Author Topic: nature notes II  (Read 154549 times)

Enki

Re: nature notes II
« Reply #1025 on: November 23, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
It's been an interesting Autumn on the East Coast, especially at Spurn, where I've seen plenty of Autumn specialities, including scarce birds from Asia, America and Southern Europe. There's been a large influx of geese and swans recently. Where I live we often see lots of skeins of pink feet going over making their rather wistful far carrying calls. One day I decided to cycle in the general direction they often seemed to travel and came across a series of stubble fields with circa 2000 pinkfeet on them. So that's where they were headed. They return to the River Humber to roost. Later they will all travel to Western Britain to spend the winter. North Cave Wetlands has large numbers of whooper swans roosting at the moment, up to 80, which is a goodly number for these parts.

Watching woodmice at the moment eating some bread that we put out for them...
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Enki

« Reply #1026 on: January 24, 2021, 04:28:26 PM »
New year birding update:

Managed to get to north Cave very early Jan(before lockdown) at dawn. Saw circa 20 whooper swans, 4 Bewick's swans(3 adults, 2 immatures) and a murmuration of circa 100,000 starlings.

In my local area, visited a Park close by last week. Managed to see a singing mistle thrush, a tree creeper, 19 goosander and one of the very few waxwings in the country at the moment. Also, a cycle ride across Humber Bridge to a nature area called Far Ings produced an excellent bittern, which obligingly walked out of the nearby reeds and a kingfisher. A few snowdrops are out at the moment, plus early catkins and the daffodils are really starting to push up now. Looking forward to Tuesday when My wife and I get our vaccination jabs, and it also happens to be my 80th birthday. What an excellent present! Stay safe, everyone.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Roses

« Reply #1027 on: February 12, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56031151

This hedge trimmer fish is facing global extinction!
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Roses

« Reply #1028 on: February 20, 2021, 04:04:25 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56139243

An unusual cactus which blooms once, but only for 12 hours.

ekim

« Reply #1029 on: February 21, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
Masses of confused frogs all croaking away in a local pond and a lot of frog spawn.  I hope it contains some antifreeze.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1030 on: March 28, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »
Spotted a great spotted woodpecker this morning.

I have to ask myself how have I got to this age without ever having seen one before!
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1031 on: March 29, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
Spotted a great spotted woodpecker this morning.

I have to ask myself how have I got to this age without ever having seen one before!

WOW! It must be strange to get to the age of 100 without seeing one before. :P ;D We see them periodically in our garden.

We used to see a lot of grey squirrels, usually on the bird table, I haven't see one for at least a couple of years.   

SusanDoris

« Reply #1032 on: March 30, 2021, 05:57:30 PM »
I've been trying to find out if female SongThrushes and female Blackbirds sing, and if not, what sort of calls they make. I have tried a variety of questions without success, and would be grateful if anyone  can answer my queries.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Enki

« Reply #1033 on: April 01, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
I've been trying to find out if female SongThrushes and female Blackbirds sing, and if not, what sort of calls they make. I have tried a variety of questions without success, and would be grateful if anyone  can answer my queries.

Hi Susan,

There is some evidence that some female songbirds occasionally sing, especially in tropical areas.  However there is little evidence of the full full throated singing  of male song birds, especially in North America and Europe.

There is an interesting article which focuses on American eastern bluebirds which suggests that the females sing a subdued song to increase pair bonding and communication(they often remain together over several years).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/animal-minds/201908/why-do-female-birds-sing

However I do remain rather wary about this article because the author seems to suggest that because ornithology was largely male orientated, the idea of females singing was likely to be dismissed, a rather odd and debatable point as far as I am concerned.

However back to your question. There is no real evidence that female song thrushes sing although one must remember that it is hard to tell the difference between the sexes. Blackbirds(a related species) are much easier as the male is very distinctive. And again, as a general rule, there is no evidence that females sing.

In southern Europe there is a migratory songbird called the black headed bunting and you might find it interesting that in Spring the males always appear first(I once saw 20 birds in one tree, all males). They quickly establish territories and start singing from prominent postions. A week or so later, the females arrive.

Your other question was about the calls they make. Song thrushes have a subdued, rather soft tacking call whereas the blackbird has a loud tacking call, which can be very insistent if a predator(such as a cat) is close by.

Steven Wright

SusanDoris

« Reply #1034 on: April 01, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
enki

Many thanks for your most interesting and informative reply.  There is at least one SongThrush out the back here, so I shall make a point of trying to distinguish its calls.  He has not fully tuned up his song yet - he needs to get a bit more variety and flourish into it I think!
Blackbird warning calls are quite distinctive, aren't they.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1035 on: May 11, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »
enki

Now that the birds in the Close are in full voice, I know the SongThrush's call quite well.

