Author Topic: Angus Robertson faces SNP fury over Israel meeting in leaked letter  (Read 461 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Angus Robertson faces SNP fury over Israel meeting in leaked letter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 10:11:23 AM »
Quite incredible tweet from John Mason SNP MSP

https://x.com/JohnMasonMSP/status/1824560329352941820

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 12:44:09 PM »

The whip removed from Mason. Can't see him getting it back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cg791g2z8zyo

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 01:17:58 PM »
Ructions in SNP about meeting with an Israeli ambassador

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,exclusive-angus-robertson-faces-snp-fury-over-israel-meeting-in-leaked-letter

Incredible that a member of the Scottish government can't even meet with a representative with Israel. Members of the SNP need to grow up.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 01:20:49 PM »

Well he is right. If Israel wanted to wipe out the Palestinians, they could have done so by now.

Bickering about whether to call the action genocide or not is a pathetic waste of time.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 01:34:18 PM »
Well he is right. If Israel wanted to wipe out the Palestinians, they could have done so by now.

Bickering about whether to call the action genocide or not is a pathetic waste of time.
And playing down deaths because there could have been more is idiocy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2024, 01:39:10 PM »
Incredible that a member of the Scottish government can't even meet with a representative with Israel. Members of the SNP need to grow up.
I think the issue is that the remit of the meeting was played up by the Israeli ambassador as  supportive and that the news and decision hadn't been managed or agreed internally.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2024, 12:25:22 PM »
And playing down deaths because there could have been more is idiocy.
Who's playing down the deaths?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2024, 12:28:37 PM »
Who's playing down the deaths?
The tweet from Mason does that

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2024, 04:40:16 PM »
The tweet from Mason does that
What? you think a death somehow means more just because somebody erroneously labels it "genocide"?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2024, 04:54:13 PM »
What? you think a death somehow means more just because somebody erroneously labels it "genocide"?
No. I think saying that there could have been many more killings plays down those that have happened. Also that there could have been many more killings doesn't stop something from being a genocide,  so Mason's tweet plays down the deaths that have happened to make a point that is irrelevant to whether or not it is genocide.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2024, 07:50:09 PM »
No. I think saying that there could have been many more killings plays down those that have happened. Also that there could have been many more killings doesn't stop something from being a genocide,  so Mason's tweet plays down the deaths that have happened to make a point that is irrelevant to whether or not it is genocide.
Why is it so important to you to apply the label "genocide" to any particular action?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2024, 08:04:46 PM »
Why is it so important to you to apply the label "genocide" to any particular action?
It's not. As already covered, it's that the tweet downplays the killings by saying that there could be have been more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 08:17:12 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2024, 08:30:01 PM »
It's not. As already covered, it's that the tweet downplays the killings by saying that there could be have been more.
It's not downplaying the killings. It's making a point that what is happening in Gaza is not genocide.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2024, 08:45:43 PM »
It's not downplaying the killings. It's making a point that what is happening in Gaza is not genocide.
No, it's downplaying the killings. Again as already covered that there might be more is irrelevant to whether it's genocide or not. That Israel could have killed more people as a point only downplays the killings.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 03:36:04 PM »
Apology statement from Robertson

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 03:55:46 PM »
Is foreign policy a matter devolved to the Scottish government?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2024, 04:01:07 PM »
Is foreign policy a matter devolved to the Scottish government?
No.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2024, 04:03:33 PM »
No.
Which rather begs the question - why was Robertson meeting the Israeli ambassador in an official capacity in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 04:06:53 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2024, 04:14:42 PM »
Which rather begs the question - why was Robertson meeting the Israeli ambassador in an official capacity in the first place.
Habit and repute? It's not new, though the role that Robertson has is one engineered to give the impression  that there has been some devolution of it.

And I'm sorry to see that you have given up on the correct use of begging the question.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2024, 04:38:29 PM »
Habit and repute? It's not new, though the role that Robertson has is one engineered to give the impression  that there has been some devolution of it.
So over-reaching then.

I can see why portfolio holders in devolved assemblies/parliaments may meet with key members of foreign governments to support inward investment into their area, or to promote tourism etc. But if I'm getting this right the purpose of Robertson's meeting was to indicate the Scottish Government's position on the conflict and a ceasefire. While Robertson is perfectly entitled to express his opinions on this matter as a private individual, or even as an MSP, but to do so on behalf of the Scottish Government, under the guise of officialdom doesn't seem appropraite to me.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2024, 04:43:19 PM »
So over-reaching then.

I can see why portfolio holders in devolved assemblies/parliaments may meet with key members of foreign governments to support inward investment into their area, or to promote tourism etc. But if I'm getting this right the purpose of Robertson's meeting was to indicate the Scottish Government's position on the conflict and a ceasefire. While Robertson is perfectly entitled to express his opinions on this matter as a private individual, or even as an MSP, but to do so on behalf of the Scottish Government, under the guise of officialdom doesn't seem appropraite to me.
Again, it's not new, and given there is a grey area about meeting with other countries ambassadors created by the devolution settlement, difficult to restrict. It's obviously in the SNP's interests to push the boundaries of such contact but I couldn't say when the first instance happened but it's not recently, and I can't swear that it didn't happen ever prior to 2007.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2024, 04:47:53 PM »
Again, it's not new, and given there is a grey area about meeting with other countries ambassadors created by the devolution settlement, difficult to restrict. It's obviously in the SNP's interests to push the boundaries of such contact but I couldn't say when the first instance happened but it's not recently, and I can't swear that it didn't happen ever prior to 2007.
Just becasue it isn't new doesn't make it right.

And it isn't the notion of meeting with an ambassador in an official capacity that is the problem - I can see plenty of reasons why a meeting between an executive member of a devolved body would be completely appropriate - e.g. to discuss trade, or tourism, or cultural links. The point is that the purpose of the meeting should sit within the devolved responsibilities of that body. In this case it doesn't appear to be.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2024, 04:54:27 PM »
Just becasue it isn't new doesn't make it right.

And it isn't the notion of meeting with an ambassador in an official capacity that is the problem - I can see plenty of reasons why a meeting between an executive member of a devolved body would be completely appropriate - e.g. to discuss trade, or tourism, or cultural links. The point is that the purpose of the meeting should sit within the devolved responsibilities of that body. In this case it doesn't appear to be.
I didn't say it was right but if it started many years ago then it's been accepted by the UK govt by habit and repute.

As to restricting the meetings, imagine the meeting had been primarily to discuss an inward investment, if there is no chance to consider possible human rights violations of the investing govt, that seems problematic to the decision. I don't think the devolution settlement rules out such consideration or expressing it in such meetings, and as already covered it hadn't been stopped in the past.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2024, 05:05:53 PM »
Has this been 'accepted by the UK govt'? Evidence please.
Sure - but that would req

I don't think the devolution settlement rules out such consideration or expressing it in such meetings, and as already covered it hadn't been stopped in the past.

I take it there's something missing?