Author Topic: Why has LinkedIn become so weird?  (Read 270 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Why has LinkedIn become so weird?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 08:47:54 AM »
I actually don’t think giving 100% every day is great; I think 80% is good and well-organised, and 100% only when necessary.

I like her. Can I hire her?

As far as Linked-In goes, I have a profile, of course, but I rarely use it except to contact people I once worked with and may be able to help me with my current work - less so now that I am semi-retired.

Our marketeers love it though. It gives them all sorts of intelligence on the people they are trying to sell to. If you have a paid subscription, you can see all sorts of stuff us plebs can't. They also think it's a great marketing channel - wrongly IMO. Because they use it all the time, they assume everybody does.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Outrider

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 08:51:45 AM »
LinkedIn keeps the Tony Robbins wannabes away from the rest of social media, so to that extent I think it's a sort of a public service, isn't it?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 08:52:54 AM »
I like her. Can I hire her?

As far as Linked-In goes, I have a profile, of course, but I rarely use it except to contact people I once worked with and may be able to help me with my current work - less so now that I am semi-retired.

Our marketeers love it though. It gives them all sorts of intelligence on the people they are trying to sell to. If you have a paid subscription, you can see all sorts of stuff us plebs can't. They also think it's a great marketing channel - wrongly IMO. Because they use it all the time, they assume everybody does.

Agree, I've always put the marketing done on it that isn't based on a close connection straight in the e-bin. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 08:54:21 AM »
LinkedIn keeps the Tony Robbins wannabes away from the rest of social media, so to that extent I think it's a sort of a public service, isn't it?

O.
Anyone like that will be using every other social media service though as well.