There is one bird that I was hearing this morning that I'm not sure of. It is a smaller bird- its song is quietish. It sings five similar notes quite quickly, then a slight pause, then another slightly upturning decisive sort of finishing one. Very much like a sort of mini-Chaffinch!

Any ideas what it might be?

Enki

« Reply #1036 on: May 15, 2021, 08:18:09 PM »
enki

Now that the birds in the Close are in full voice, I know the SongThrush's call quite well.

There is one bird that I was hearing this morning that I'm not sure of. It is a smaller bird- its song is quietish. It sings five similar notes quite quickly, then a slight pause, then another slightly upturning decisive sort of finishing one. Very much like a sort of mini-Chaffinch!

Any ideas what it might be?

Hi Susan,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I've been thinking about your question and I think I might have the answer. A male greenfinch at this time of year sings a variety of similar songs, often with several twittery notes followed by a pause, and then a longish teez sound. If you can possibly listen to this Youtube video(below), about 20 seconds in, you can hear a greenfinch singing like this. I hope this is some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC1GldZaoUs
Steven Wright

SusanDoris

« Reply #1037 on: May 16, 2021, 09:07:21 AM »
Hi Susan,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I've been thinking about your question and I think I might have the answer. A male greenfinch at this time of year sings a variety of similar songs, often with several twittery notes followed by a pause, and then a longish teez sound. If you can possibly listen to this Youtube video(below), about 20 seconds in, you can hear a greenfinch singing like this. I hope this is some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC1GldZaoUs

Many thanks - yes, that is definitely the right sound! This particular Greenfinch did not follow with a wheeze though! -

Enki

« Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »
Had a majestic bird today, a most stunning black-browed albatross, seen at Bempton in company of about 400 other birders. It seems to be commuting across the North Sea between Germany, Holland and the UK. Sad to say, it will probably never get back to the Southern Atlantic from whence it came. It was worth getting up at 3.15 AM and standing in Northerly winds and drizzle. It has to be the bird of this century for me.
Steven Wright

SusanDoris

« Reply #1039 on: June 30, 2021, 09:38:50 PM »
Had a majestic bird today, a most stunning black-browed albatross, seen at Bempton in company of about 400 other birders. It seems to be commuting across the North Sea between Germany, Holland and the UK. Sad to say, it will probably never get back to the Southern Atlantic from whence it came. It was worth getting up at 3.15 AM and standing in Northerly winds and drizzle. It has to be the bird of this century for me.
That must have been so exciting. Has it been ringed already, or will someone do that while it stays north?

Enki

« Reply #1040 on: July 01, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
That must have been so exciting. Has it been ringed already, or will someone do that while it stays north?

I'm fairly certain it hasn't. There's no evidence from the photos.. It is very difficult to ring ocean going birds unless they're at their nests.
Steven Wright

ekim

« Reply #1041 on: July 02, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
This BBC Radio 3 link to "Listen and learn: a beginner’s guide to identifying birdsong." might be of interest to SusanDoris
https://tinyurl.com/26dwexwv

SusanDoris

« Reply #1042 on: July 02, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
This BBC Radio 3 link to "Listen and learn: a beginner’s guide to identifying birdsong." might be of interest to SusanDoris
https://tinyurl.com/26dwexwv
Thank you. I've clicked on it and listened to the blackbird. I'm slightly surprised that the presenter did not mention that the black bird almost always ends with a trill or chuckle, but no matter!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #1043 on: July 02, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
If those d****d gulls and ravens, not to mention pigeons, don't put a sock in it at four' o'clock every morning, drowning out that melodious cockeral, there will be a few less species to worry about........
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1044 on: July 02, 2021, 11:19:49 AM »
If those d****d gulls and ravens, not to mention pigeons, don't put a sock in it at four' o'clock every morning, drowning out that melodious cockeral, there will be a few less species to worry about........

I feel your pain. After a relatively quite year (compared to last year) the seagulls have suddenly swung into full on annoying mode here.

I, too, was not best pleased at 4 am this morning.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #1045 on: July 13, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »
A baby beaver has been born for the first time in 400 years on Exmoor.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1046 on: June 03, 2022, 06:46:11 PM »
Rosa gallica 'versicolor' ('Rosa Mundi') in my front garden.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1047 on: June 03, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
Dog rose and yellw iris.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1048 on: June 03, 2022, 07:14:45 PM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1049 on: June 17, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
As it was such a nice day yesterday we took ourselves off to Selsey Bill for a walk and sit on the beach. We got up to Pagham RSPB sanctuary and plonked ourselves down with sandwiches and coffee and listened to the birds and the gentle sea. It was a lovely day. It got even better as a skylark decided to do its ascending thing. Breathtakingly beautiful.

One of those rare, precious moments.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 08:44:56 AM by Trentvoyager »