Author Topic: Dangerous cycling law.  (Read 1093 times)

Roses

Dangerous cycling law.
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:46:57 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45154708

A new law against dangerous cycling is being considered. It is an issue I feel very strongly about. I hope it is brought in and very soon. There are so many cyclists who don't think the rules of the road apply to them. I have seen them jump red lights, ride down one way streets the wrong way, I was nearly knocked down by one idiot not long ago, doing just that on a narrow road in our village. >:( I also take issue with cyclists who ride up to four abreast not letting cars pass them, this cause frustration and can lead to accidents.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Dangerous cycling law.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
All the things you mention are already illegal, so why do we need a new law?
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
Isn't the argument covered in the link? It does appear as it makes clear that it's a bit piecemeal but a more wide ranging review of the law would seem to make sense. Personally I would have the charge of dangerous walking introduced  as well.

ekim

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
... and some would add dangerous invalid carriage driving.

Spud

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »

Maeght

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »

There is no equivalent to death by dangerous driving fir cyclists so a specific offence needs to be introduced it seems.

Roses

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
There is no equivalent to death by dangerous driving fir cyclists so a specific offence needs to be introduced it seems.

Exactly.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
As a driver I have come across instances of dangerous, careless and thoughtless behaviour by cyclists. The worst was when on a quiet, winding country road a cyclist suddenly appeared in front of me on the wrong side of his road - clearly cutting a corner to save slowing down. We did not collide - but this was a significant factor in my purchase of a dash cam.

Groups of cyclists ride three abreast or string themselves out - in both instances they make safe passing difficult or impossible.

Cyclists have every right to be on the road and they deserve to be treated with care and respect. But in their turn they should recognise that sharing a road with motorists bring with it responsibilities as well as rights. Perhaps we should consider whether adult cyclists should carry compulsory insurance.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
Manslaughter. The selfish idiot who killed a woman because he was riding a track bike with no brakes got banged up for a few years, and would have got longer had his victim not been partly to blame - she was looking at a smartphone.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
Manslaughter. The selfish idiot who killed a woman because he was riding a track bike with no brakes got banged up for a few years, and would have got longer had his victim not been partly to blame - she was looking at a smartphone.
Except manslaughter wasn't found in this, and indeed other cases.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »
But it could have been. The point is that we don't need new laws when existing laws cover the offence.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
But it could have been. The point is that we don't need new laws when existing laws cover the offence.
No, it was tried and not found.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
I don't really see why cyclists shouldn't have laws applying to them in the same way that motorists do.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
No, it was tried and not found.
That's probably because the woman was partly at fault.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
That's probably because the woman was partly at fault.
So your point doesn't address the anomaly between the law in driving and cycling. Dangerous driving was introduced in part because of juries' reluctance to find manslaughter.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
You're just trying to pick an argument for the hell of it, as usual. Goodbye.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
You're just trying to pick an argument for the hell of it, as usual. Goodbye.
No, I think there is a reasonable question about whether the law has problems. Why is disagreeing with you mean I'm picking an argument for the hell of it?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:16:49 PM »
But he was found not guilty of manslaughter and convicted on a charge of "wanton and furious driving" which was a law they dredged up from 1861 that carries a maximum sentence of two years. He got 18 months and I don't care if the victim was looking at her phone, if he's had a bike with brakes (i.e. one that was legal) he would not have killed her.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
But he was found not guilty of manslaughter and convicted on a charge of "wanton and furious driving" which was a law they dredged up from 1861 that carries a maximum sentence of two years. He got 18 months and I don't care if the victim was looking at her phone, if he's had a bike with brakes (i.e. one that was legal) he would not have killed her.

Agreed.

Roses

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »
When I was a child in my home island, a licence was required if you had a bicycle.