entity wants to ignore your choice because it's a weird nutjob, the rules would apply to you.
There isn't one.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2024, 05:20:52 AM »

Maybe the emphasis on heterosexuality by religions is a natural selection process by which reproductive phenotypes are promoted and non reproductive phenotypes are discouraged........ 

After all, religions are only promoting reproduction and parental responsibilities. Nothing wrong with that!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 05:25:08 AM by Sriram »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2024, 07:03:21 AM »
if there is a psychopathic god that is deeply interested in what people do sexually, then the rules apply in the sense that it can do what it likes to apply them.
And if the World is flat we could fall off the edge of it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2024, 07:32:17 AM »
And if the World is flat we could fall off the edge of it.
No, that's a category mistake. We can demonstrate the world isn't flat. We can't do the same with god claims. That said, it means that those who make them can't demonstrate any reason to believe them. In addition, you can point out that different claims they make about their 'god' are inconsistent.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2024, 07:36:46 AM »
Maybe the emphasis on heterosexuality by religions is a natural selection process by which reproductive phenotypes are promoted and non reproductive phenotypes are discouraged........ 

After all, religions are only promoting reproduction and parental responsibilities. Nothing wrong with that!
This reads like a restatement of your use of the 'appeal to nature' fallacy which when the logical conclusions of that were pointed out you disavowed.

In addition it's, at best, disingenous tl describe the attempts of some religious people to have homosexuals treated as second class citizens including criminalising homosexual activity as 'encouraging heterosexuality'.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2024, 08:40:56 AM »
No, that's a category mistake.
No that's obfuscatory bollocks.

The point is that nothing is completely certain in this world but some things are so easy to discount that we can talk about them with what amounts to be certainty.

We can demonstrate the world isn't flat.
We can demonstrate that the Christian god and Christian ideology are incoherent concepts.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2024, 08:50:52 AM »
No that's obfuscatory bollocks.

The point is that nothing is completely certain in this world but some things are so easy to discount that we can talk about them with what amounts to be certainty.
We can demonstrate that the Christian god and Christian ideology are incoherent concepts.
I agree that it makes no essential difference to how we acy but accuracy in terms of discourse is not 'obfuscatory bollocks'.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2024, 09:20:22 AM »
I agree that it makes no essential difference to how we acy but accuracy in terms of discourse is not 'obfuscatory bollocks'.
No, but your "category error" nonsense was just obfuscatory bollocks.