Author Topic: Florida lawmakers pass bill to ban social media for anyone under 16  (Read 516 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
It's interesting that this may be an issue that brings together different political views that exist in the US.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/florida-lawmakers-pass-bill-ban-social-media-children-under-16-2024-02-23/

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Florida lawmakers pass bill to ban social media for anyone under 16
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 11:45:15 AM »
I'd be interested to know how they are going to enforce this. Furthermore, do we really want to criminalise children just for going on Facebook?

Also, imagine being the youngest person in the class and being the only one not on Instagram.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 11:50:47 AM »
I'd be interested to know how they are going to enforce this. Furthermore, do we really want to criminalise children just for going on Facebook?

Also, imagine being the youngest person in the class and being the only one not on Instagram.
I don't think the suggestion is that children will be criminalised by this.

And while age limits are a blunt tool, I don't see a way to avoid them in matters such as say buying alcohol.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »
I don't think the suggestion is that children will be criminalised by this.
If it's agains the law and they are caught doing it, somebody has got to be criminalised. It's either them or their parents.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 12:02:45 PM »
If it's agains the law and they are caught doing it, somebody has got to be criminalised. It's either them or their parents.
That's not how it works when it comes to buying alcohol.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
I understand the motivation and agree in general terms but I keep coming back to how the heck can you enforce this? Pandora's box is well and truly blown wide open and I can't see a way of shutting it by law.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 01:24:47 PM »
I understand the motivation and agree in general terms but I keep coming back to how the heck can you enforce this? Pandora's box is well and truly blown wide open and I can't see a way of shutting it by law.
I mostly agree, though I think sometimes legislation is like mood music, and that if nothing is done, then it looks like approval.

Outrider

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 08:13:41 PM »

I've not seen much coverage of the proposed bill, yet, but I suspect that the social media companies will be the ones on the hook - I can see all sorts of appeals from the near-limitless legal coffers of the 'FANG' group about the practical problems of age verification systems, and how they're being punished for other people's speech. It's not an argument that worked over here in advance of the Online Safety Bill, but with veneration of 'free speech' arguments in the States it might work.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:06 AM »
That's not how it works when it comes to buying alcohol.

Why are you obsessing over alcohol? This is not buying alcohol.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 09:02:21 AM »
I've not seen much coverage of the proposed bill, yet, but I suspect that the social media companies will be the ones on the hook - I can see all sorts of appeals from the near-limitless legal coffers of the 'FANG' group about the practical problems of age verification systems, and how they're being punished for other people's speech. It's not an argument that worked over here in advance of the Online Safety Bill, but with veneration of 'free speech' arguments in the States it might work.

O.

That's also problematic. Supposing a child signs up for a social media account in a state where it's not illegal and then their family moves to Florida. The law is being broken as soon as they cross the state line.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 09:25:18 AM »
Why are you obsessing over alcohol? This is not buying alcohol.
I'm not. I'm just using it as an example of an age based restriction which doesn't follow the enforcement approach you suggested.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 06:44:12 PM »
From closer to home. A case that reinforces the case for something being done.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/26/golden-boy-16-killed-himself-after-being-blackmailed-over-nude-photos

Just what I don't know.  :'(
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 07:05:07 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/26/golden-boy-16-killed-himself-after-being-blackmailed-over-nude-photos

I think that in such circumstances, some symbolic actions, like the Florida law, may be reasonable, even if they don't directly change behaviour.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 03:23:50 PM »

Maybe, rather like a driving test, we should have a posting test. (Not entirely joking)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 03:28:52 PM »
Maybe, rather like a driving test, we should have a posting test. (Not entirely joking)

There certainly needs to be much better education about the use of social media.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 03:34:05 PM »
There certainly needs to be much better education about the use of social media.
and not just to kids

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 04:01:31 PM »
and not just to kids

Exactly my thoughts. And it's not just to avoid scams and predators. People forget that social media is public and then act surprised when some things they broadcast to the World (e.g. how crappy the company they work for is) get them in hot water.  Then there's also the privacy angle.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 04:12:16 PM »
I find myself agreeing with Ron DeSantis, which is worrying.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".