Author Topic: Pub of the Year loses title after Nazi memorabilia complaint  (Read 301 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Pub of the Year loses title after Nazi memorabilia complaint
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 07:27:10 PM »
I see a certain amount of irony in the situation.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:43:56 PM »
Meanwhile...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/no-action-will-be-taken-against-met-officer-who-said-swastikas-need-to-be-taken-in-context/ar-BB1kS7s9

I suspect that a number of those who might disagree with the policeman that what a swastika means depends on the context would think the one in the pub was fine.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:24:01 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 09:57:02 AM »
Meanwhile...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/no-action-will-be-taken-against-met-officer-who-said-swastikas-need-to-be-taken-in-context/ar-BB1kS7s9

I suspect that a number of those who might disagree with the policeman that what a swastika means depends on the context would think the one in the pub was fine.

In the general sense, the police officer was correct. For example, look at this pre-war Finnish aeroplane

Or this carving on a Hindu temple.

Having said that, the context in this case is a pro-Palestine march. I think it is obvious what the Swastika means in that context. It shouldn't have been displayed.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 12:12:33 PM »
In the general sense, the police officer was correct. For example, look at this pre-war Finnish aeroplane

Or this carving on a Hindu temple.

Having said that, the context in this case is a pro-Palestine march. I think it is obvious what the Swastika means in that context. It shouldn't have been displayed.

It's was used in the Finnish airforce until quite recently (2017) on unit emblems but was quietly dropped due to it causing misunderstandings.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.