Author Topic: nature notes II  (Read 154548 times)

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
Re: nature notes II
« Reply #1050 on: June 19, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »
As it was such a nice day yesterday we took ourselves off to Selsey Bill for a walk and sit on the beach. We got up to Pagham RSPB sanctuary and plonked ourselves down with sandwiches and coffee and listened to the birds and the gentle sea. It was a lovely day. It got even better as a skylark decided to do its ascending thing. Breathtakingly beautiful.

One of those rare, precious moments.

Sounds great, might give it a try given suitable weather next week :)
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

ekim

« Reply #1051 on: June 19, 2022, 02:14:35 PM »
As it was such a nice day yesterday we took ourselves off to Selsey Bill for a walk and sit on the beach. We got up to Pagham RSPB sanctuary and plonked ourselves down with sandwiches and coffee and listened to the birds and the gentle sea. It was a lovely day. It got even better as a skylark decided to do its ascending thing. Breathtakingly beautiful.

One of those rare, precious moments.

How is Bill these days?  Is he keeping well?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1052 on: June 27, 2022, 05:41:40 AM »
Two photos of the magnificent spear thistle, Cirsium vulgare, in my back garden, 2.08 metres tall and still growing: spear thistles re only supposed to grow to 1.5 metres maximum! It has just opened its first flower. I will save seeds and see if I can start a strain of giant thistles. I risked life and limb for the second photo - I had to stand on a wobbly chair.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1053 on: August 28, 2022, 07:17:03 AM »
Sowbread, Cyclamen hederifolium, self-seeded in my herb bed. Non-native, but widely naturalised, Flowers in the autumn (or late summer, as now), before the leaves appear. I will transfer it to the base of one of my apple trees in the late autumn.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ekim

« Reply #1054 on: September 08, 2022, 03:39:11 PM »
They seem to spread quite well.  There are many growing along road verges.  Here is a photo I took today in a local woodland where they are growing through the ground ivy.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #1055 on: February 06, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Where are all the crocuses? There seems to be a slight rearrangement of the usual winter sequence Snowdrops - Crocuses - Daffodils here in Bristol. Plenty of snowdrops for two weeks now, and soon after the first daffodils. The only sign I see of the crocuses is a few leaves coming through.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1056 on: April 09, 2023, 07:33:38 PM »
Apple buds finally starting to break on my 'Brownlees' Russet' tree, raised in Hemel Hempstead (where I live) by a Mr Brownlees, and introduced in 1848. Apple blossom is a bit late this year, because of the crap weather in early Spring, which is no bad thing, as it means that the blossom is less likely to be zapped by a late frost. I'm expecting a heavy harvest this year, as my biennial-bearing trees (all of them except 'Brownlees' Russet') have an "on" year this year. Loadsa luvverly cider!

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1057 on: April 09, 2023, 07:35:25 PM »
They seem to spread quite well.  There are many growing along road verges.  Here is a photo I took today in a local woodland where they are growing through the ground ivy.
Beautiful!

Enki

« Reply #1058 on: August 05, 2023, 04:58:35 PM »
Seems this is a good year for red admiral butterflies, despite the rain. They are here in numbers. They are regular at the moment in my garden when the sun shines in between rain showers. Some butterflies, often migrants like the painted lady or the red admiral, have years when they are especially abundant.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1059 on: August 05, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Seems this is a good year for red admiral butterflies, despite the rain. They are here in numbers. They are regular at the moment in my garden when the sun shines in between rain showers. Some butterflies, often migrants like the painted lady or the red admiral, have years when they are especially abundant.

Yep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66395590

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1060 on: August 05, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »
I've seen a few red admirals on my Buddleja davidii, alias "butterfly bush", because it attracts them.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #1061 on: October 12, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »
The changing weather of the late summer and autumn has brought out an eruption of nice edible fungi around Bristol. Plenty of horse mushrooms (Agaricus arvensis), a number of Parasols (possibly Macrolepiota gracilenta, rather than the bigger procera), and a line of early Trooping Funnels (Clitocybe geotropa - renamed by some as Infundibulicybe geotropa).
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David