Author Topic: Nicknames  (Read 277 times)

Roses

Nicknames
« on: July 18, 2024, 05:36:37 PM »
Are any of the posters on this forum willing to share any nicknames they have been called?

My late father used to call me 'Little Roses' when I was a child and the name 'Roses' is what I am called by my family. 'Granny Roses' is what my grandchildren call me. :) My mother always called me by my full name, which she hyphenated, I was called 'Hyphen' at the Ladies College I attended for my secondary school education.

My Baby Sister, calls me D.O.B. short for Daft Old Bat. ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 06:09:52 PM »
Not really a nickname, Shuggie.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
During the 7 years of my forced removal to England (1963-70) where I did my secondary schooling in deepest Hertfordshire (St Albans to be precise) I was the only Scottish kid in school until my younger brother turned up - we sounded very different in terms of accent, and I/we were invariably called 'Jock'.

I'd have loved a really cool nickname but, sadly, in was not to be.

Roses

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 06:50:13 PM »
During the 7 years of my forced removal to England (1963-70) where I did my secondary schooling in deepest Hertfordshire (St Albans to be precise) I was the only Scottish kid in school until my younger brother turned up - we sounded very different in terms of accent, and I/we were invariably called 'Jock'.

Would 'Wild Haggis' be a cool nickname? ;D

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 06:54:59 PM »
Would 'Wild Haggis' be a cool nickname? ;D

That would be severely uncool, and may have lead to some unpleasantness.

Roses

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 08:29:16 AM »
That would be severely uncool, and may have lead to some unpleasantness.

I do apologise, I didn't mean to be impolite. :-[

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 09:10:48 AM »

Not very imaginative Gordon.

I also ended up in St Albans, but in 1973 and relocated from Merseyside. I don't think I'd developed much of an accent so no 'Scouse' nickname for me.

Which school did you end up at in St Albans?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 12:10:28 PM »
Not very imaginative Gordon.

I also ended up in St Albans, but in 1973 and relocated from Merseyside. I don't think I'd developed much of an accent so no 'Scouse' nickname for me.

Which school did you end up at in St Albans?

Beaumont - we lived in St John's Court, just off Beaumont Avenue. I recall the Headmaster was called Mr Dawson (I think).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2024, 12:39:46 PM »
Beaumont - we lived in St John's Court, just off Beaumont Avenue. I recall the Headmaster was called Mr Dawson (I think).
Well I never!!

I went to Verulam - would have been the boys grammar in your day before it became a comp.

I still live in the area - in Beaumont Ave! And at the end nearest St John’s Ct.

My three kids all went to Beaumont School - last day of year 12 for my youngest. And I’m now a governor at that school. Current head is Mr Atkinson.

Small world.