Author Topic: Interview with Rick Gervais on Atheism and religions  (Read 245 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Interview with Rick Gervais on Atheism and relig
« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:38:27 AM »
Gibberish.
Basic logic does seem to be that for you.

ETA I see you added the following after I replied

Science is based on observation of cause and effect not the intellectual masturbations of some chancer with a funny hat (Hume)

That you don't understand the problem of induction showing an absolute, and dismiss Hume on the basis of his headgear is a good illustration of your lack of understanding of basis logic, and quite funny.

And none of that even starts to address that your idea of a necessary being is simply an assertion.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:48:01 AM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #26 on: Today at 11:27:40 AM »
Basic logic does seem to be that for you.

ETA I see you added the following after I replied

That you don't understand the problem of induction showing an absolute, and dismiss Hume on the basis of his headgear is a good illustration of your lack of understanding of basis logic, and quite funny.

And none of that even starts to address that your idea of a necessary being is simply an assertion.
In what way are they an assertion?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Today at 11:29:28 AM »
In what way are they an assertion?
In the way that you've provided no evidence that such a thing is possible other than just assert it.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #28 on: Today at 11:35:30 AM »
In the way that you've provided no evidence that such a thing is possible other than just assert it.
I see, because I cannot evidence cause and effect. I cannot show a contingent thing.

And yet science which observes cause and effect provides evidence for what exactly?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Today at 11:38:15 AM »
I see, because I cannot evidence cause and effect. I cannot show a contingent thing.

And yet science which observes cause and effect provides evidence for what exactly?
As already covered science assumes it, and it's used because it works. Your asserting an absolute that it's true ignoring the problem of induction, and then pulling the idea of a necessary being out of nowhere with no evidence that it's possible. And that necessary following from contingent is just an assertion

« Last Edit: Today at 12:42:49 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Today at 11:43:57 AM »
As already covered science assumes it, and it's used because it works. Your asserting an absolute that it's true ignoring the problem of induction, and then pulling the idea of a necessary being out of nowhere with no evidence that it's possible.
And the remark you replied to was specific about the the idea that was just being asserted was the necessary being. Not sure why you switched it to contingent which has different problems as covered in my post above.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:49:21 AM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #31 on: Today at 12:36:51 PM »
As already covered science assumes it, and it's used because it works.
That is neither here nor there.It’s flannel.
Your asserting an absolute that it's true ignoring the problem of induction, and then pulling the idea of a necessary being out of nowhere with no evidence that it's possible.
The necessary being is pulled from contingency and contingent things. If contingency is wrong then everything must pop out of nothing.They would exist in their own right independently.

What is the methodology then which explains such entities?

Trying to think of how the problem of induction affects the ultimate entity in Ockham’s razor, and the ultimate entity?
« Last Edit: Today at 12:41:05 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Today at 12:40:45 PM »
The necessary being is pulled from contingency and contingent things. If contingency is wrong then everything must pop out of nothing.They would exist in their own right independently.

What is the methodology then which explains such entities?
So more assertions, and another begging the question by asking explanations for something you haven't shown is possible. And I'm not saying contingency is wrong, just that you haven't demonstrated it as an absolute.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:17:46 PM »
So more assertions, and another begging the question by asking explanations for something you haven't shown is possible. And I'm not saying contingency is wrong, just that you haven't demonstrated it as an absolute.
what in your mind haven’t I shown is possible.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Today at 01:37:27 PM »
what in your mind haven’t I shown is possible.
Anything necessary.