Author Topic: British beer drinkers, face the truth: a pint is too big, a half is too small ..  (Read 362 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
 all hail the two-thirds measure

I would generally just say fuck off but the most annoying thing is her idea that she feels 'short changed' by the half punt. There's generally a very small mark up on half pints vs pints, mainly 10p or so. Those places that have adopted schooners seem to use them to considerably mark up the price.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/sep/22/britain-beer-drink-pint-half-two-thirds

SteveH

• God? She's black.
If we went metric, half a litre's about 7/8 of a pint...
Bollocks, though: a pint s just right. Measures to encourage reduced consumption ("nudges") never work in the UK: I recall an article I read some years ago pointing out that Britons (well, mainly young British men, I suppose) have been drinking specifically in order to get drunk since before the Norman invasion, so we're unlikely to stop now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 09:36:44 AM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ad_orientem

I find the whole argument rather absurd. Let's face it, most people who go to the pub, especially on a Friday or Saturday night, are going to drink somewhat more than two pints. Why would the size of the measure make any difference then? If you can't handle a pint, don't buy one then.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
I would be in favour of the 2/3rds in addition to the standard pint. In fact, there is a brewery tap room near me where you can either have 2/3 or 1/3. Their beers, however, tend to be quite strong - 5% or more.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply