Author Topic: To infinity and beyond.  (Read 2735 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: To infinity and beyond.
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2024, 12:36:08 PM »
No, you said that zero is an ontological absurdity, that would apply to the nothing in the question of why something rather than nothing.

You then used non existent things as the equivalent of the nothing in the question but they are also analogus to the zero you are saying is an ontological absurdity, hence your contradiction.
After a morning of this, Sane, I’m afraid you have me in the position of “not knowing which cup the walnut is under”

To say that a physically non existent thing exists is an absurdity. That means we cannot “find it physically, I.e in nature.

That tells us nothing about why physics exists.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2024, 12:41:28 PM »
After a morning of this, Sane, I’m afraid you have me in the position of “not knowing which cup the walnut is under”

To say that a physically non existent thing exists is an absurdity. That means we cannot “find it physically, I.e in nature.

That tells us nothing about why physics exists.
And yet a nothing in the question why something rather than nothing is an ontological statement. I would suggest that your confusion is entirely self inflicted.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »

It's quite simple. You are claiming that zeros don't exist in nature. If it's true, this means we can answer the question "why something rather than nothing?" by pointing out that nothings don't physically exist and therefore something must be the answer. Suddenly we don't need to invoke a god because it turns out there always has been a something and there never was a need to create it out of nothing.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2024, 02:25:37 PM »
It's quite simple. You are claiming that zeros don't exist in nature. If it's true, this means we can answer the question "why something rather than nothing?" by pointing out that nothings don't physically exist and therefore something must be the answer. Suddenly we don't need to invoke a god because it turns out there always has been a something and there never was a need to create it out of nothing.
No, I can agree that there has to be something, that it always was. But I do not thane to agree to it being physical.
I also do not have to agree to it being a potential.

I thought all of that was implicit in my question to you “what is it about the universe that is necessary?” Or put it another way you seem to be agreeing that there must be an unactualised actualiser for all potential entities. I e. Physical entities.

In other words there is something that must exist but it cannot be contingent on nothing.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2024, 02:27:24 PM »
No, I can agree that there has to be something, that it always was. But I do not thane to agree to it being physical.
I also do not have to agree to it being a potential.

I thought all of that was implicit in my question to you “what is it about the universe that is necessary?” Or put it another way you seem to be agreeing that there must be an unactualised actualiser for all potential entities. I e. Physical entities.

In other words there is something that must exist but it cannot be contingent on nothing.
Apart from what is a non physical thing, you've again just argued again that there would be something, as nothing cannot be.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2024, 02:37:00 PM »
Apart from what is a non physical thing, you've again just argued again that there would be something, as nothing cannot be.
Being a theist i’ve Never argued that nothing actually existed.

God is not dependent on non existent things. And neither are you or I. They have no effect.
I feel you are concentrating on getting one over rather than realising what you might have talked yourself into.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2024, 02:40:56 PM »
Being a theist i’ve Never argued that nothing actually existed.

God is not dependent on non existent things. And neither are you or I. They have no effect.
I feel you are concentrating on getting one over rather than realising what you might have talked yourself into.
Buggered if I know what you are attempting to say
 Not at all sure you know either.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2024, 06:49:14 PM »
This thread is about actual  infinities and zeroes existing physically. Which would be a neat trick if you could pull it off.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2024, 07:40:48 PM »
This thread is about actual  infinities and zeroes existing physically. Which would be a neat trick if you could pull it off.

Well we have shown actual zeros exist and current knowledge of the Universe strongly suggests actual infinities exist.

Job done.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2024, 08:14:24 AM »
Well we have shown actual zeros exist and current knowledge of the Universe strongly suggests actual infinities exist.

Job done.
It will be possible then to attribute physical properties to zeroes then. Good luck with that one.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2024, 11:13:06 AM »
Well it's difficult to say what it's about as your OP is just a ramble, and at one point you said it wasn't about zeroes, so now you've contradicted yourself again, but the idea that nothing could be, which is the basis of your why something rather than nothing question, is tangled up with actual zero, and in such a way that make your statements about it and zero contradictory.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2024, 03:05:48 PM »
It will be possible then to attribute physical properties to zeroes then. Good luck with that one.
Zero zebras have zero mass.

That was easy.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2024, 10:38:49 AM »
Zero zebras have zero mass.

That was easy.
Unfortunately zero zebras is indistinguishable from zero elephants or the absence of hyenas or zero physical properties or indeed, the absence of physical properties.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2024, 11:42:29 AM »
Unfortunately zero zebras is indistinguishable from zero elephants or the absence of hyenas or zero physical properties or indeed, the absence of physical properties.

Why do you think it is unfortunate? It's still zero.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2024, 01:12:36 PM »
Why do you think it is unfortunate? It's still zero.
It's unfortunate for anyone touting zeros as actual physical entities and then in the hope that establishing that  a real physical entity called a zero suggests that actual infinities exist.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2024, 03:53:32 PM »
It's unfortunate for anyone touting zeros as actual physical entities

Who's doing that? The question was "do zeros exist?" I answered it. There are zero zebras in the room in which I am typing this. Zeros exist.

Thinking about it: this room is a physical entity and contains zero zebras, so there we are: a physical demonstration of zero.

and then in the hope that establishing that  a real physical entity called a zero suggests that actual infinities exist.

I've demonstrated that physical zeros exist. It was you who claimed that zeros existing means infinities exist, not me.

Although, I will point out that the physical universe appears to be infinite in extent, according to the latest measurements. So there's that.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2024, 07:58:22 PM »
Who's doing that? The question was "do zeros exist?" I answered it. There are zero zebras in the room in which I am typing this. Zeros exist.

Thinking about it: this room is a physical entity and contains zero zebras, so there we are: a physical demonstration of zero.

I've demonstrated that physical zeros exist. It was you who claimed that zeros existing means infinities exist, not me.

Although, I will point out that the physical universe appears to be infinite in extent, according to the latest measurements. So there's that.
Then I think we have an issue over what the Question was and I rather think it had something to do with whether infinities existed in physical reality.
I am perfectly willing to accept a mathematical reality but that isn't physical reality.
So for folks on here otherwise obsessed by empirical evidence, you all seem peculiarly relaxed about it when it comes to Infinities and zero.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #92 on: Today at 09:28:48 AM »
Then I think we have an issue over what the Question was

No we don't. You have an issue because your arguments have been demolished again but you can't admit it.

and I rather think it had something to do with whether infinities existed in physical reality.
And I've told you that current measurements from cosmology suggest that they do. Granted, something might happen that changes things but, as best we know at the moment: infinities do exist.

I am perfectly willing to accept a mathematical reality but that isn't physical reality.
You don't accept the evidence then. Just be honest and say that.

So for folks on here otherwise obsessed by empirical evidence, you all seem peculiarly relaxed about it when it comes to Infinities and zero.

The empirical evidence for zeros is incontrovertible. The empirical evidence for infinities is in favour. I don't have to be relaxed about empirical evidence because it is on my side.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #93 on: Today at 09:29:41 AM »
I'll ask the moderators to close the thread, because you have now clearly lost. There's no point in carrying on.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #94 on: Today at 10:15:09 AM »
I'll ask the moderators to close the thread, because you have now clearly lost. There's no point in carrying on.
Courtiers reply.