Author Topic: Do any of you have an association with any historial figures?  (Read 260 times)

Roses

My childhood home in Guernsey was supposed to have been built on the foundations of the one belonging the Minstrel Blondel. He was given lands in Normandy and the Channel Islands for having rescued King Richard from the prison in Austria. Sadly any documentation referring  to this would have been destroyed in a house fire in 1820. I have a very ancient key I found in our attic as a child, which I used to speculate could have been the one Blondel used to unlock the prison door. It is now hanging on the kitchen wall in our present home. Obviously there is no way of telling if it was the key, but I suppose it would be worth a bob or two if that was the case.

I would be interested to hear if any you have any historical figures in your past.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Do any of you have an association with any historial figures?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 03:58:54 PM »
Charlemagne

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 07:52:36 PM »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 09:06:17 PM »
Charlemagne lived 1300 years ago.

Allowing for three or so generations each century and the fact that each of us has two parents that gives each of us 2 to the power of 40 direct ancestors ... 1,099,511,627,776.  (The current population of the planet is about 8,100,000,000.)  Distant individual ancestors will almost certainly appear multiple times in our family tree.

In addition, Charlemagne had at least 20 children.

And random events such as the black death decimated the populations of nations on more than one occasion.

It is statistically inconceivable that any of us does not have Charlemagne in our family tree ...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 09:13:45 PM by Harrowby Hall »

Maeght

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 09:19:17 PM »
Charlemagne lived 1300 years ago.

Allowing for three or so generations each century and the fact that each of us has two parents that gives each of us 2 to the power of 40 direct ancestors ... 1,099,511,627,776.  (The current population of the planet is about 8,100,000,000.)  Distant individual ancestors will almost certainly appear multiple times in our family tree.

In addition, Charlemagne had at least 20 children.

And random events such as the black death decimated the populations of nations on more than one occasion.

It is statistically inconceivable that any of us does not have Charlemagne in our family tree ...

That was the joke wasn't it?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2024, 09:26:17 PM »
I did assume that NS's first reply to the question was a joke.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 01:29:33 AM »
Me, no.
Irish farmworker immigrants and Orkney farmers/fishermen.
Good solid stock!

My wife however is the great, great granddaughter of John MacPherson, one of the Skye martyrs.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein