Author Topic: A lost TV programme?  (Read 111 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
A lost TV programme?
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:19:27 PM »
My wife and I were discussing how great some children's programmes in the 70s were, triggered by listening to a report on the 50th anniversary of the partition of Cyprus, and me saying how good John Craven's Newsround had been at explaining that to a then 10 year old me without being patronising.

We then both remembered an historical programme on the Princes in the Tower at around the same time, which ai was sure was presented by Magnus Magbusson, and was part of a series which featured the traditional song, Lavender's Blue a lot.

On looking at IMDB for Magnusson, I immediately thought the programme Children of Destiny would be it, and I think it's definitely part of that memory as I remember the Mary, Queen of Scots, and Tsarevitch Alexei episodes but nothing on the Princes in the Tower.
Can't find a reference in any wiki entry on the Princes to any such programme.

Any others remember?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13064520/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 04:32:58 PM by Nearly Sane »

Maeght

Re: A lost TV programme?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 07:54:09 PM »
I can also remember Magnus Magnusson presenting a programme on the Princes in the Tower, but can't remember what the programme was either - sorry.

With more Googling, seems it was called Unsolved Mysteries but doesn't seem to exist anywhere online.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 08:16:52 PM by Maeght »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 08:14:48 PM »
I can also remember Magnus Magnusson presenting a programme on the Princes in the Tower, but can't remember what the programme was either - sorry.

With more Googling, seems it was called Unsolved Mysteries but does seem to exist anywhere online.
Thank you

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 08:55:44 PM »

With more Googling, seems it was called Unsolved Mysteries but doesn't seem to exist anywhere online.
Just to add to my thank you, I find it amazing that we can all remember a programme fairly clearly that we can only have seen once that is 50 years old, and it probably doesn't exist anymore. Footsteps in the sand. 

Maeght

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 08:57:42 PM »
Just to add to my thank you, I find it amazing that we can all remember a programme fairly clearly that we can only have seen once that is 50 years old, and it probably doesn't exist anymore. Footsteps in the sand.

Yes, the brain, and memory in particular, is an amazing thing.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2024, 09:09:41 PM »
Yes, the brain, and memory in particular, is an amazing thing.
We're in Proustian territory about the power of certain memories, though the way we remember and what we remember is a whole study in itself. I think it was a great series, and not patronising, but I can't really judge.

I am sure about John Craven's Newsround being a bright shiny thing though