Author Topic: Sphen has died  (Read 251 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Sphen has died
« on: August 22, 2024, 08:23:49 AM »
Is this article a masterclass in celebrating same sex relationships properly, the love shared by couples or Disney-like anthropomorphisation of an extreme sentimental kind?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/22/magic-moment-sydney-aquarium-filled-with-song-after-sea-birds-mourn-death-of-gay-penguin-sphen

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Sphen has died
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2024, 10:05:27 AM »
Is this article a masterclass in celebrating same sex relationships properly, the love shared by couples or Disney-like anthropomorphisation of an extreme sentimental kind?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/22/magic-moment-sydney-aquarium-filled-with-song-after-sea-birds-mourn-death-of-gay-penguin-sphen
or a bit of all of them, and many other things.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 10:10:07 AM »
Did you feel like having a pop at same-sex relationships?

Have you got bored with Dawking on at us?

Homosexual activity has been observed in many species.

There's always a nasty undercurrent in a posting of this nature.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 11:01:03 AM »
Did you feel like having a pop at same-sex relationships?

Have you got bored with Dawking on at us?

Homosexual activity has been observed in many species.

There's always a nasty undercurrent in a posting of this nature.
I agree with Nearly Sane with the difference being to me it went OTT on sentimentality, Suggested some sort of miracle and anthropomorphism although it did bring a little lump to my throat and I felt for the little chap.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 11:06:27 AM »
I agree with Nearly Sane with the difference being to me it went OTT on sentimentality, Suggested some sort of miracle and anthropomorphism although it did bring a little lump to my throat and I felt for the little chap.
And yet I'm with Aruntraveller, and I don't disagree that it being a bit OTT in terms of sentimentality. The sad thing is that because of the hatred of homosexuality, much of based in religious teaching, a couple of penguins become this significant.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 11:12:18 AM »
Well, anthropomorphism is a topic worthy of discussion at any time, it was your pretext that felt off to me.

As if it is anthropomorphic to attribute homosexuality to an animal species (other than humans) and yet the same people who do that have no problem with accepting a heterosexual definition for animals. Surely that is just another display of anthropomorphism?

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 11:35:34 AM »
Reports suggest that Magic is reacting to his loss: I just hope that he finds a way to deal with his loss and grief and carry on. I know what that feels like.

For me, that he is a penguin, is incidental.

* edited since I got the name wrong originally.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 11:39:18 AM by Gordon »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 11:36:59 AM »
Reports suggest that Sphen is reacting to his loss: I just hope that he finds a way to deal with his loss and grief and carry on. I know what that feels like.

For me, that he is a penguin, is incidental.
Magic is reacting to the loss. Sphen is the penguin that has died

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 11:38:25 AM »
Magic is reacting to the loss. Sphen is the penguin that has died

Oops - I'll amend my post.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 11:59:15 AM »
Well, anthropomorphism is a topic worthy of discussion at any time, it was your pretext that felt off to me.

As if it is anthropomorphic to attribute homosexuality to an animal species (other than humans) and yet the same people who do that have no problem with accepting a heterosexual definition for animals. Surely that is just another display of anthropomorphism?
It's difficult to avoid anthropomorphism with animal behaviour since "man is the measure of all things". But it shouldn't be forgotten that human behaviour is animal behaviour, and that's more about what Sphen and Magic illustrate than anything else.